Learning swedish so I can talk to my gf

Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
David_Schmavid
United Kingdom
Joined 5693 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 1 of 3
17 September 2010 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
my girlfriend is English but has swedish family and has lived and worked there for a year. she has a good grasp of the language. I want to learn the language so that we can
hold conversations on literature, art, politics, and mostly, to say shitty things about
people we don't like at parties in front of them.

my main problems come from structuring my learning so that I have incremental goals other than 'spend this amount of time studying every day', which I already do. What would be better would be to benchmark myself against someone that is good at learning, so that they can say 'after four months i knew most adjective declensions, xxx vocabulary' and such, and to have an idea in which order i ought to learn things. The latter of these is because i am an extremely impulsive person and often abandon one thing for somethign else on a whim, for instance, I have a very difficult time making sure I go through Anki on a regular basis.I need to be able to tell myself 'no, you need to do this first'.

here's what I do and have done so far:

at present I commute four hours a day on the bus, in that time i spend
between 1 and 3 hours reading 'Swedish in Three Months' - though this has
only been for 2 weeks. Im reading paul auster at teh minute and its hard to put down.
I try to put some of the words from this into anki but I am slacking on
supplementing my knowledge of words with flashcard type learning.

I visited the country with my girlfriend, but barely learnt anything as I had just started. I had done the first 11 lessons of a Swedish Pimsleur course i torrented.

Ive not returned to the pimsleur course.

I've also finished unit one (each unit is divided into four) of Swedish on Rosetta Stone, which I have lessons 1-3 of. I want to get this on a laptop so that when I work I can put in another half hour at lunch as I definitely find rosetta stone most useful, but my current working conditions mean im generally too tired when I get home at seven thirty (i leave at 6.30am) to want to sit in front of a pc another hour.

I would like more audio courses, but I haven't the money to pay a premium for them.
any suggestions as to how I can approach that problem are much appreciated, if not
I would appreciate any advice on which are the best audio courses to pay for.

My girlfriend also records sentences from things we've done together. I see her about
4 days a month as we live in different parts of the country. When we're apart I ask
her to make me vocabulary tapes with sentences covering things we have done
'we drove to london in my mother's car' etc. - vi kor till london i min mohr's bil'
(im guessing at till here as i have forgotten)

It would be useful If i coudl get her to send me other things as we dont
see much of one another. I had thought she could send me key words and phrases
from the Swedish in THree Months book, so i have supplemented the words with
audio - the L-R method. I'd also like to find simple reading material that
is in swedish on one side and English on another, that she could read for me and
i could listen to at work. The trouble is how best to do this, for instance, should she read it in English then read it in swedish, or just in swedish so I can listen whilst i read both the English and swedish translation.
also - i had meant to cut the audio she sends me up in Audacity, so that it resembles
the pimsleur learning style more, but it is difficult to find the time to do that, so
i would like to know how necessary that is. To use my previous example I would
cut her vocabulary up so that the mp3 played like this;

'we drove
'vi kor'
'we drove to london'
'vi drove till london'
'drove'
'kor'
'car'
'bil'
'how do you say " a car'
'en bil'
how do you say 'a black car'
'en svarta bil' (again a guess)
how do you say 'black'
'svart'
and 'car'
'bil'
etc. etc.

Any suggestions from the more experienced as to how I can tie up these threads into a coherent learning structure is very much appreciated.

Edited by David_Schmavid on 17 September 2010 at 1:59pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5860 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 2 of 3
17 September 2010 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
You'll probably find the program GradInt very useful.

This will take the sentences your girlfriend records and automatically make a series of Pimsleur style lessons out of them. I've found it very useful for revising phrases for an exam that I have coming up.
4 persons have voted this message useful

David_Schmavid
United Kingdom
Joined 5693 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 3 of 3
17 September 2010 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
thanks so much for that it looks brilliant.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version