51 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
soatesuk
United Kingdom
Joined 5155 days ago

2 posts - 3 votes
Studies: German

Message 49 of 51
29 December 2010 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
Can you find these materials in the High Street any more? I find it most depressing that both WH Smiths and Waterstones have given up the ghost on language books in general. It reflects the total lack of interest both from Govt. and schools to integrate with Europe, esp, Germany.
1 person has voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5360 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 50 of 51
29 December 2010 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
It will be interesting to see how Paul Noble deals with German (he teaches a live course, after all) - Given that the Michel Thomas course misses the case system as well as the effect prepositions have on sentence formation (a feature best dealt with, in my opinion, by the Hugo 3 Months course), it will be interesting to see if the Paul Noble method chooses to ignore the same linguistic features.

On a different note I have obtained the Italian course - and save from doing Pimsleur a few years back, I speak no Italian, so I will try it and compare it with MT to see how effective his course is.
1 person has voted this message useful

Enrico
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3540 days ago

162 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Italian, Spanish, French

Message 51 of 51
03 September 2014 at 1:07am | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
I discovered these brand new all audio course while browsing in my local bookshop. The one
that was on the shelf was Collins
French with Paul Noble
. I have to say the contents were "interesting". It consists of 12 audio CD's, and when I
looked at the associated book, it reminded me a LOT of the Michel Thomas series. I've no idea what's on the audio,
so they may not be that close. Interestingly, it has four glowing reviews on Amazon, even though it's just published
(16th September 2010). The other thing that really stood out was the price. It seems very cheap for a 12 CD course.

I'd love to hear feedback if anyone has used or purchased it ?

I went thru Collins Italian with Paul Noble, thru 8CD of 12CD Collins French with Paul Noble and thru 1CD of
Spanish with Paul Noble. I'm at the half of Michel Thomas Italian Foundation and I would say Paul Noble is
somewhere around Michel Thomas Foundation course. May be less deep a little bit but more clear and
comprehensive. He uses native speakers and does not have those annoying and confusing students.

Edited by Enrico on 03 September 2014 at 1:10am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version