Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4624 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 345 of 407
21 May 2012 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
Great video, Arekkusu! And very informative, even if I don't study Japanese. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4445 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 346 of 407
21 May 2012 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
I thought the video was well done and interesting, though I am not learning Japanese either. :-P

Also, off-topic, your English is really, really good. When did you start learning it?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5161 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 347 of 407
21 May 2012 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
tastyonions wrote:
I thought the video was well done and interesting, though I am not
learning Japanese either. :-P

Also, off-topic, your English is really, really good. When did you start learning it?

I had ESL classes in high school, like every other Québécois kid, but I started taking it
seriously when I was around grade 9, I'd say. I watched a lot of TV and wrote a lot of
letters. This was before the Internet and penpals were the only native speakers I had
access to. However, I later attended university in English.
1 person has voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4445 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 348 of 407
21 May 2012 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
I see. I think that of people who started learning English in their teens or later, you may be the most native-sounding speaker I have ever heard. Extremely impressive!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5161 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 349 of 407
22 May 2012 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
tastyonions wrote:
I see. I think that of people who started learning English in their teens or later, you may be the most native-sounding speaker I have ever heard. Extremely impressive!

Thank you, that's a very nice compliment.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5161 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 350 of 407
24 May 2012 at 5:42am | IP Logged 
I met a Mandarin tutor for the first time tonight. Chinese is fun; I hope I can refresh what I had learned before.

Lots of discussion surrounding my Youtube video. Glad it was well received and happy it's made some
people reconsider their study of pitch accent.

Hiiro Yui
Diglot
United States
Joined 4497 days ago

111 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese

Message 351 of 407
26 May 2012 at 5:59am | IP Logged 
According to rule 77 in 新明解日本語アクセント辞典, hiTONIHA should be hiTONIha.
The reason is that whenever a particle is added to a high particle, the first becomes accented.

Of course, these rules are based on an idealization of spoken Japanese that no native follows exactly. I always try to remember that a native speaker is by definition never "wrong" about how he realizes his particular variety of spoken Japanese. In other words, I have never heard a Japanese person accidentally sound like a gaijin trying to speak Japanese. Japanese is their language. When they make mistakes, they make them in Japanese ways. If they say a word with the wrong accent, they may correct themselves, or they may like the way it sounds and continue saying it that way in the future. Others around him may think he sounds strange, or they may also start liking it and mimic him. Native speakers have the awesome freedom to change their language intentionally.

These rule books are trying to capture overall trends and recommend the ideal way to pronounce words. Japanese newscasters don't actually memorize these books--they just try their best. It's easy to find Japanese people complaining that a newscaster didn't say a word exactly as it is written in the book. All native speakers break some of these rules. I'm aiming for the idealization. If that means my pitch accent is so perfect and regular that I don't sound exactly like a native, so be it.

I'm saying this because I think this is the right attitude to have (for all languages). It bothers me when I see statements like
Luai_lashire wrote:
Every time we were instructed in
pitch in my Japanese class, it was useless to me (the teachers were actually wrong sometimes!)
You should decide if you are going to a) speak and write idealistically, b) pattern yourself after actual speakers and writers, or c) a little of both. After deciding, you shouldn't criticize natives for not saying things the way you want, nor should you criticize fellow language learners for choosing path "a" instead of "b".

In case it's not clear, Arekkusu, I'm just lecturing the language learning community in general. I'm not completely upset about something you did recently.

By the way, in that video, were you reading from your script or did you have it mostly memorized?

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5161 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 352 of 407
26 May 2012 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
Hiiro Yui wrote:

By the way, in that video, were you reading from your script or did you have it mostly memorized?

I was reading from a script, but I would occasionally depart from it.

This discussion contains 407 messages over 51 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version