Joined 5141 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 249 of 407
26 December 2011 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
Here are my goals for 2012, as part of Team ne nur:

Japanese
Japanese will continue to be my main labour of love this year. While speaking is
comfortable and I enjoy Japanese-only conversations usually at least once or twice a
week, reading more complex texts continues to be difficult. Lately, I’ve been reading
more (mostly blogs and online articles) and I will continue to do that. I just hope
that my Japanese won’t suffer from my foray into other languages as my objectives for
this year are more diversified than last year.

German
I’ve only just renewed with the language, after not having used it for a good 15+
years. From what seems like a C1, I hope to take it to C2 (as per Sprachprofi’s
recommendation [post 247]). This will mostly be a question of increasing vocab and
fixing some minor grammatical issues along the way.

Esperanto
This is a requirement for the team. Worked on a few Esperanto texts so far (reading
alone, followed by a session of oral questions about the text with a speaker). Started
Teach Yourself, will finish soon. No plans yet after that.

Finnish
As part of this awesome Accelerated Finnish Challenge, I will be
studying Finnish for a maximum of 45 hours during the month of February. I’m really curious to
see what can be done with such a foreign language in just that many hours. I don’t have
a specific plan other than I will be starting with Teach Yourself and Assimil and
seeing where that takes me. I would ideally supplement that with speaking with a native
speaker, but I haven’t been able to find anyone yet. I would prefer meeting someone in
person, but I think I’ll have to go online.

Swahili
Joining Team ne nur requires that I study Swahili for 5 hours. I got Teach Yourself and
will probably use that for a few lessons. Might decide to finish the book or not
depending on how it feels!

Korean
Korean is a possible wanderlust language for 2012. I'm curious to see how much Japanese
will help or not. I know some Korean people, so it would be simple courtesy to learn a
bit of their language.

Edited by Arekkusu on 27 December 2011 at 4:34am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5141 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 250 of 407
28 December 2011 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
Lately, I've been slowly making my way through TY Esperanto -- I'm on lesson 7 right now. I must finish the book before February, when the Finnish Accelerated Challenge begins.

I've been listening to Japanesepod101 podcasts which I had left aside for a while (listened to Low Intermediate 40 to 50 this weekend). They did a really good job with these podcasts, apart from the fact that they obviously aren't Low Intermediate. I wish I could do something similar with Québec French... Actually, I wish I would stop talking about it and would just get to it at last! A few Japanese movies are also waiting for me, such as "My Darling is a Foreigner". I found the manga to be excruciatingly naive and stereotypical... and I expect the movie to be no better.

I've been enjoying some conversations in German to try to get back into shape with that old friend. I also have a whole bunch of Türkisch für Anfänger episodes waiting for me when I get the time.

Edited by Arekkusu on 28 December 2011 at 10:30pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5141 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 251 of 407
29 December 2011 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
I am considering starting a distinct log dealing specifically with pronunciation.

I would like to discuss my own efforts in acquiring accents and my experience teaching pronunciation, and document other people's experiences learning accents. I would like to tackle common language-specific issues.

If you think this would be worthwhile (or not), as opposed to simply adding such posts in this log, or if there is anything you would want to have covered in such a log, let me know.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6230 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 252 of 407
29 December 2011 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
I believe this is a great idea - I certainly would like to know more about how others managed to improve their
pronunciation, because I myself haven't spent much time on it at all.

However, I think this would be better in the form of a discussion thread in the "Learning Methods" forum, because it
would receive more attention there and because people would more likely feel that they are asked to weigh in with
their own suggestions and experiences - logs tend to be one-man shows.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5141 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 253 of 407
29 December 2011 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
However, I think this would be better in the form of a discussion thread in the "Learning Methods" forum, because it would receive more attention there and because people would more likely feel that they are asked to weigh in with their own suggestions and experiences - logs tend to be one-man shows.

My only problem with that is that it would make it impossible to maintain FAQ-like posts, such as a post about pronunciation mistakes Japanese people make when speaking English, for instance. It would also prevent updates to the first post that could link to specific posts without the log/thread.

Hiiro Yui
Diglot
United States
Joined 4477 days ago

111 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese

Message 254 of 407
30 December 2011 at 3:55am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu, I can help you with the japanese pitch accent.

I hesitate to contribute to forums like this because I've seen what is said to people who are passionate about learning the pitch accent, rare kanji, and rare words.
"Stop learning that because it's unnecessary."
"You're wasting your time because no one has ever succeeded in learning that."
"Fine. Learn whatever you want, but don't expect any help from us."
These aren't direct quotes, but if you want I'll dig up actual examples of these sentiments. Notice how these lead to self-fulfilling prophesies.

I'm a different kind of language learner. I am obsessed with learning every piece of this one language. I read the dictionary, but no novels. I intend to learn every word in the dictionary along with their usage rules so they are in my passive vocabulary, then work them into my active vocabulary. I also intend to learn all the kanji in the kanji kentei. Nowadays, I don't speak unless I know the pitch of the words I am speaking, and I repeat sentences I've heard ad nauseam all day long. I have no friends besides those at work, and I don't go out to have fun but I never burn out. I am fully aware that my style is in opposition to yours and everyone else's. I know that my lifestyle would be considered unhealthy by all professionals, but guess what. I'm happy. The very existence of a person like me has been strongly doubted by many people on forums like this. I am here to declare that I exist, and I am ecstatic at the progress I have been making in the language I love. I am nowhere near fluent, but I prioritize proficiency, anyway.

Arekkusu, for you, speaking immediately brings you joy. For me, acquiring certain kinds of knowledge brings me joy, and I don't mind if I never get the chance to use rare words or kanji. Our end goals and methods are different. That means it is not the case that one of us is learning japanese the inefficient way, so there is no point in arguing for or against either of our styles. It also means I can give you all the mind-numbingly intricate rules for the pitch accent, and you can memorize them in the way that fits your style.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5141 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 255 of 407
30 December 2011 at 4:03am | IP Logged 
Hi Hiiro Yui! Thank you for your passionate testimony. I'd appreciate any help on pitch,
particularly if you can help me patch up missing information on my webpage on pitch
(http://www.learnlangs.com/japanesepitch/index.php?title=Mai n_Page) or identify any wrong
information.

Hiiro Yui
Diglot
United States
Joined 4477 days ago

111 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese

Message 256 of 407
31 December 2011 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
First of all, let's talk on Skype. I want you to get feel for my personality and japanese ability. Since you understand IPA, maybe you can check my pronunciation for me. I sent you a PM with my Skype name.

This discussion contains 407 messages over 51 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version