bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 377 of 407
15 October 2012 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
I'm having a few problems finding the right people to record the dialogues with me (the recordings will eventually be downloadable), but otherwise, the course should be online and for sale within the next two weeks.

Just to be clear, all the recordings are available for download. The link is provided in the book.
2 persons have voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5741 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 378 of 407
15 October 2012 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
there is a stigma attached to trying to pronounce things properly (or differently from other students), as if you were putting on airs, trying to sound better than the others, so there is a reluctance to even try to pronounce things correctly.

Sounds like a similar situation to my own high school language classes here in the UK. Fitting in with your peers was a far more powerful motivator than the desire to advance ones language skills (which in any case, amongst most of my peers, was lacking). I wonder if this is a common feature in places where there is a dominant monolingual culture.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4466 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 379 of 407
15 October 2012 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
That is the same in the Netherlands, but to fit in with your peers you need to know
English regardless - not knowing at least some English is considered slightly uneducated
and non-classy (and preferably you should be speaking it well, this has a positive
connotation). Flunking English is very rare, it's the one subject people never complain
about in terms of "why do we have to learn this".

Edited by tarvos on 15 October 2012 at 7:16pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 380 of 407
26 October 2012 at 2:50am | IP Logged 
Little update.

First of all, about the book:

Benny published a guest post of mine
here
on Québec French, including examples and audio. It's been really
well received (about 36 hours after it was put online, some of the audio files received
over 1100 clicks!), virtually all comments being really positive, so I'm very happy.

The article was then put on Reddit and it did really well there too, although in the
French subreddit, there was a bit of drama when one of the moderators didn't like
Québec French stuff in his French subforum... after many people suffered his abuse, he
eventually had his modship removed.

The article was also retweeted several times, always positively as far as I can see.

Also, the book is now available in Montréal at Librairie Michel Fortin, 3714 St-Denis.
At this point, it's the only physical point of sale in Québec, but they are the perfect
place to have the book.

Language study:

I am putting Mandarin on the back burner for a few months as I intend to concentrate on
German and Esperanto until the end of the year. I plan to go to Germany to attend the
JES in December. Cxu estas aliaj esperantistoj kiu iros al JES?

Edited by Arekkusu on 26 October 2012 at 2:53am

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 381 of 407
27 October 2012 at 7:44am | IP Logged 
I think that a learner who wishes to improve on their pronunciation or grammar can
eventually find all the information they need in the oral interactions they have with
native speakers. Of course, the efficiency of this process will depend on the frequency
of these interactions, but there is still a lot to be gained from such exchanges.

I have no idea if such a preamble makes any sense to anyone else but me, so I spent a
little bit of time trying to think about what actually happens in real time. I think
the most important part is what happens when you speak and how aware you are of the
choices you are making. I'm presenting a simulated example here, using Esperanto. In
parentheses, I'll express what kind of thoughts cross my mind.

Me: Paul, cxu vi volas paroli kun mi esperanton?

(When I said paroli, kun mi somehow came out right away. However, I still needed to say
"in Esperanto", so I just added esperanton at the end. I'm not a hundred percent sure
that esperanton, in the accusative, is a proper way to say "in Esperanto" in this
context, but I'm fairly confident that the order should have been "paroli esperanton
kun mi", even though I know there is some flexibility allowed here and it's probably
not wrong per se. I'm not going to worry about the order right now, but I still want to
know about esperanton. The other options that I considered are en esperanto, which I'm
pretty sure is okay, but I wanted to test esperanton. I also considered esperante,
which I'm less certain about.)

Paul: Jes, ni povas aukaux paroli en la Germana.

(Ah, so option 2, en esperanto, was indeed correct [en la Germana confirms it] as I
suspected, but no confirmation on the first option, esperanton. I didn't get a
correction on the odd order either so they probably wouldn't have corrected esperanton
had it been wrong. Let's explore further.)

Me: En kia lingvo vi preferas paroli?

(I just had confirmation that en + language is good, so I'm using this here, but this
kind of question is a bit different so it will be interesting to see what kind of reply
I get.)

Paul: Ni povas paroli esperanton unue kaj la Germanan poste.

(AH! I've finally gotten my confirmation that esperanton was correct. So I now know
that esperanton, and en esperanto are both correct. Still no idea about esperante
though, but at this point I already have two options available. I'll be listening to
see if esperante ever pops up again.)

Edited by Arekkusu on 27 October 2012 at 11:25pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6198 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 382 of 407
27 October 2012 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
I would have definitely used 'esperante' in your first sentence.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 383 of 407
27 October 2012 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
I would have definitely used 'esperante' in your first sentence.

Now I have to update the model to say 'and then post in your log to get a definitive answer' ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 384 of 407
28 October 2012 at 2:51am | IP Logged 
I had what I would effectively call my first Esperanto conversation today. I think I did
okay, but there is still work to do on fluency. Considering HTLAL's definition of basic
fluency, I added Esperanto as a language I speak. This might be pushing it a bit, but I'm
going to continue practicing until the JES meeting in December, so this will give me a
bit of motivation.

Tomorrow -- Spanish and Japanese conversation groups.

Lately -- been reading Fajron sentas mi interne in a side-by-side Esperanto and German
version.

This discussion contains 407 messages over 51 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version