Romania
Joined 4995 days ago

79 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, EnglishC1, GermanB2

Message 18 of 39
03 October 2010 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 

Elapsed time: 1 month

Vocabulary: +951 words

I haven't been very focused these last few days. This, coupled with my determination to learn the genders has lead to almost 300 words that were due today in my SRS. In addition, there are 190 that I haven't reviewed yet.

I've turned off new cards and I'm currently fighting to stabilize due cards to a reasonable number. I will also refrain from adding new ones for a few days.

I started the DW "Warum Nicht" course. I thought of skipping to A2.2 level, but I started from the beginning for the sake of continuity. Right now I'm just passing through the early stages and, with the exception of a word here and there I'm just reviewing what I already know.
1 person has voted this message useful

Frieza
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 5164 days ago

102 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: German

Message 19 of 39
07 October 2010 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
valkyr wrote:

I started the DW "Warum Nicht" course. I thought of skipping to A2.2 level, but I started from the beginning for the sake of continuity. Right now I'm just passing through the early stages and, with the exception of a word here and there I'm just reviewing what I already know.

Considering that Deutsch - warum nicht? isn't structured into levels, is it possible that you mean DW Deutsch Interaktiv?

In a few weeks' time, I plan to take the last two lessons of level A.2.2 of Deutsch Interaktiv, having already done the previous 18 lessons and the first two series of Deutsch - warum nicht?
Then I intend to combine Deutsch Interaktiv at B1 level with the last two series of Deutsch - warum nicht?, two versions of Assimil (German with Ease / L'Allemand) and Langenscheidt Basic German Vocabulary and I may throw in some videos from BBC and DW into the mix.
If this synergy doesn't work, I guess I really am incompatible with German.

valkyr
Triglot
Groupie
Romania
Joined 4995 days ago

79 posts - 112 votes 

Message 20 of 39
12 October 2010 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 

Elapsed time: 1 month and 2 weeks

Vocabulary: +960 words

@Frieza
I'm referring to the 'Warum nicht?' course. You're right, it's not structured into levels, but I assumed a correspondence between its 4 parts and A1.1 A1.2 A2.1 A2.2, which should pretty much be the case since it covers everything up to B1.

I just finished going through part 1 of 'Deutsch - Warum nicht?'. I can't say I've learned much. What I liked about it is that all conversations are natural, stuff that you would actually hear people say, spoken in a very colloquial tone, with background noise sometimes, whereas the Pimsleur series sounded much more artificial.

I've also caught up with my SRS and have enabled new words again. I set the new word count to 20 / day. This will ensure 600 new words per month, which is satisfactory. I may do more if I have the time.

valkyr
Triglot
Groupie
Romania
Joined 4995 days ago

79 posts - 112 votes 

Message 21 of 39
14 October 2010 at 12:42pm | IP Logged 

Vocabulary: +962 words

I just took an online test   (http://www.goethe.de/cgi-bin/einstufu ngstest/einstufungstest.pl - a blank character is automatically introduced somewhere in the URL, so you have to remove it after pasting the link in the address bar) on Goethe Institut's web page. I scored 18/30.

My result was: Nicht schlecht, Sie können sich in vielen Situationen des alltäglichen Lebens zurechtfinden. But they don't elaborate (I was hoping for a level recommendation).

Edited by valkyr on 16 October 2010 at 10:42pm

valkyr
Triglot
Groupie
Romania
Joined 4995 days ago

79 posts - 112 votes 

Message 22 of 39
16 October 2010 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 

Elapsed time: 1 month and 3 weeks

Vocabulary: +1031 words

I passed the 1000 word mark. I added the most important prepositions, together with the case they require in the SRS. This was a sticking point for me, I would sometimes know the gender but still the sentence would come out wrong because I ignored the case modifications brought about by certain prepositions.

I'm well into the 2nd Series of "Deutsch Warum Nicht". The lessons are not challenging yet, but I enjoy listening to them none the less.

My company decided to sponsor some German language courses. I'm not sure what level they will be geared towards, but I'll try to enroll in a group that is at least a B1 (possibly even B2), since I enjoy the challenge, not to mention that motivation is a lot higher when everybody else is better than you.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Frieza
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 5164 days ago

102 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: German

Message 23 of 39
29 October 2010 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
valkyr wrote:

Vocabulary: +960 words

@Frieza
I'm referring to the 'Warum nicht?' course. You're right, it's not structured into levels, but I assumed a correspondence between its 4 parts and A1.1 A1.2 A2.1 A2.2, which should pretty much be the case since it covers everything up to B1.

'Warum nicht' covers everything up to B1, including the entire B1 level itself.
I quite like this course and would recommend it to anyone. My only beef is that the narrator's German pronunciation (in the (Brazilian) Portuguese version that is) is appalling.

Edited by Frieza on 30 May 2011 at 6:13pm

tornus
Diglot
GroupieRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4954 days ago

82 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Swedish, Danish

Message 24 of 39
30 October 2010 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
i'm pretty amazed you learn so much vocabulary in a so short period especially at the beginning: 456 word in 2 weeks ! that more than 30 words per day!
damn, you rock dude

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version