bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5141 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 225 of 407
01 November 2011 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I guess we tend to underestimate competition as a motivating factor. You are much better at this in the US and Canada. In Norway you are allowed to compete in sport, but if you had a competition like this in languages, they would probably bring in all the newspapers.

My previous experience in a speech contest has shown me that as a competition, it's about as biased and subjective as you can get. So many aspects of it are unfair. For instance, I was in the intermediate category, which is for people with less than 350 hours of study. The guy who won nationals had been studying for 3,5 years. But if you think about that, you just get frustrated and you miss the point -- the competition has to be with yourself. I only realized after the competition how much I had actually learned, linguistically, from the experience. It's what's motivating me to consider participating again.
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5141 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 226 of 407
02 November 2011 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
I was keeping a FAQ on Japanese pitch accent here, but it turns out it's impossible to edit a post after a few hours or days. I was hoping to keep updating the FAQ as I became more knowledgeable.

Does anyone have a suggestion of where I should move the FAQ to? I would prefer to be the only one to amend it, and I want it to be accessible to everyone online.

kagemusha
United States
Joined 4684 days ago

35 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 227 of 407
02 November 2011 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
I was keeping a FAQ on Japanese pitch accent any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26031">here, but it turns out it's
impossible to edit a post after a few hours or days. I was hoping to keep updating the
FAQ as I became more knowledgeable.

Does anyone have a suggestion of where I should move the FAQ to? I would prefer to be the
only one to amend it, and I want it to be accessible to everyone online.

Try Google Sites. https://sites.google.com Free with several templates available.

Edited by kagemusha on 02 November 2011 at 5:30pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6230 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 228 of 407
02 November 2011 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
I could also give you some space at learnlangs.com and set up a system that's easy to
maintain for this and anything else you may want to write. I'm already hosting my Greek
teacher's Greek blog and the
L-R wiki for other people.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5607 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 229 of 407
02 November 2011 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
I was keeping a FAQ on Japanese pitch accent here, but it turns out it's impossible to edit a post after a few hours or days. I was hoping to keep updating the FAQ as I became more knowledgeable.

Does anyone have a suggestion of where I should move the FAQ to? I would prefer to be the only one to amend it, and I want it to be accessible to everyone online.

Arekkusu, I would suggest that you copy your post with the FAQ on Japanese pitch accent and post it into your log. As far as I remember the technical side of it, there is no restriction by the administrator of editing posts in the Log Subforum.

Fasulye

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5141 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 230 of 407
02 November 2011 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:

Arekkusu, I would suggest that you copy your post with the FAQ on Japanese pitch accent and post it into your log. As far as I remember the technical side of it, there is no restriction by the administrator of editing posts in the Log Subforum.

Fasulye

Ah, maybe this is a good idea -- at least a good temporary idea.

@Sprachprofi -- I shall also consider your offer.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5141 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 231 of 407
03 November 2011 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
I spent some time last night trying to establish a few basic patterns to derive pitch accent in Japanese verbs, and a few categories are starting to emerge. I am guessing that identifying such categories would make learning pitch a little bit easier. In the meantime, I'm improving my understanding of the system.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5141 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 232 of 407
07 November 2011 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
Whenever friends or students express frustration over their lack of confidence in speaking a foreign language, I always push to step out of their comfort zone and to embrace failure. It's not a question of whether you will fail -- there is no doubt that you will! -- it's about accepting failure as a way to move forward.

Sometimes, I'm forced to admit that it's actually easy for me to say, because I (almost) enjoy humiliating myself when I learn a second language, and I start wondering whether I do step out of my comfort zone in other areas.

Well I most certainly did this weekend -- I did simultaneous interpretation at a conference.

I don't know if I can explain in words how nervous and intimidated I was. I'm not going to try because if I succeeded, I would only be adding to the humiliation. In the room, merely a few meters away from me, there were about 40 people gathered in the room, many of them well-known national journalists and broadcasters I recognized. This was serious.

I was invited to accompany two more seasoned interpreters who, at this point, had been interpreting for these guys for 2 days. At least I knew I could rely on them to help me. My task was unclear -- maybe I'd actually be interpreting, maybe I'd only be watching -- but I knew they'd be pushing me to do it. This was my 3rd time accompanying other interpreters, but somehow it was the most nerve-racking. Maybe my expectations keep growing?

Anyway, the conference started and the two interepreters went at it, back and forth for about 15 minutes a go, like clockwork, so I didn't dare intervene. Eventually, a one-hour break came and we were asked if we could stay an extra hour. "Sure," said the lead interpreter, "but the newcomer will be doing the interpretation." Oh brother. They basically told me what I tell other people -- don't worry about failure, it happens to all of us and you'll be fine. We all think failure will be the end of the world, and of course, it's never quite as bad as we'd envisioned it. I knew this was true in theory, but fear just plays a number on your brain.

The conference reconvened and I interpreted for a few minutes. I went pretty well, or so I thought. Then they stopped to move some electronic equipment and went right into ... a presentation on Mongolia! 45 minutes of non-stop simultaneous interpretation on the state of Mongolia on the eve of the economic boom brought on by the mining industry and its consequences on the social and economic landscape of the country. Phew! We don't usually interpret for that long, but since I was doing okay, they let me do all of it.

How many of you know how to say Ulaan Baatar in English? It must have come up about 20 times! I actually knew the capital of Mongolia, but wasn't quite sure how to say it! I'm hoping no one else did either. When you're interepreting, ANYTHING can come up and having good general knowledge is a necessity.

After 45 minutes, the presentation ended and we left the room. Not only did I survive, but I actually received some accolades from the interpreters and the organizer, so I was more than pleased. Oh it wasn't perfect; I know I screwed up in a few places. The audience probably didn't even notice. I believed I could do it, but now I know I can.

I can now confidently look people in the eye and tell them to step outside of their comfort zone and not feel like a hypocrit!

This discussion contains 407 messages over 51 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version