Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 129 of 407
22 May 2011 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
I had my first Norwegian lesson with a really generous Norwegian teacher who agreed to help me for free
over Skype. We took two texts, I read them, he corrected my pronunciation, then he asked oral questions
about the text. I love this type of exercice; it forces you to reuse any new vocab, in context to boot. It's
great for fluency AND vocab acquisition.

Surprisingly, he said I was already at an advanced level, and that I could move to Norway and work there
already. Pretty flattering, but I think intermediate is probably closer to reality. I understand written material
pretty well, but I still completely fail to understand TV shows, for instance. I can build complex sentences
with several subordinate clauses but I fail to know the most simple day to day language. Still got lots of
work ahead of myself.

In Japanese, I haven't met with my language partner in almost 2 weeks, but I watched a movie and a TV
show this week, and I've been reading an interesting article about a Japanese guy who went to the US,
only to realize no one understood him, katakana English being to blame. www.gaya.jp/english/katakana.htm
Because there's lot of unknown kanji, I put the text through JDIC. One sentence at a time, it gives the
reading and definition of every word. That's a pretty efficient way to read; I shall do that more often.
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 130 of 407
22 May 2011 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:

Surprisingly, he said I was already at an advanced level, and that I could move to Norway and work there
already.

Should I start organizing the welcome party? :-)

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 131 of 407
23 May 2011 at 7:43am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:

already.

Should I start organizing the welcome party? :-)

If you find me a job, sure! ;)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 132 of 407
23 May 2011 at 9:08am | IP Logged 
Well, we have next to no unemployment, so if Canadians do not need particular work permits or visas, that should be no problem. What is your profession? (And is your family interested in coming?)

Your Norwegian will get you a long way, and Norway is routinely voted the best country in the world to live in, but they may still not be just as interrested :-)

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 23 May 2011 at 9:08am

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 133 of 407
24 May 2011 at 6:40am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Well, we have next to no unemployment, so if Canadians do not need particular
work permits or visas, that should be no problem. What is your profession? (And is your family interested in
coming?)

Your Norwegian will get you a long way, and Norway is routinely voted the best country in the world to live
in, but they may still not be just as interrested :-)
I'm a translator. Kind of tricky to jump into a new
linguistic market all of a sudden.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 134 of 407
26 May 2011 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
It's probably impossible to pronounce other languages correctly until you'd done a fair amount of introspection to understand what you do in your own language. Indeed, if you don't know how you pronounce s, how can you perceive that Spanish or Greek s, for instance, are slightly different?

No matter how hard people try to repeat or mimick what they hear in other languages, until you've done such introspection, the results are bound to be disappointing.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 135 of 407
30 May 2011 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
Japanese

Met with my Japanese language partner Thursday, then our Japanese tutor Friday.

I had been slightly apprehensive of those meetings because I hadn't met either in over 2 weeks, and I'd spent a fair amount of time concentrating on Norwegian and Spanish. I thought I'd be going through one of those bottom-of-the-roller-coaster-ride moments, but to my surprise, that wasn't the case at all. In fact, I quickly got right back in, feeling very comfortable.

On a tougher note, a friend sent me an article that was supposed to be "easy", but I'm having a hard time deciphering the darn thing. There is so much technical vocabulary...

Norwegian

I'm in the middle of lesson 14 from Teach Yourself, which contains 16 lessons. I'll be speaking with a volunteer-tutor next weekend, so I need to prepare an article to discuss with him and, if possible, an oral presentation.

When I mentioned the presentation to him, I think he assumed I meant a full-fledged presentation as if I were in front of an audience; I simply meant that I would present a story orally to him, without written notes. I think this is a great way to improve fluency while forcing you to look up all the words you'll need ahead of time.

On a different note, a Japanese friend of mine has been mentioning lately how people have a difficult time understanding her. She called someone on the phone and they apparently couldn't understand her at all. Later, she was speaking to a friend of mine and he completely misunderstood many of the words she used. She says she doesn't know why, and I think she was very discouraged. I don't want to work with her specifically on her pronunciation because I want to avoid putting that stress between us (I tend to be a little intense when it comes to pronunciation;), but I do wish I knew exactly what to tell her so she would improve on her own. The main problem is probably that several years of reinforcing the wrong pronunciation back in Japan is hard to undo, and that pronunciation is burdened by heavy interference from Japanese.

I think I will encourage her to first try to understand how Japanese sounds work, then to try and familiarize herself with English phonology. Probably not very interesting, but can you really improve your pronunciation without having some idea of what you are pronouncing and why? I suppose I could also encourage her to experiment while she's on her own, pronouncing words or sounds in as many variations as possible, hoping to get her to reach sounds outside of those locked-in areas.

librarian
United Kingdom
Joined 4851 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 136 of 407
31 May 2011 at 12:44pm | IP Logged 
I would accept the praise from the Norwegian teacher.   Reading through your posts you are obviously a very talented learner.

As for the Japanese article I am sure you will understand it perfectly sooner than you think. Could you send it to me so I can know what your level is please? I have enjoyed reading your log so far so keep up the good work :)

This discussion contains 407 messages over 51 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version