Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5741 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 57 of 407
25 December 2010 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
Ah, it sounds like you're doing reasonably well already then! I'm quite relaxed about not
knowing how to pronounce new words - if I don't know the meaning I'll have to look it up
whether I can sound it out or not - but it took some time to get used to this, as my
previous language learning experience was solely with alphabet-based languages.

Edited by g-bod on 25 December 2010 at 7:16pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 58 of 407
29 December 2010 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
You'll notice the title of the log's been changed to reflect my taking part in the 2011
TAC.

Don't say you haven't been warned: plenty of mid and high-intensity annihilating will
be undertaken, most times with communicable passion. Again, you've been warned.

Let me first state my goals for 2011.

My 2 main problems are lack of vocabulary, compounded by a growing insecurity facing
kanji. (This may sound like one problem, but I assure you it's 2 distinct problems.)
As a result, I aim to cover all 2000-some common use kanji (Jouyou Kanji), and increase
my vocabulary by doing more reading.

As a first step, I went back to Anki. I don't particularly like or enjoy SRS, but if I
can find a good deck, I'll give it a go. So far, I've tried 4 or 5, and I'm still
trying out 2 of them, namely RTK-Ultima and RTK-1 and 3 with Kanji Definition and Yomi,
slightly leaning towards the latter. I hate decks that present kanji in isolation, as
if that happened in real life: kanji occur as part of compounds or as the head of a
verb or adjective, and that's how I want to learn them.

Finally, a well-deserved slap behind the head: I've been getting lots of exposure
lately by watching dramas, forgetting that I also need to be a little more proactive in
acquiring AND USING new vocabulary. This will change starting tomorrow. I'm not sure
how yet, but I'm meeting my ever-trustworthy language partner and I'll prepare
something. Something proactive. Or rather.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 59 of 407
29 December 2010 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
I did another Skype exchange yesterday for 3,5 hours. Poor guy -- I had to get up at 6
am, but he was up until 3 am! Good thing he had the next day off.

This is going much better than I had anticipated actually -- if you can, I warmly
recommend using Skype if you can't find (enough) partners locally.

I slightly regret finding a partner in Kansai, though. I care about pitch accent and I
often catch him using the opposite pitch from standard Japanese (such as iMA instead of
Ima) and I'm bound to get confused and learn them wrong. But still, he's very helpful and
congratulates me at times on how "natural" my Japanese sounds. All in all, pretty
encouraging.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5741 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 60 of 407
29 December 2010 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:

As a first step, I went back to Anki. I don't particularly like or enjoy SRS, but if I
can find a good deck, I'll give it a go. So far, I've tried 4 or 5, and I'm still
trying out 2 of them, namely RTK-Ultima and RTK-1 and 3 with Kanji Definition and Yomi,
slightly leaning towards the latter.

I think the best decks are the ones you make yourself. You can tweak according to the
type of information that you feel is pertinent to test yourself on, and add (or not
add) words that are relevant to you - I think at your stage it's probably pretty
pointless having cards in your deck for words like 三 or 今? Also if you try to look
at the process of adding the cards as part of the learning, rather than a data entry
chore, I think it helps things to stick better (or maybe I just keep telling myself
that!) I totally agree on learning kanji in the context of real words though, I
couldn't do it any other way.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 61 of 407
29 December 2010 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:

I think the best decks are the ones you make yourself. You can tweak according to the
type of information that you feel is pertinent to test yourself on, and add (or not
add) words that are relevant to you - I think at your stage it's probably pretty
pointless having cards in your deck for words like 三 or 今? Also if you try to look
at the process of adding the cards as part of the learning, rather than a data entry
chore, I think it helps things to stick better (or maybe I just keep telling myself
that!) I totally agree on learning kanji in the context of real words though, I
couldn't do it any other way.

But those kanji have various readings and I want to learn them all. Besides, for the sake of completion, I
want to go over them all.

As for creating my own deck, that would take a lot of time and I'd rather avoid that.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5741 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 62 of 407
29 December 2010 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
Sorry, I should have been more specific, I was referring to the words 三(さん) and 今(い
ま) - perhaps I should have picked some basic two kanji compounds or a couple of nice
verbs instead (how about 今日 and 行く?)!

Creating a huge deck from scratch does take a long time but you don't do it all in one go
- you only add cards as you are ready to learn and then review them. Adding a few cards
a day is not painful but it adds up over a year.

I would be more than happy to share my kanji compound deck if you think it may be of use
to you.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 63 of 407
29 December 2010 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
You know, I might take you up on that offer. What does it contain exactly?

In September, for a little while, I used to create decks using Tangorin. Maybe I should do that again...

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5741 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 64 of 407
29 December 2010 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
2454 "facts", that is kanji words, but I will probably add a few more tonight if I give
myself that little kick I need to get off the message boards and do some work! Each
"fact" is a word, or occasionally a phrase, and I have two cards for each fact as
follows:

Card 1:
Question: Japanese word written in kanji
Answer: Reading (in kana) plus meaning/definition (in English)

Card 2:
Question: Reading (in kana) plus meaning/definition (in English)
Answer: Japapnese word written in kanji

For card 2 type questions I have a pad of squared graph paper which I write the answers
down on.

I have picked up the words from various sources - initially the example words in the
kanji section of Genki, then from Basic Kanji Book 1 and half of Book 2, a few words
with kanji that just seemed to pop up all the time and wouldn't go away, and now I have
started adding from Kanji in Context. At a guess, I would say I have studied how to
write and recognise around 450 kanji. Although the deck contains 638 unique kanji I do
not expect myself to be able to write ones that I have not studied yet - when I study a
new kanji I do a quick search of the deck for any words containing that kanji and reset
the writing card as a new card. I hope that makes sense.

The deck is 11.1MB in size so I'm not sure the best way to send it to you, but perhaps
can co-ordinate this by PM.

What is Tangorin?

Edited by g-bod on 29 December 2010 at 9:43pm

This discussion contains 407 messages over 51 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version