Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5552 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 1 of 7
08 September 2010 at 12:43pm | IP Logged 
First of all, please forgive me for posting this. I know what I'm looking for has been discussed before - although I don't know how long ago - this thread is basically just about my total inability to use the search function properly.

A while ago - I am not sure if it was a few months or a even a few years, because I do go that far back to look around sometimes - someone posted the name of a book which compared the makeup of words (I specifically remember noun suffixes although it must have more than that) in the Romance languages. To take one example -

If in Italian a word ends in -zione, then in Spanish it would probably end in -ción (if I remember my pathetic Spanish) and in French it would end in -tion. And it seems that in Portuguese it would end in -ção - it probably being no coincidence that these suffixes are all feminine.

Someone posted a lot of these comparisons and it interested me, but for some reason I didn't write the book's name down and I thoroughly regret it now. Could anyone point me to it or something like it?

Again, I apologise for having to even write this in the first place, and thank you very much for anything you may be able to dig up.

Jack
1 person has voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5106 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 2 of 7
08 September 2010 at 1:16pm | IP Logged 
LanguageSponge wrote:
A while ago - I am not sure if it was a few months or a even a few years, because I do go that far back to look around sometimes - someone posted the name of a book which compared the makeup of words

One of the best comparisons can be found in the classic The Loom of Language. A more recent book is EuroComRom's The Seven Sieves. Most of the content from this book is also available at their web site.

6 persons have voted this message useful

daristani
United States
Joined 6930 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 3 of 7
08 September 2010 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
While various books on historical Romance linguistics would have such information, I think the one you're thinking of just might be:

"From Latin to Romance in Sound Charts" by Peter Boyd-Bowman

The Amazon site has a couple of reviews which describe it, and note the absence of coverage of Romanian:

http://www.amazon.com/Latin-Romance-Sound-Charts/dp/08784007 7X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283944467&sr=8-2
3 persons have voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5106 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 4 of 7
08 September 2010 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
daristani wrote:
The Amazon site has a couple of reviews which describe it, and note the absence of coverage of Romanian:

If you're interested in Romanian, the free EuroComRom web site has some Romanian examples and other information about the connections between Romanian and the other Romance languages.

3 persons have voted this message useful

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5908 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 5 of 7
08 September 2010 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
This one is excellent if you can read French. There are also versions in the other Romance languages:

http://openlibrary.org/books/OL19241303M/Comprendre_les_lang ues_romanes
2 persons have voted this message useful

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7007 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 6 of 7
09 September 2010 at 12:44am | IP Logged 

This is probably the thread . The book in French is great, as I showed it to my Spanish professor. Although limited to the big Romance languages.
2 persons have voted this message useful

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5552 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 7 of 7
09 September 2010 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
Thank you very much, all of you, for your help. When looking into this, I didn't expect to have such a wide choice - completely spoilt for choice actually - so now I have to agonise over which one to buy as my university library will undoubtedly have none of them. Thank you for the link, alang, that is indeed the thread I was talking about. I see that The Loom of Language also covers Teutonic languages to some extent, which will be useful to me later on, no doubt. Thanks again,

Jack

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version