Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
407 messages over 51 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 30 ... 50 51 Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6229 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 233 of 407
07 November 2011 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
Way to go, Arekkusu! In which language was this interpretation?

At a previous Expolingua, I had the chance to try out an interpreter's booth. Boy it was
hard! I don't think I'm capable of simultaneous interpretation; I tend to follow what's
said and stop talking. I've done my share of consecutive interpretation (for friends and
friends' friends) though.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 234 of 407
07 November 2011 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Way to go, Arekkusu! In which language was this interpretation?

At a previous Expolingua, I had the chance to try out an interpreter's booth. Boy it was
hard! I don't think I'm capable of simultaneous interpretation; I tend to follow what's
said and stop talking. I've done my share of consecutive interpretation (for friends and
friends' friends) though.

Thanks! The languages were English and French, in both directions. I couldn't do this in any other language, at least not SI and not in a conference. It's way too demanding.
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 235 of 407
10 November 2011 at 5:13pm | IP Logged 
As I've been attempting to make sense of pitch variations in Japanese verbs, I created a chart that learners can use to determine, at a glance, where pitch will fall. Using this chart, I was able to take any verb said to me and find the proper pitch for any other form.

Verb Table for Pitch

If anyone is interesting in commenting or pointing out errors, I'd be most obliged. I had a native Japanese teacher confirm all these, but I'm hoping regional dialectal differences are not tinting the results, particularly as some forms exhibit some degree of variation.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 236 of 407
16 November 2011 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
For those of you who are interested in Japanese pitch accent, please be aware that the FAQ that could be found here in this forum has been moved to Sprachprofi's website here.

Keep in mind that it's a work in progress, as I keep updating it as knowledge and time allow.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 237 of 407
17 November 2011 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
Some people spend most of their language learning time reading, while others concentrate on speaking. We do so because of personal interests, or maybe even natural ability. But are all languages equally suited for either approach?

I don't think so.

For instance, if you read French and you understand the writing conventions, you will virtually always know how to pronounce words. There is no stress to worry about either. So reading French is probably very efficient, acquisition-wise. The same can be said for Korean (if you don't use hanja). Spanish and Italian have stress, but it's mostly predictable and it tends to be indicated when it doesn't follow certain conventions; learning those languages through reading would also be rather efficient.

But in English, the spelling is not always a good indication of pronunciation and stress is never indicated. So, if someone were learning English, I'd have to recommend a lot more listening than reading. In other languages like German or Russian, the spelling is mostly reliable, but the stress remains mostly unpredictable. I guess a mix of listening and reading is in order.

In a language like Japanese, parts of sentences are perfectly legible in kana, but the parts in kanji are not very helpful for the learner -- either you already know how to read it or else it gives you absolutely no information: virtually no information on the meaning, and none at all on the pronunciation. Moreover, although most learners are oblivious to this, the pitch accent system is not indicated at all in the writing either. So it wouldn't be very helpful to learn Japanese through reading. Of course, lots of people do it anyway, but they usually neglect speaking. I personally find reading Japanese to be quite frustrating because so little can be learned from it and there are so many obstacles. The same can be said of Mandarin when it isn't accompanied by pinyin -- add pinyin and it becomes completely reliable and consistent.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 238 of 407
27 November 2011 at 5:17am | IP Logged 
I've been thinking about studying Esperanto for a while. I wanted to do an experiment and see how much I
could learn in a given amount of time, say a month. Then I realized I'd never have a month, so I thought I
should settle for 2 weeks. Then I realized it would probably never happen. I get time here and there and I
never when it'll be or for how long.

So instead of waiting forever, I decided to learn Esperanto today! I was able to devote a few hours to it and
I wrote this entry in Lang-8 -- if any Esperantist would be kind enough to correct it... I have to admit that I
had to make guesses in a few places, especially when it comes to relative clauses and prepositions.

Hieraux, mi rigardis unun filmon. Estis la historio de unu viro kiu havis filon kiu volis vojagxi pri vidi lan
mondon. Cxar estis bona patro, li volis ke sia filo studu pri ke li trovu bonan laboron. Sed la filo estis sole
interesata pri la vojagxo. Pro tia racio, la raporto entre ili estis malfacila. La filo faris gxin kiun volis kaj ekiris
pri vojagxi.

Iam, dum li ludis golfon kun amikoj, la patro ricevis telefonan vokon de Francujo. Sia filo mortis dum marsxis
sur la irejo de Kompostelo.

Li decidis iri al Francujo pri rekuperi lajn restojn de sia filo. Post li alvenis tie, li komprenis ke tia vojagxo
estis tre grava pro sia filo. Do decidis li ke li marsxu sur la irejo en la memoro de sia filo.

En la irejo, li renkontis multajn aliajn vojagxantojn. Komence, li ne estis interesata en la homoj kiun li
renkontis, sed eventuale ili igxis amikojn kaj li komprenis la valoro de laj homoj.

De la filmo se komprenas ke la plu grava afero en sia vivo ne estas la argxento, ne estas la laboro, sed
estas laj homoj kiujn oni renkontas.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6229 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 239 of 407
28 November 2011 at 1:37am | IP Logged 
The biggest sources of mistakes were:
- "la" is unchangeable
- prepositions, as you yourself guessed. pri = about, pro = because of, per = by means of, por = in order to,
for
Esperanto Prepositions can be mastered more easily than prepositions in other languages -heck,
sometimes I still choose the wrong one in English! The main advantage is that each preposition has a
clearly-defined purpose, and then there's "je" as a joker. A quick explanation of prepositions:
http://www.lernu.net/lernado/gramatiko/konciza/prepozicioj.p hp

Examples:
interesata pri vojagxoj
por vidi la mondon
por ke li trovu bonan laboron
estis grava por li

Relative clauses didn't seem to pose a problem to you. I'd correct the whole, but for some reason my iphone
doesn't want to copy-paste it. So I hope that another forum member can jump in, or I'll do it when I find wifi
to use my laptop. All in all, I've seen people make quick progress in Esperanto, but I'm still amazed that you
were able to write this after one day of study!

3 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 240 of 407
28 November 2011 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
Thanks Sprachprofi!

For the benefit of anyone who might wish to correct it, here is an updated version.

Hieraux, mi rigardis bonegan filmon. Estis la historio de unu viro kiu havis filon kiu volis vojagxi por vidi la
mondon. Cxar estis bona patro, li volis ke sia filo studu por ke li trovu bonan laboron. Sed la filo estis sole
interesata pri vojagxoj. Pro tia racio, la raporto entre ili estis malfacilega. La filo faris gxin kiun volis kaj ekiris
por vojagxi.

Iam, dum li ludis golfon kun amikoj, la patro ricevis telefonan vokon de Francujo. Sia filo mortis dum marsxis
sur la irejo de Kompostelo.

Li decidis iri al Francujo por rekuperi la restojn de sia filo. Post li alvenis tie, li komprenis ke tia vojagxo
estis gravega por sia filo. Do decidis li ke li marsxu sur la irejo en lia memoro.

Survoje, li renkontis multajn aliajn vojagxulojn. Komence, li ne estis interesata por la homoj kiun li
renkontis, sed eventuale ili igxis amikojn kaj li komprenis la valoron de la homoj.

De la filmo se komprenas ke la plu grava afero en sia vivo ne estas la argxento, ne estas la laboro, sed
estas la homoj kiujn oni renkontas.

Edited by Arekkusu on 28 November 2011 at 2:02am

This discussion contains 407 messages over 51 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version