starrye
United States
Joined 4874 days ago

172 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 177 of 407
25 August 2011 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
I just looked in my dictionary, and that's what is used in the example sentence it gives: 私の意見では彼が悪い。

I agree g-bod. I think what helps me to remember is to just try and think of the basic/general connotations behind each particle as a guide, because in many cases there is no translation or the common translations in English are too confusing or too similar, so the nuance is lost.

Edited by starrye on 25 August 2011 at 8:24pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Magdalene
Diglot
United States
Joined 4816 days ago

119 posts - 220 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, German, Modern Hebrew, French

Message 178 of 407
25 August 2011 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
Another person chiming in to say that the self-talk exercise you've outlined is
extremely helpful. I don't have a conversation partner or a tutor (yet), so I've only
done the first four steps of the exercise. Over the past three days I've done the
exercise once a day in German for about five minutes at a time, and even that paltry
amount has helped me activate some passive vocabulary and find my weak points,
vocabulary-wise. It's also helping me prevent some awful gaffes; I forgot how to say
"jetzt" today, which would have been a magnificently embarrassing brain fart had I done
it in an actual conversation.

I've enjoyed the exercise most when I've done it immediately after listening to
"Schlaflos in München" podcasts. I respond to what the podcaster has said, trying to
copy her intonation and rhythm, and formulate my own opinion, which also activates some
of the words she has just used. I imagine my resultant self-talk would be something
else entirely if I did this after listening to a news report, and as "news German"
isn't what I'm going for, I find an informal, conversational podcast like SiM to be the
perfect jumping-off point.

Thank you for posting your instructions for the exercise! I'll definitely use this
technique in all my studies from now on.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5161 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 179 of 407
25 August 2011 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
Magdalene wrote:
Another person chiming in to say that the self-talk exercise you've outlined is
extremely helpful. I don't have a conversation partner or a tutor (yet), so I've only
done the first four steps of the exercise. Over the past three days I've done the
exercise once a day in German for about five minutes at a time, and even that paltry
amount has helped me activate some passive vocabulary and find my weak points,
vocabulary-wise. It's also helping me prevent some awful gaffes; I forgot how to say
"jetzt" today, which would have been a magnificently embarrassing brain fart had I done
it in an actual conversation.

I've enjoyed the exercise most when I've done it immediately after listening to
"Schlaflos in München" podcasts. I respond to what the podcaster has said, trying to
copy her intonation and rhythm, and formulate my own opinion, which also activates some
of the words she has just used. I imagine my resultant self-talk would be something
else entirely if I did this after listening to a news report, and as "news German"
isn't what I'm going for, I find an informal, conversational podcast like SiM to be the
perfect jumping-off point.

Thank you for posting your instructions for the exercise! I'll definitely use this
technique in all my studies from now on.

I'm glad to hear that! Thanks for writing!

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5161 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 180 of 407
26 August 2011 at 5:28am | IP Logged 
I’ve expressed the idea that speaking helps improve listening on this forum; perhaps
it’s time I addressed the issue in more detail. This is an open reflection you are all
welcome to join.

Claim

My claim is that speaking increases a person’s ability to understand spoken language
and, conversely, that listening alone doesn’t significantly increase one’s speaking
skills.

Definition of “speaking”

First, let me define “speaking”. Speaking comprises two main activities: self-talk and
live conversation. Self-talk is the time a person spends practicing oral production
without the intervention of another person. Live conversation is when a person engages
in a conversation with a native speaker.

Speaking shouldn’t be understood as the absence of input; on the contrary, speaking is
fueled by input, especially from live interactions with native speakers.

Listening is not an effective way to improve oral skills

Since speaking requires a very precise and active use of knowledge, and listening only
requires passive knowledge, a learner’s listening abilities will always surpass his
speaking skills. Consequently, improving one’s speaking skills implies a narrower gap
between the two skills. Other than in the improbable event that a learner would have
reached such a high level that very little improvement in listening skills were
possible, listening practice cannot improve speaking more than listening. If listening
were an effective way to improve oral production, exposure would be enough to produce
fluent speakers and anyone with high listening skills should also have high speaking
skills. That is clearly not the case.

Does speaking impact listening skills?

If listening has little effect on speaking ability, we are left with only two possible
scenarios: either 1) speaking helps listening, or 2) the two skills are unrelated.

Let’s look at the implications of both scenarios.

If the two skills are unrelated, then speaking would not help improve listening skills,
and we'd expect to find people who have high speaking abilities, yet weak listening
skills. This would mean that a person could practice speaking on their own for an
extended period of time and not notice an increase in their listening skills, or even
that their speaking abilities could surpass their listening skills. However, we
determined that this is not logically possible.

If, on the other hand, speaking helps improve listening skills, then we should find
that:
-people who study a language while concentrating on speaking, or who are comfortable
speakers, shouldn't have listening difficulties;
-putting more emphasis on speaking should yield an improvement in listening skills;
-people shouldn't generally have problems understanding things they can say (and
practicing saying what they have difficulty understanding should lead to better
comprehension).

In fact, we do find that competent speakers also have good listening skills. While I
haven’t done extensive research proving that focusing on speaking yields better
listening, my experience teaching pronunciation tells me it does. I’d be interested in
hearing others’ experiences.

Speaking as a vector of increased awareness

Oral production is essentially a series of decision-making processes that help the
learner raise his level of awareness to the language. This helps him better notice
corroborating and contradicting input. Moreover, producing the language helps the
learner better predict what the other speaker is about to say, thus improving the
comprehension process. A large part of understanding comes from the ability to
anticipate and empathize.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6250 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 181 of 407
26 August 2011 at 11:51am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Since speaking requires a very precise and active use of knowledge,
and listening only requires passive knowledge, a learner’s listening abilities will
always surpass his speaking skills.

We discussed this and what I've seen contradicts this statement.

In Chinese, I can talk fluently without stopping for five minutes at a time, but if
someone is talking to me, even on the same topic, I have to interrupt and ask for them
to repeat themselves or translate something within the first minute. I know this from
numerous chats with my language partners where e. g. I talk about what I did yesterday
and then they do, or I give my opinion on a current issue and then they do...

In my Arabic class yesterday (my first class even though I already covered 7 chapters
of Teach Yourself), I made nearly the same experience: I was comfortable making
sentences about myself, but I had a lot of trouble as soon as the teacher said
something.

It's not just me; I was at an intensive summer language course in Beijing in 2004 and
some of the beginners and almost everyone of the intermediate class had the same
problem, plus I've also anecdotally heard from polyglots who are tackling other non-
European languages.

I believe passive skills are undervalued because they are so easy to acquire in
European languages - it took me just 20 hours to become comfortable reading Spanish
novels. That is why students of European languages never seem to be worse at
understanding than at speaking. However, I have reason to believe that it is an
entirely different ballgame for students of non-European languages.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 26 August 2011 at 12:54pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5336 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 182 of 407
26 August 2011 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
My claim is that speaking increases a person’s ability to understand spoken language...

I think I've come full circle on this conclusion too. Initially I focused on speaking German in school and found listening came easily as a happy by-product. Then I became obsessed with language learning methods later in life, and fell for the allure of silent periods in fear of non-native production and pronunciation. My listening skills seemed to advance much more slowly than before, and at the time I put it down to age and being out of practice. Now I've finally returned to my initial instincts of focusing on speaking from the very beginning, as long as there's some way to check and adjust my hypotheses, and feel much happier with my overall progress. Every time I learn to say a new word correctly in conversation, it leads to me being able to hear it more clearly in future. However, I might be unusual here in that my speaking and writing skills have always tended to be streets ahead of my listening and reading (perhaps because those are the aspects I enjoy the most).

Arekkusu wrote:
...and, conversely, that listening alone doesn’t significantly increase one’s speaking skills.

Although I can see where you're coming from here, I wouldn't say that listening doesn't help a lot once you've reached a certain level. For example, I've found that listening to lots of music and a handful of audio books during commutes has greatly facilitated my pronunciation and grammar in more than one language. Often when I try to say something in conversation, I can clearly recall how that phrase was said by a narrator, and these memories help guide me like the whisper of an invisible advisor in my ear.

Edited by Teango on 26 August 2011 at 1:02pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

starrye
United States
Joined 4874 days ago

172 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 183 of 407
26 August 2011 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
Well, looking back on my own Japanese study so far, which has been very input heavy, I can attest to the fact that extensive listening and input has NOT automatically resulted in fluent speaking-- I still have to work on that skill and practice, same as anyone else would.

As my experience with Japanese grows, I'm finding that each skill is vitally important and reinforces the other.During my year of non active study, I did a lot of passive listening, and some reading here and there. What has resulted is that I often hear the voices of specific native speakers whom I've listened to a lot, in my head. I have a strong aural memory of the way that things should be said, and strong intuitive feeling. But, that alone isn't the same thing as physically producing language. I still have to practice that.

I have indeed noticed there is a relationship between reading and listening, and am noticing that there is also a relationship between speaking and writing. My listening is beyond my speaking right now, so I have no way to tell if speaking improves listening. But I'm willing to believe it does, because it makes sense. I don't know if I would have gotten where I am with my listening quicker had I spoken more right from the start, but that seems logical. Probably would have been quicker overall if I were focusing on both input and output equally. I don't think I buy this idea that one is more important than the other, or that there is a shortcut into other skills just by extreme focus on another.

I don't know if it's possible to focus on just speaking alone, because even speaking with natives still involves listening. Unless you are only self-talking, you can't logically have a conversation if you don't listen to your conversation partners when they reply. I can imagine that someone who only focuses on speaking might have weakness with people who speak more quickly than they are used to, or with people who use vocabulary they are not familiar with (unless perhaps you live in the country and have the opportunity to interact with a wide variety of different types of people). People often say that Japanese men are hard to understand because they slur and mumble a lot, or young girls are difficult because they often speak so quickly. Plus in language with different registers depending on who the speakers/listeners are, gender differences, and politeness levels, you need to be able to understand things you aren't likely to say very often yourself. I often hear that foreign men end up sounding too feminine in Japanese, because they so often have exclusively female language partners. Well media gives you easy access to a wide variety of different types of voices, accents, and speaking styles...and access to a wide variety of different people talking about different topics. So that is one example of how lots of listening can help improve your speaking too.

But even if it happened that someone had focused on speaking, and now has trouble listening...I don't see why that skill can't be trained up after. I mean, it's not as if they are forever doomed (at least I don't believe so)! They simply would need to do more listening practice.

Edited by starrye on 26 August 2011 at 3:42pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5161 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 184 of 407
26 August 2011 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
Since speaking requires a very precise and active use of knowledge, and listening only requires passive knowledge, a learner’s listening abilities will always surpass his speaking skills.

We discussed this and what I've seen contradicts this statement.

And I appreciate your input.

Sprachprofi wrote:
In Chinese, I can talk fluently without stopping for five minutes at a time, but if someone is talking to me, even on the same topic, I have to interrupt and ask for them to repeat themselves or translate something within the first minute.

I agree that with similar speaking skills in a cognate language vs. a non-European language, you will understand less of the latter, but that doesn't alter the fact that you still understand more if you speak better.

The claim is not that if you can speak well, you will understand everything. It's that you'll understand more. I realize it's a difficult statement to refute because a person couldn't be in both states at once, but I'm sure you'll agree with the logic.

Do you think you would understand as much Mandarin as you do now if you didn't speak as well as you do, or do you think it would be the same?

This discussion contains 407 messages over 51 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version