littlelee
Canada
Joined 5002 days ago

13 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 2
14 September 2010 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
Today was my first day of Russian class and we were just going through the alphabet
today. We got to ы and I've been totally stuck on it. My prof kept asking me to repeat
it, and she said it sounded right... but I know the right sound came out as a fluke and
now that I'm at home, I can't remember the sound well enough to recreate it.

I know it's just my first class (I'm in this class three days a week) and I will have
tons of opportunity to get it down, but I was wondering if there are any tips on how to
master it better, or maybe a clip of someone just repeating it's sound over and over so I
can get used to the sound and practice it?

For English native who learned how to say it, how long did it take and was it as
frustrating for you as it seems to be for me? lol
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5343 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 2 of 2
14 September 2010 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
This is the toughest one to master, I think. My breakthrough came when I stopped trying to approximate the sound in terms of familiar English phonemes, and simply learnt to move my tongue further back in the mouth whilst pronouncing "ee" till it seemed about right. It really is a very different sound.

Palatalisation was also quite difficult for me at first, but I quickly developed the sounds by initially cheating and adding an adjoining "y" sound straight after.

I'm still very far from native pronunciation, but on a good day can persuade Russians that I might have heralded from the Baltics. ;)

Edited by Teango on 14 September 2010 at 1:15am

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version