Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4795 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 9 of 14
14 March 2014 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
The B in ABN does not stand for Belgish but for Beschaafd. ABN is Standard dutch.
It does not mean flemish to be onbeschaafd.

As for learning flemish you will have to either pick a part of Flanders and learn the local flemish or learn ABN with flemish accent.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6481 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 14
16 March 2014 at 11:14am | IP Logged 
Could somebody with the necessary background compile a list of Youtube-videos which are genuine Flemish and not ABN with a Flemish accent?

I have of course visited Belgium lots of times since my first visit in 1972, but until a few years ago I had to stick to English(/German) or French, depending on the region. But as a matter of fact I have hardly heard any certified Flemish since I discovered that Dutch is a comprehensible language, and the steward on an airplane from Brussels to Copenhagen a week ago with whom I had a few short conversations was almost certainly not speaking a hardcore Flemish dialect (although he pronounced "voor" as /vo:r/ and not as /fo:r/ as the Netherlanders do). And this thread has made me curious about the percentage of the speech I would be able to understand.

Edited by Iversen on 16 March 2014 at 11:16am

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4485 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 11 of 14
16 March 2014 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Could somebody with the necessary background compile a list of
Youtube-videos which are genuine Flemish and not ABN with a Flemish accent?

I have of course visited Belgium lots of time before, but back then I stuck
to English(or German) and French, depending on the locality. But as a matter of fact I
have hardly heard any certified Flemish since I discovered that Dutch is a
comprehensible language, and the steward on an airplane from Brussels to Copenhagen a
week ago with whom I had a few short conversations was almost certainly not speaking a
hardcore Flemish dialect (although he pronounced "voor" as /vo:r/ and not as /f:or/ as
the Netherlanders do). And this thread has made me curious about the percentage of the
speech I would be able to understand.

The separation of v/f in initial position is a typically Belgian and southern Dutch
feature.

Vlaams-voor-beginners-Ziej-mee.dhtml">West-Vlaams

Besides that, Flemish dialects are spoken in home environments, rarely with outsiders.
And by outsider I mean someone from the next town 10 km away.

Edited by tarvos on 16 March 2014 at 11:23am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4795 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 12 of 14
16 March 2014 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Could somebody with the necessary background compile a list of Youtube-videos which are genuine Flemish and not ABN with a Flemish accent?

You need to be native or expert to have necessary background - I am not but I think this video could help.

http://youtu.be/kbZ14g0y_iQ

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6481 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 14
16 March 2014 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
Interesting video, and I barely understood half the sentences. I followed some of the links the the right, but most ended up as songs, others as amateur comedy (same pattern as I have seen with other dialects, including Danish). Some were designed to show the difficulties, like a pretended computer course in Western Flemish - but it was actually funny, and I understood slightly more here. And finally I ended up with a talk show named "Iedereen West-Vlaams" which I basically understood. But the reason is obvoius: it was mainly in ordinary ABN, and whenever somebody spoke in the real W.F. dialect there were subtitles. Which shows that I'm not the only one to have problems. On the other hand: a couple of hours in pure dialect WITH subtitles is the best possible way to make that kind of stuff comprehensible. Even if the dialect speakers may find that it is an insult to them that others can't understand them. And last but not least: while I was writing I found this delightful interview with an elderly couple where the lady tells her husband to open his mouth when he speaks (an excellent advice which will help many dialect speakers to achieve better communication results), and then she asks the cameraman or whoever else is behind the camera whether they understand what her husband says. Niö? Well, maybe a bit of it, but a couple of hours more of this stuff would help a lot. And please without music, btu with subtitles.

Edited by Iversen on 16 March 2014 at 1:14pm

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4606 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 14 of 14
16 March 2014 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
And please without music, btu with subtitles.

A plea with which I'd heartily agree, in almost all circumstances.
If someone's singing, then, fine, let's have music.
But if they are speaking then I want to be able to hear them (or at least be able to
decide whether they are worth listening to).

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version