Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
407 messages over 51 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 ... 4 ... 50 51 Next >>
ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5924 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 25 of 407
28 September 2010 at 5:37am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Ah, interesting suggestion but I'd like the polite forms of nouns and adjectives as well.

Wait, adjectives have polite forms now too!? Oh dear... I already knew about verbs and I know of a couple nouns with different formalities, but I was unaware of the adjectives...
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5163 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 26 of 407
28 September 2010 at 5:47am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
Ah, interesting suggestion but I'd like the polite forms of nouns
and adjectives as well.

Wait, adjectives have polite forms now too!? Oh dear... I already knew about verbs and I know of a couple
nouns with different formalities, but I was unaware of the adjectives...

Well, I don't mean to mislead anyone because I really don't know what I'm talking about, but isn't yoroshii a
formal version of yoi?

kidshomestunner
United Kingdom
Joined 6187 days ago

239 posts - 285 votes 
Speaks: Japanese

Message 27 of 407
28 September 2010 at 12:04pm | IP Logged 
probably the best grammar books are "a dictionary of basic Japanese grammar" and "a dictionary of intermediate Japanese Grammar" which are available to download on line. If you google BASIC grammar japanese makino download you should be able to download it by paying or for no charge as you wish.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5163 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 28 of 407
28 September 2010 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
kidshomestunner wrote:
probably the best grammar books are "a dictionary of basic Japanese grammar" and "a dictionary of intermediate Japanese Grammar" which are available to download on line. If you google BASIC grammar japanese makino download you should be able to download it by paying or for no charge as you wish.

Thanks for the advice. I was just starting to read those books actually, so now I definitely must read them through :)

kidshomestunner
United Kingdom
Joined 6187 days ago

239 posts - 285 votes 
Speaks: Japanese

Message 29 of 407
28 September 2010 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
With regards to Keigo if you want a DEFINITIVE book you must use a Japanese book: I.E: http://www.sanseido-publ.co.jp/publ/dicts/keigo_no_ojiten.ht ml

I would seriously reccomend studying the sections "improving reading skill by identifying an extended sentinential unit" on page 612 of the basic dictionary and "Towards better Reading Comprehension; Analysing Sentences Accurately" page 55 onwards of Makino and Tsutsui's intermediate dictionary as these seriously helped my comprehension perhaps more than any other explanation I have read.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5163 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 30 of 407
29 September 2010 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
kidshomestunner wrote:
With regards to Keigo if you want a DEFINITIVE book you must use a Japanese book: I.E: http://www.sanseido-publ.co.jp/publ/dicts/keigo_no_ojiten.ht ml

I would seriously reccomend studying the sections "improving reading skill by identifying an extended sentinential unit" on page 612 of the basic dictionary and "Towards better Reading Comprehension; Analysing Sentences Accurately" page 55 onwards of Makino and Tsutsui's intermediate dictionary as these seriously helped my comprehension perhaps more than any other explanation I have read.

I shall do as you suggest. The keigo book looks really interesting.

I read the first 100 pages of the Basic Dict. yesterday.

Edited by Arekkusu on 29 September 2010 at 4:00pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5163 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 31 of 407
29 September 2010 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
My objective for the next few days:

-Finish reading Basic Grammar (review and reinforcement) and moving on to Intermediate

-Finish reading Darling (manga) -- 2/3 done

-Get back into Anki (export list of words from the second half of Sept. from Tangorin)

-Continue watching Nihonjin no shiranai nihongo (started episode 3). No subtitles.

Conversations are becoming easier with my Japanese friend. Perhaps she has adjusted her style accordingly. I realize now that I speak Japanese more fluently than she does English, and I probably also have a stronger grasp of the grammar. It was not the case the last time she visited, so I must have progressed pretty fast. However, her vocabulary is still much, much better than mine. As she has already found a job (after 4 days in Canada!), I expect that she should soon surpass me in every aspect of the language, but that shall be my motivation!

Joshua B
United Kingdom
Joined 4947 days ago

11 posts - 10 votes

Message 32 of 407
04 October 2010 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
Hi this is Kidshomestunner, I can't seem to post under that username so I am using this account: I just wondered if you would be doing any Sample translations in your log as I found that the feedback I got from you and others in my log was extremely useful...

This discussion contains 407 messages over 51 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version