Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5161 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 121 of 407
05 May 2011 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
In light of my recent (re)incursion into Norwegian, I've decided to amend my previous post about how to learn a language. However, that post received 10 votes, so I'm not sure how ethical it would be to alter something people have already voted for. Any suggestions?
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6219 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 122 of 407
05 May 2011 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
In light of my recent (re)incursion into Norwegian, I've decided to amend my previous post about how to learn a language. However, that post received 10 votes, so I'm not sure how ethical it would be to alter something people have already voted for. Any suggestions?

Yes: put the edits at the bottom (and if they're substantial, make a one-line note at the top saying that it's been edited). Leave the previous text unchanged - or use unicode characters to strike through changes you really want to make to it, leaving the old version readable.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5114 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 123 of 407
05 May 2011 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
My problem with Norwegian pronunciation is that since I have little opportunity to hear the language in real life (yet!), it's still hard to guess the pronunciation of written words I haven't heard, such as whether /o/ is closer to [ u ] or [o], or if an /e/ should be [e] or [3]. Actually, those are probably my only concerns at this point... That's the only reason I'm going through Pimsleur, otherwise I'd only bother with Teach Yourself.

By the way -- would you happen to know a good online Norwegian dictionary?

I would think massive exposure to the language in the shape of films or other auditive materials would do the trick. If you are looking for something specific that you cannot find on the net then let me know, and I'll get it for you here.

I do not use online dictionaries myself (dinosaur here :-) but I think this one is quite good:

http://www.nob-ordbok.uio.no/perl/ordbok.cgi?OPP=&bokmaal=+& ordbok=bokmaal

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5161 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 124 of 407
05 May 2011 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I do not use online dictionaries myself (dinosaur here :-) but I think this one is quite good:

http://www.nob-ordbok.uio.no/perl/ordbok.cgi?OPP=&bokmaal=+& ordbok=bokmaal

Thanks... but I hoping for more along the lines of a bilingual dictionary 8|

Edited by Arekkusu on 05 May 2011 at 9:35pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5161 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 125 of 407
18 May 2011 at 3:05am | IP Logged 
Time for a little update.

Norwegian
Finished Pimsleur; still working on TY. Pimsleur was a nice way to get the
pronunciation, but it was kind of disappointing because it doesn't take you very far.
And there is no subsequent level either. Been looking, passively, for a local Norwegian
to talk with. A certain Eilif has also been helping me online; big thanks to him!

I forget where, but somewhere on this site, someone suggested Klar Tale -- really great
resource for easy reading!

Spanish
Been meeting a tutor for a few weeks. Great opportunity to revive my rusty Spanish. I
try to make the entire class oral only. It would be cheaper for me to find a partner,
but to be frank, I'm running out of time and having a tutor takes less time.

Earlier tonight, I stopped by a Hispanic grocery store close to my house. The Peruvian
owner asked me if I spoke Spanish, in Spanish, and when I said I was taking classes, he
looked at me funny. He asked me who with and eventually asked if I was joking. He was
convinced I was from Venezuela from my accent! I have no idea how he got that
impression! I'm very flattered, but I've never been to a Spanish speaking country and I
wouldn't purport to speak Spanish like a native *at all*. In any case, I was afraid to
say anything else after that for fear of disappointing him!

Japanese
Been putting Japanese aside a little bit in favour of Norwegian for the last few days,
but I still read or talk it almost daily. Last week, I went for a stroll and a bit of
shopping with a Japanese friend and we spoken only Japanese the whole time. That felt
good. Something about speaking another language that just gives me a sense of
satisfaction (though sometimes frustration).

On a completely different note... Can we lay that silent period crap to rest? I'll have
to write a piece on that one of these days.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5161 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 126 of 407
18 May 2011 at 3:15am | IP Logged 
I would like to amend my previous post 83 about learning languages.

Filtering Input

Whatever method I use, I always filter out unnecessary information. I quickly skim over
words that do not appear useful to me, i.e. that I won’t need to use in the short term.
As I try to remember the more important words, I repeat them out loud, as if I were
using them in real life. There is no need to know them all perfectly right now; they
will appear many times again in the lessons, anyway.

However, since virtually all structures – or templates – presented will be useful, this
is where I devote much of my attention. These templates (filled with the words I just
learned) form the essence of the language and will allow me to say just about anything.
A few templates with a few words can go a long way, even right from the start. I
believe this is why I usually feel comfortable early on: a few important structures
filled with words I need.

NOTE: I keep an open mind about the vocabulary I skipped, as I could be wrong about not
needing them; yet, if they appear in conversation and I only know them passively,
reusing them after having just heard them is easy.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6250 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 127 of 407
18 May 2011 at 12:00pm | IP Logged 
I do the same filtering. For example, I was put off when one of the first words we
learned in Italian class was "sciopero" (strike). Even to practise the sci- there must be
a more common word, no? Turns out it's supremely useful if you want to understand why
the train to Italy stops in the middle of nowhere, doesn't continue for several hours and
all Italians are blasé about it.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 18 May 2011 at 12:00pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5161 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 128 of 407
18 May 2011 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
I do the same filtering. For example, I was put off when one of the first words we
learned in Italian class was "sciopero" (strike). Even to practise the sci- there must be
a more common word, no? Turns out it's supremely useful if you want to understand why
the train to Italy stops in the middle of nowhere, doesn't continue for several hours and
all Italians are blasé about it.

In another thread, I gave "post office" as an example of a useless word that (almost) always comes up in lessons. Not surprisingly, a few other members chimed in saying that they use it everyday. I know I very rarely use it, but perhaps it was a bad example. In any case, words like "send", "receive" or "write" are a lot more important than "post office", in my opinion. But it doesn't really matter anyway because if you did skip a word that turns out to be useful later, then you learn it then (presumably in a context where the word is important, to boot). In the meantime, you skipped something you didn't think you'd need, something you weren't motivated to learn and you saved time.

This discussion contains 407 messages over 51 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version