Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 97 of 407
11 April 2011 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
My meeting with my language partner on Friday went very well and extended, once again, past 4 hours in duration. We spoke Japanese for a full 2 1/2 hours straight. No matter what I study, watch or read during the week, these meetings are pivotal in my acquisition. I'm not sure what I'd do without my partner.

The last few meetings, I've also been doing translation exercices with my partner. I bring a bilingual magazine, I read an English sentence, then I translate it orally into Japanese before we look at the actual translation. (It appears that most of the texts were translated from Japanese into fairly simple English and as a result, a lot of information is left out. Nevertheless, the translations do point to different ways of expressing things.)

As I translate the text into Japanese, it allows me to get a confirmation that the sentences I am producing are grammatically correct, particularly when they are complex. When I speak, I get some corrections, but people usually let me talk without interrupting and I have no idea whether what I'm saying is correct or not. I also benefit from my partner's more sophisticated suggestions. This is an excellent way to create Japanese sentences and structures I may not naturally come up with and I have time to say them several times if need be. Of course, pitch accent also gets corrected.

I was surprised to find that I am actually correct most of the time! This confirmation was important to me; I meet a lot of Japanese who have a tremedous vocabulary in English and who can express themselves very fluently, and yet they make grammatical mistakes in the most basic sentences. I always find this perplexing and very difficult to explain.

Update on the Kansai partner -- Communication is not lost, he was just busy ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 98 of 407
12 April 2011 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
After having neglected Spanish for many years now, I decided to get back into it. Read El principito yesterday. Will meet a conversation tutor tomorrow. Having concentrated so seriously on Japanese, this had me a little worried, but I'm finding that I have room for more than one language. It's incredible how simple other languages appear after having struggled with Japanese for so long.

Looking through my old box full of language books, I found lessons for Italian, Dutch, Czech, Portuguese, German, Norwegian... Italian or Portuguese could be interesting summer projects. I have Le portuguais en 90 leçons. That's the lesson plan I used for German way back in 1990 (lent the book to an ex and never got it back) and I quite enjoyed it. I took some Italian before university, and this might be the most suitable language for a short summer vacation project. I still remember how the old Italian teacher, about to retire from a long career, told me that she had never awarded a mark of 100% to any other student before. My next teacher was this man, Marco Micone. Seems he still teaches. A nice man.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 99 of 407
17 April 2011 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
Had a Skype conversation with a language partner in Kansai. He said he's noticed
improvement in my Japanese ;) I'll take that!

Been listening to Japanesepod101 podcasts again lately. There are so many of them it's
almost dizzying, but I listened to Intermediate no. 42 and 43 yesterday.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 100 of 407
21 April 2011 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
This is not really related to language learning, but it's my log, so I can do what want!

A few months back, I wrote a translation exam for a *really* nice job in Ottawa and I just heard today that I passed it!!! Their process is so darn slow that it's hard to know whether you succeeded or they simply rejected your candidacy months earlier, but I finally got the confirmation. This doesn't imply that I got the job, but it's an encouraging step in the right direction.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 102 of 407
26 April 2011 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
I started Pimsleur Comprehensive Norwegian and did the first 3 lessons. No idea why... I dabbled in Norwegian some 20+ years ago, so it's pretty much all review so far. Actually, it's almost painfully slow. Does anyone know of a quick way to shorten all blanks?

How far do the 30 lessons take you? A2?

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 103 of 407
26 April 2011 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
Over the long week-end, I covered over 10 Jpod101 podcasts. I had neglected those for a while, but I really enjoy them.

I finished watching Attention Please and started watching 北の国から.

We also had a potluck and 3 Japanese people came, so I got to practice.

Another thread was asking what to do when the teacher is less experienced than you are. I said you need to take control of your learning, and it made me realize that I need to do that myself with my Spanish class. I initially told the teacher I only wanted oral, but it derailed into various other things, and not into what I had asked. Time to put it back on track. [EDIT: To the teacher's credit, she has been trying to accomodate my request]

Hey, I'm 7 votes away from 1000!!!

Edited by Arekkusu on 04 May 2011 at 4:19pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5923 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 104 of 407
26 April 2011 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Hey, I'm 7 votes away from 1000!!!

Nice job. :) I just awarded you your 1000th vote.

(I hope you can understand Swedish…)

Varför valde du norska? Vill du gärna resa till Norge eller har du vänner som bor då? Eller tycker du bara om språket? De skandinaviska spåken är ganska lätta, och om du lärde dig till och med japanska så snart tror jag att detta språk inte ska vara svårt för dig.

Edited by ellasevia on 27 April 2011 at 12:00am

This discussion contains 407 messages over 51 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version