Groupie
Russian Federation
Joined 5011 days ago

54 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 1 of 5
21 September 2010 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
Here is the text which I've translated from Russian into English but I still have some doubts about it's correctness - in grammar and in the word's choice.
Please, someone help me to edit it...
Don't pay attention to the subject of the article it's just a random topic with political vocabulary, nothing personal, only language.
Thank you.

The text:

Recently the elections in Russia took place and it is a recurring theme for mass media both in our state and abroad. The case (the matter?) is is the interests of Mr Putin collided head-on with the interests of the west in (on/at?) coming (impending?) elections.
The governing party of Mr Putin - United Russia - showed it's best side and won a landslide victory getting the maximum quantity of seats in the Parliament (of the parliamentory seats?). So UR is guaranteed to be returned for the third consequative term of office.
It is necessary to note that in our state the system of proportional representation in (?) the government functions. In all, ten parties took part in the elections. In defiance (spite?) of the west's prognosis (forecasts?) two more parties managed to surmount the hurdles and to (?) get a sufficient quantity (reserve?) of votes to have magnificent influence over (on/upon?) the government. We want to hope that the parliament in its present strucrure (staff?) won't (doesn't) lose the folks' trust too soon.
The day before the elections which took place on the second of December the mutual (reciprocal?) accusation of the neglect of the standards of democracy between Russia ant the west didn't stop (cease/end?). So the west analitics spoke about Russia's slide to arbitrary rule and that Mr Putin has restored the nation's self-respect and power of the state only thanks to soaring gas and oil prices. Such behavior of the west critics is rather typical, to intervene into (?) any states business became their habit a long time ago (long ago?).
A (the?) week before the elections Mr Putin accused the opponents of United Russia of colluding with the west, the purpose of which is to weaken and divide the state in order to capture (seize?) and loot (plunder/pillage?) its energetic resources. In opinion of today president of Russia to oppose this party is akin to an act of treason.
Retorting (objecting?) the west's accusation Mr Putin's supporters pleaded on (to?) the magnificent flaws of democracy which had taken place in European states and in the USA. When the poll was finished on the whole territory of the Russian Federation our government particularly emphasized that neither gerrymandering nor vote-rigging nor electoral fraud nor ballot boxes switch were registered.
So far as the west representatives missed the opportunity to observe the poll on the polling stations there was nothing for them but to concentrate their attention on unimportant unprinciple (?) points of the elections. In particular the journalists icessantly discuss the fact that there was a great number of electors who abstained from voting and that (?) the turnout wasn't high. However it may be the elections were acknowledged (admitted?) to be legitimate and ***.

*** - don't know how to translate, состоявшимися

I'll be very gratefull if someone also explains me the difference between the words chosen by me and between the ones in brackets. Thanks.
1 person has voted this message useful

Paskwc
Pentaglot
Canada
Joined 5473 days ago

450 posts - 624 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Urdu*, Arabic (Levantine), French, English
Studies: Persian, Spanish

Message 2 of 5
21 September 2010 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
Recently the elections in Russia took place and it is a recurring theme for mass media
both in our state and abroad. The matter is the interests of Mr Putin collided head-on
with the interests of the West in (the elections can’t be coming if they’ve already
happened).
The governing party of Mr Putin - United Russia - showed its best side and won a
landslide victory getting the maximum quantity (wouldn’t the maximum quantity be all
the seats?) of parliamentary seats. So UR is guaranteed to be returned for the third
consecutive term of office.
It is necessary to note that in our state, a system of proportional representation
functions in the government. In all, ten parties took part in the elections. In
contrast of the West's prognosis two more parties managed to surmount the hurdles and
to receive a sufficient number of votes to have significant influence over the
government. We want to hope that the parliament in its present condition doesn't lose
the folks' trust too soon.
The day before the elections which took place on the second of December mutual
accusations of the neglect of democratic standards continued between Russia and the
West. So the Western analysts spoke about Russia's slide to arbitrary rule and that Mr.
Putin has restored the nation's self-respect and power of the state only thanks to
soaring gas and oil prices. Such behaviour of Western critics is rather typical, to
intervene in any states business became their habit long ago.
The week before the elections Mr. Putin accused the opponents of United Russia of
colluding with the West, with the intent to weaken and divide the state in order to
control and exploit its energy resources. In today’s opinion for the president of
Russia to oppose this party is akin to an act of treason.
Responding to the West's accusations, Mr. Putin's supporters referenced the
considerable shortcomings of democracy as it exists in various European states and the
USA. When the polls closed across the whole of the Russian Federation our government
particularly emphasized that neither gerrymandering, nor vote-rigging, nor electoral,
fraud, nor ballot boxes switch were registered.
So far, as Western representatives missed the opportunity to observe the election at
the polling stations, there was nothing for them but to concentrate their attention on
insignificant points of the elections. In particular the journalists incessantly
discuss the fact that there was a great number of electors who abstained from voting
and that the turnout wasn't high. However it may be the elections were recognized to be
legitimate and ***.

Case/matter/issue = can all mean the same thing
in/on/at = use in
coming/impending = they mean the same thing, but impending is awkward
seats in Parl./ parl. seats = same meaning, better to use fewer words
quantity/reserve/number = I prefer to use number, it is simpler
structure/staff = I don't know what you meant here
wont/doesn't = you are expressing a desire, use doesn't
cease/end = end is more simple
a/the = 'the week'is better because there is only one week in question
capture/seize/control = capture and seize are very strong words; will the West
literally walk in and occupy Russia?
loot/plunder/pillage/exploit = same here, all very strong words
retorting/objecting/responding = responding works best
pleaded = I'm not sure what you meant here

Altogether, pretty good.

Edited by Paskwc on 22 September 2010 at 4:55am

2 persons have voted this message useful

masha_light
Diglot
Groupie
Russian Federation
Joined 5011 days ago

54 posts - 82 votes 

Message 3 of 5
21 September 2010 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 
"structure/staff = I don't know what you meant here"

In Russian version of the text"structure" would be close to "condition". "staff" - I doubted this word veeery much just found it in a dictionary.. :)

"capture/seize/control = capture and seize are very strong words; will the West
literally walk in and occupy Russia?
loot/plunder/pillage/exploit = same here, all very strong words"

Sometimes I can't feel the shade of meaning, that's the matter... :(

"pleaded = I'm not sure what you meant here "
I've misunderstood the meaning in a dictionary I consider. "supporters referenced" is just the one I meant

Thank you very much, you've gave me such a great help!

zekecoma
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5140 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 4 of 5
25 September 2010 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
I have to agree, you English is quite good, just need to work on understanding the
synonyms, that tend to give stronger meanings than the others. Take this for example. "I
broke the vase" (basically you are in shock, that you broke the vase)" and "I destroyed
the vase!" (basically can mean two thing, 1) You're admitting it, 2) You did it out of
anger). Sorry if the is confusing. You can usually tell when a word has a strong meaning
by the complexity of the word like these words "stuck up", "conceited", "superficial"
which are all strong.

Edited by zekecoma on 25 September 2010 at 1:02pm

masha_light
Diglot
Groupie
Russian Federation
Joined 5011 days ago

54 posts - 82 votes 

Message 5 of 5
25 September 2010 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
zekecoma, thank you, I'll make a note of your advice. =)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version