Germany
Joined 6450 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 17 of 20
04 November 2011 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
ProfArguelles wrote:
I can also concede that the loss of the great majority of languages, which only have a few hundred or at most a thousand speakers and have never been written down, will not be a terrible loss.

I strongly disagree: The value of a language does not only consist in the literature it has produced. Linguistic textbooks are full of examples from obscure languages that show how languages can express concepts in different ways. Linguistic diversity helps us to understand general patterns that govern language, which will become much more difficult if the number of languages is reduced.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Remster
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4590 days ago

120 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 18 of 20
04 November 2011 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
It depends, languages that are spoken nationwide won't disappear in the near future.
They might change though.f
Honestly, languages dying out is a natural proces. It's sad when it happens, but there's not much you can do about it. A language spoken somewhere in a remote rainforest won't be missed, even though it might've been a fun language.
Some linguistic people will miss it, but if it's hardly known, there won't be much of an impact.

Now I would be curious what would happen if someone made English disappear overnight.
Although that would mean I'd go back to being monolingual...
1 person has voted this message useful

Superking
Diglot
Groupie
United States
polyglutwastaken.blo
Joined 6428 days ago

87 posts - 194 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin

Message 19 of 20
26 January 2012 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
Keeping a language alive that has below a certain number of speakers is not dissimilar to trying to keep a species alive that is down to its last 10-20 members. In the case of species, there is just probably not enough biodiversity to keep the line going, and in the case of languages, there is just not enough going on there to avoid a collapse. Two Tagish speakers, no matter how fervent they are, are going to have a devil of a time keeping their language alive in the middle of an English and French-speaking country such as Canada. Which language are their children going to learn? I think history shows us that they're going to speak what their peers speak, not what their parents speak.

Language loss is not good news, no more than species loss is -- however, oftentimes it's unavoidable and the only thing we can do is document them and save them as history. Trying to revive them often seems like no more than a vigorous upstream swim.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5890 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 20 of 20
18 February 2012 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
Clumsy wrote:
"I got an idea.

making a big library, both with text and recordings.
speakers of endangered languages would be invited to write as much as they can, and contribute to the library.
then, even if they will dissapear, people will have enough info to make them alive again, or at least it would useful to scientists."

You may interested to read this article from the BBC - Digital Tools to Save languages
Facebook, YouTube and texting are being used to preserve and promote some of the world's endangered languages. There's even an iPhone app for Tuvan (spoken in Mongolia and Siberia).

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version