Hiiro Yui
Diglot
United States
Joined 4477 days ago

111 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese

Message 337 of 407
10 May 2012 at 6:48am | IP Logged 
I looked back at the video where I spoke English and I can understand how it sounds like there's an s sound after some of my t's. That resemblance is unintentional; I think of it as an h sound that tells the listener that that was a t, not a d. The difference between my pronunciation of "to" and "tsoo" is clear to my ears (the s sound is stronger and longer). I should inform you that one of my front teeth isn't exactly in line with the others and a small whistle sound is often created. The sound quality of my camera's microphone may also be to blame. If I curl the tip of my tongue up in order to make a t sound, that s-like sound is diminished, but I swear it would be unnatural to make all of one's t sounds like that. It's like adding an extra motion to create (what I perceive to be) the same sound. Okay, I suppose it's possible I've been mis-hearing everyone around me (because I am indeed tone-deaf).

At about 6:00 in that video, when I said "it wasn't illegal" and "for them to fail to do the self-check" you can hear unintentional s sounds after the t's. Then I said "So, Asahi shimbun admits...". This is what I think an intentional ts sounds like.

I think Obama does the same thing. Listen to how he says "time" in this video at 0:20.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nIFExKIhLA&feature=relmfu
I think that no matter where in your mouth you pronounce a t sound, when you release it there will be a momentary friction sound. The more slowly you release it, the more obvious it becomes.

In this video, I tried to pronounce sh and t sounds better. When I try to make Japanese t's, that friction sometimes sounds like a light th sound to me (or am I doing it wrong?).
http://youtu.be/oRoKTSTMtKo
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5141 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 338 of 407
11 May 2012 at 3:41am | IP Logged 
I uploaded the TV programme to my Youtube channel:

Word Play

(I would have liked to upload an HD version but the file I was provided is only in
720x480 format.)

Edited by Arekkusu on 11 May 2012 at 3:42am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5141 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 339 of 407
11 May 2012 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
Interesting discussion about the show -- and about the idea that talent for languages may or may not exist -- here.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4425 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 340 of 407
11 May 2012 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
I definitely think that a talent for languages exists. It seems to me that the denial of talent's existence has become increasingly popular (not just with respect to language).

I have also noticed that people will readily acknowledge that there is variation on the "low" end of the talent spectrum -- speaking or language processing disorders of varying severity, all the way down to some people never learning to speak at all -- but are much less likely to acknowledge comparable variation on the high end. As if everyone "tops out" at "no pathology" or slightly above.

Edited by tastyonions on 11 May 2012 at 6:23pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5141 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 341 of 407
20 May 2012 at 7:20am | IP Logged 
A quick update -- I haven't posted in a week... Really busy with work, so little time
for languages.

-I continue to watch a video in Spanish and one in German on Yabla every morning.
-I sometimes review Japanese sentences on Anki.
-I've been reading an old Japanese vocabulary book I bought in Japan
(にほんごことばじてん) which holds about 1000 basic
words, but which also happens to contain pitch markings - highly recommended if you're
a beginner or want to review while learning pitch.
-I continue to meet with a language partner once a week; my main partner now has a job
working long hours and I haven't been able to see her for the last 2 weeks :( Very
disappointing, but such is life.

And, for a change, I'm starting private Mandarin lessons this week! I studied some
Mandarin before, but that was 20 years ago. Normally, I'd study on my own, but since I
don't really have time to study, this tutor will come and teach me at home while my
wife is having her Japanese class (and I never do anything during that time anyway).

My first video about Japanese pitch accent should be available soon -- the script is
ready, just haven't gotten around to recording it. I had native speakers check it for
accuracy and they confirmed my pronunciation of the words and sentences I present. I
wish I had all the proper equipment to do it well though. My Youtube channel is
kanadanoarekkusu.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4628 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 342 of 407
20 May 2012 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
Great TV segment. Thanks for sharing! I hope that Geschwind-Galaburda hypothesis is true (minus the part about having to be male), because that would bode well for my language learning. :D I loved seeing the enthusiasm of all the polyglots when they/you were talking about studying languages.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5141 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 343 of 407
21 May 2012 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
My very first video is now available on Youtube. It's the first in a series of videos I plan to make on Japanese
Pitch Accent.

What is Japanese Pitch Accent?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5326 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 344 of 407
21 May 2012 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
Gracias por compartir ese video Arekkusu, muy interesante y no puedo creer cuántas lenguas que habla ese chico
de Nueva York, qué impresionante y sólo de dieciséis años. Le hace uno pensar que sí hay algo más de sólo trabajo
duro.

Que todo te vaya bien.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 407 messages over 51 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version