Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
407 messages over 51 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22 ... 50 51 Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6251 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 169 of 407
19 August 2011 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
Nice! Questions could have been better, but I still found it an interesting read.

Quote:
I also enjoy -- and perhaps I'm lucky for that -- the mental exercise of putting
words together to form meaningful messages

Sounds like you would have a field day with Esperanto's affix system. Some idle
afternoon...

1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 170 of 407
19 August 2011 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Nice! Questions could have been better, but I still found it an interesting read.

Quote:
I also enjoy -- and perhaps I'm lucky for that -- the mental exercise of putting

afternoon...

...temptress...
3 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6220 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 171 of 407
20 August 2011 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Sprachprofi wrote:

Quote:

afternoon...

...temptress...

Careful, you may never escape! Sprachprofi is an excellent teacher, and the Esperanto affix system is addictive.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 172 of 407
25 August 2011 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
The last few days have been loaded with opportunities to speak Japanese.

My friend said she was disappointed with my Japanese on one of those days (wasn't as fluent as usual, it seems!), but that's ok. It's nice to see others are holding me up to high standards. I think one of the speakers was so fast that I could hardly keep up, just like an old computer that's slower at processing loads of info at once. I was like a 10-year-old computer that got hit by an HD movie. I can handle regular movies, but HD is a bit jerky ;) My Japanese is not yet BluRay compatible.

I know I need more vocab, and I'm working on it, but grammar-wise, it appears my weakness lies with particles. I sometimes use particles in a not so natural way. I think this mostly applies to ni and de, and whether or not to add ha. For instance, I was saying "boku no iken de" when it should have been "de ha". Since there's really no rule, or at least no obvious rule, I've got to start paying closer attention to what's being used.

Incidently, that fast speaker might become my next language partner ;) Negociations are underway...

Edited by Arekkusu on 25 August 2011 at 5:21pm

starrye
United States
Joined 4875 days ago

172 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 173 of 407
25 August 2011 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
For instance, I was saying "boku no iken de" when it should have been "de ha". Since there's really no rule, or at least no obvious rule, I've got to start paying closer attention to what's being used.

I think it would be hard to come up with a rule of when to add は in a case like that, because it depends so much on the context and what was being said... it might change depending on what someone just said beforehand. People just explain, "oh you have to develop a feel for it". Right, real helpful....

I don't know the context or full phrase you were saying, but to me 「僕の意見では・・・」 might sound a little less presumptuous, if you are talking about yourself and your own opinion, and someone had just given theirs, or asked you a question. Or if you didn't agree or were perhaps changing the subject. But it depends.

Anyway, I had to get a reply in here someplace so I could get properly subscribed to your log. ;) That's great you found a new partner.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 174 of 407
25 August 2011 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
starrye wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
For instance, I was saying "boku no iken de" when it should have been "de ha". Since there's really no rule, or at least no obvious rule, I've got to start paying closer attention to what's being used.

I think it would be hard to come up with a rule of when to add は in a case like that, because it depends so much on the context and what was being said... it might change depending on what someone just said beforehand. People just explain, "oh you have to develop a feel for it". Right, real helpful....

I don't know the context or full phrase you were saying, but to me 「僕の意見では・・・」 might sound a little less presumptuous, if you are talking about yourself and your own opinion, and someone had just given theirs, or asked you a question. Or if you didn't agree or were perhaps changing the subject. But it depends.

Anyway, I had to get a reply in here someplace so I could get properly subscribed to your log. ;) That's great you found a new partner.

I didn't push the issue, but it appears that it's virtually always 僕の意見では. I just looked in Google and it appears 72,000 times with deha and 3,200 times with de only... (removing desu and de aru). And who knows if part of those don't come from non-natives.

Thanks for subscribing!

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5763 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 175 of 407
25 August 2011 at 7:26pm | IP Logged 
It's great that your friend is willing to give you such an honest appraisal, that is definitely the kind of feedback you need!

I got unstuck by particles in my skype exchange at the weekend. My partner summarised the most pervasive problems that foreigners have learning Japanese as てにをは. I think some of these nuances are on a par with the difficulties that Japanese people have handling definite/indefinite articles.

に is giving me particular problems at the moment, in so many ways!

I don't know how to fix it but I guess the first step is knowing you have a problem, right?

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 176 of 407
25 August 2011 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
I don't know how to fix it but I guess the first step is knowing you have a problem, right?

I really think so. I'll be paying really close attention from now on.

This discussion contains 407 messages over 51 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version