bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5163 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 9 of 407
22 September 2010 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
maydayayday wrote:
Almost Haiku: the only poetry I actually like.

Arekkusu wrote:
As a young branch heavy with buds, I shall bow under pressure and create my own Japanese learning log.

HA! Didn't think of it that way!
1 person has voted this message useful

budonoseito
Pro Member
United States
budobeyondtechnRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5587 days ago

261 posts - 344 votes 
Studies: French, Japanese
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 407
22 September 2010 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
First update!

Read a text given to me as homework (lots of unknown words! so frustrating!) and watched
a drama called "Nihonjin no shiranai nihongo".

I love this show. I even have my Japanese friends hooked on it.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5163 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 11 of 407
24 September 2010 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
Been reading ダーリンは外国人. I'm realizing I understand most of these mangas, other than unknown kanji popping up profusely. Which is lot more encouraging than more complex novels or news articles.

I also watched a movie in Japanese yesterday thanks to the new Netflix service being available in Canada (on the iPad boot!). It was the story of 2 lesbians in Tokyo. Despite the flagrant lack of gratuitous sex scenes, it was quite enjoyable.

Next week should be rife with opportunities to practice Japanese -- a friend has decided to give up everything and just up and leave Japan to come settle in our city. She will be spending the first week at our house, and then settling into her own apartment. This will be the 3rd time she visits us and I hope I can help her with her English almost as much as I hope she can help me with my Japanese. She's tough though -- no simple Japanese from her. Some people have a knack for simplifying they way the speak so you understand everything. Either she doesn't, or else she's just being tough on purpose, but that should be a good kick in the oshiri for me either way.

Élan
United States
Joined 5226 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Persian

Message 12 of 407
25 September 2010 at 3:13am | IP Logged 
Oh gosh--I accidentally posted the start of my log as a reply here. I hope it deleted correctly!

Anyway... just wanted to say happy learning and your progress in 2 years is really inspiring. May I ask at what level you found your first language partner? I am always wondering when is too soon to get a language partner.

Edited by Élan on 25 September 2010 at 3:14am

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5163 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 13 of 407
25 September 2010 at 5:20am | IP Logged 
Élan wrote:
Oh gosh--I accidentally posted the start of my log as a reply here. I hope it deleted
correctly!

Anyway... just wanted to say happy learning and your progress in 2 years is really inspiring. May I ask at
what level you found your first language partner? I am always wondering when is too soon to get a
language partner.

Actually, I don't know exactly. But I met my current partner 9-10 months into my studies and it was because
my previous partner was going back to Japan... I'm not one to delay speaking. I try to speak from day one if
possible.

Élan
United States
Joined 5226 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 
Studies: Persian

Message 14 of 407
25 September 2010 at 5:38am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Élan wrote:
Oh gosh--I accidentally posted the start of my log as a reply here. I hope it deleted
correctly!

Anyway... just wanted to say happy learning and your progress in 2 years is really inspiring. May I ask at
what level you found your first language partner? I am always wondering when is too soon to get a
language partner.

Actually, I don't know exactly. But I met my current partner 9-10 months into my studies and it was because
my previous partner was going back to Japan... I'm not one to delay speaking. I try to speak from day one if
possible.

Thank you. I think I am too much of a perfectionist--don't want to speak until I do it correctly. I will try to get out of my shell a little bit. :)

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5163 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 15 of 407
25 September 2010 at 5:46am | IP Logged 
I'm a perfectionist in any sense of the word, but I enjoy trying to say something, getting corrected and
repeating the right way. You can do it too!

Lexii
United States
Joined 5004 days ago

162 posts - 194 votes 
Studies: Japanese

Message 16 of 407
25 September 2010 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
You're so fortunate to have speaking partners/tutors. Although I've been speaking out loud, I've had no feedback as to how I sound. I *just* set up a microphone on my computer yesterday so now I can at least hear myself, even though I'll get no correction.

It's great to have Netflix, isn't it? They have a decent selection of movies, even on the Watch Now queue. Have you watched Departures yet?

This discussion contains 407 messages over 51 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version