3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 105 of 407
27 April 2011 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
Hey, I'm 7 votes away from 1000!!!

Nice job. :) I just awarded you your 1000th vote.

(I hope you can understand Swedish…)

Varför valde du norska? Vill du gärna resa till Norge eller har du vänner som bor då?
Eller tycker du bara om språket? De skandinaviska spåken är ganska lätta, och om du
lärde dig japanska så snart tror jag att detta språk ska inte vara svårt för dig.

Thanks for the vote!!! I thought it would change my life, but I'm not feeling it yet :(

Unnskyld, jeg kan ikke svare paa norsk eller svensk, men jeg kan forstaa det hele
spoersmaal. I chose Norwegian because I used to have a Norwegian friend (20 years ago),
and I had started studying some Norwegian back then. I also had a penpal and we only
wrote in Norwegian. I just want to get back on track. Other than that, there is no
particular reason for not choosing Swedish. If anything, a friend of mine is also
studying Swedish and I should have chosen that...
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 106 of 407
28 April 2011 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
Am now at unit 9 of Pimsleur Norwegian. This actually means I've listened for about 4 hours so far, but it's really slow. I wish they'd cover more material, faster, and let us listen again if needed. I get the feeling they want people to listen only once and retain everything because there is so much repetition.

I'm now realizing that after unit 30, I'm not likely to have learned very much.

Edited by Arekkusu on 28 April 2011 at 6:28pm

budonoseito
Pro Member
United States
budobeyondtechnRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5586 days ago

261 posts - 344 votes 
Studies: French, Japanese
Personal Language Map

Message 107 of 407
28 April 2011 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Am not at unit 9 of Pimsleur Norwegian. This actually means I've
listened for about 4 hours so far, but it's really slow. I wish they'd cover more
material, faster, and let us listen again if needed. I get the feeling they want people
to listen only once and retain everything because there is so much repetition.

Not much vocabulary. But, when I listen to Pimsleur French it is more for the flow. Especially, with the liaisons in French. Also, the first time I heard the pronunciation
for 'maintenant' my brain hurt. :)

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 108 of 407
28 April 2011 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
budonoseito wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
Am not at unit 9 of Pimsleur Norwegian. This actually means I've
listened for about 4 hours so far, but it's really slow. I wish they'd cover more
material, faster, and let us listen again if needed. I get the feeling they want people
to listen only once and retain everything because there is so much repetition.

Not much vocabulary. But, when I listen to Pimsleur French it is more for the flow. Especially, with the liaisons in French. Also, the first time I heard the pronunciation
for 'maintenant' my brain hurt. :)

HAA! But you're right, I'm doing it for the pronunciation. Otherwise, Teach Yourself or Colloquial would cover all that in no time.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 109 of 407
04 May 2011 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
Norwegian: Started lesson 6 of Teach Yourself, and Unit 14 of Pimsleur.

Spanish: Still meeting weekly with tutor, concentrating almost entirely on oral, now, as I had requested.

Japanese: Enjoying the Jpod101 podcasts, and still reading 玄米先生の弁当箱 manga.

All this is part of the 6-Week Challenge.

----

I'd been considering for a while how I could encourage others to seek and find language partners, hoping that so doing, I would stumble upon a way to make it easier for myself to find partners.

Well, after considering several options, I think I finally found the best one: Twitter. My explanation is here. Looking forward to your input.

-----

Lately, I've also been toying with the idea that what I do when I learn languages is that I view parts of language as puzzle pieces that I move around as needed, and that do -- to some extent -- have equivalent pieces in other languages. In other words, when I learn a new language, I simply look for the pieces I know I need, and I play with them to express my ideas. For instance, "I read", "in the house", "every Friday" are all pieces. Still more thinking to be done on this.

Edited by Arekkusu on 04 May 2011 at 4:58pm

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5763 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 110 of 407
04 May 2011 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
I was quite interested by your concept of language as pieces of a puzzle. When I learned French at high school, I definitely took this approach and was constantly breaking things down and comparing them to English. The result was that I could express myself reasonably easily, but with a tendency to use somewhat inelegant French. I think Japanese has just stunned me with it's SOV word order and aversion to pronouns. The result is that when I use Japanese, it is usually technically correct, but my range of expression is still incredibly narrow. I think I need to learn to take a more analytic approach towards Japanese, but I'm still not quite sure how.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 111 of 407
04 May 2011 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
I was quite interested by your concept of language as pieces of a puzzle. When I learned French at high school, I definitely took this approach and was constantly breaking things down and comparing them to English. The result was that I could express myself reasonably easily, but with a tendency to use somewhat inelegant French. I think Japanese has just stunned me with it's SOV word order and aversion to pronouns. The result is that when I use Japanese, it is usually technically correct, but my range of expression is still incredibly narrow. I think I need to learn to take a more analytic approach towards Japanese, but I'm still not quite sure how.

I think (and I'm pretty much thinking out loud here) that pieces can encompass smaller pieces as well, such that [shimasu] is a piece, but [benkyou wo shimasu] is also a piece. Just like in a real puzzle, pieces can't just be placed anywhere randomly, and after a piece with an wo connecter, for instance, a verb will be needed (most of the time). Also, you can pause between pieces, but not in the middle of one. I really need to think about this so more.

I'm also reminded that as I read a book like Teach Yourself, I'm really not concerned with the words that are presented, but will rather look for those patterns or pieces that constitute the language. After all, if you have that, you can look up any word and plug it in, but having the words alone doesn't do very much to help you build properly expressive sentences. While it's true that learning vocabulary does take a long time, I think words are easier to learn when you can already place them in a proper structure and use them right away in a real life situation. I see many people use Anki to learn hundreds or even thousands of words before they can properly build sentences and, although some people swear it works for them, it's completely opposite to my strategies.

Edited by Arekkusu on 04 May 2011 at 10:30pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 112 of 407
05 May 2011 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
I am participating in the 6-Week Challenge.

After about a week, I've come to three conclusions:

1) I don't really study that much after all and yet, (I think) I still manage to learn rather swiftly,

2) I don't think this kind of challenge is making me study any more that I normally would, since I already study as often as is healthily possible, out of pleasure,

3) I think most of my learning time is spent in ways that cannot be logged, such as self-talk or ruminating.

Despite having put in more studying time this weekend than usual (I was a bit sick and wasn't going to be running around outside anyway), I'm now 22 out of the 55 people who have put in some time. So, as passionate a language learner as I may be, turns out I don't study that much after all. Of course, there is also some truth to the fact that those who chose to participate in the challenge are already avid students.

I always try to do a little bit of study here and there, but I really don't do that much, all in all. And I don't think I could do much more either, or I'd get completely worn out. There is a delicate balance between doing as much as you can and still finding pleasure in it. I do have a job and a family, after all.

Still, I think I spend most of my learning time in ways that are impossible to log, namely self-talk, or ruminating learned information. I may not actually sit down to study all that much, but I think about languages most of the time. Not sure that this is true of most other students, but I really have no idea.

This discussion contains 407 messages over 51 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version