bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 33 of 407
19 October 2010 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
Joshua B wrote:
Hi this is Kidshomestunner, I can't seem to post under that username so I am using this account: I just wondered if you would be doing any Sample translations in your log as I found that the feedback I got from you and others in my log was extremely useful...

I might, but I'm not ready to translate from Japanese quite yet. Although lately, I have indeed been doing simple translations into Japanese for the heck of it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 34 of 407
19 October 2010 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
Lately, the language roller-coaster has had me stalled on the bottom track and I can't seem to get going again. (I was going to make another allegory about how difficult climbing Mount Japanese has been lately, but then I realized how dumb a thread title I chose...)

Anywho...

Yesterday, I asked my Japanese friend how she acquired such a large English vocabulary. She paused for a short while and replied: "I watched dramas [sitcoms]". I was reading a grammar book at that time, and I started feeling awfully stupid.

Come to think of it, that's exactly what I'd say if someone asked me how I learned English. At the time, I didn't have Internet, I had virtually no access to English books other than a quality dictionary and I did exactly that -- I watched sitcoms and looked up the words I didn't know. And it worked.

The idea that if you just listen to podcasts or watch TV, you will eventually learn the language might appear counter-intuitive, but actually, it works. I know it works, I've done it before! So what the heck am I doing wasting my time reading grammars and complicated news articles that discourage me -- I should be watching TV dramas, taking notes and looking words up in a good dictionary!

And that's just what I'll do.

Now, if only I could have access to Japanese shows with Japanese subtitles, or if I could find a site similar to Yabla that offers Japanese...
2 persons have voted this message useful

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5718 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 35 of 407
19 October 2010 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
I watched sitcoms and looked up the words I didn't know. And it worked.

The idea that if you just listen to podcasts or watch TV, you will eventually learn the language might appear counter-intuitive, but actually, it works. I know it works, I've done it before! So what the heck am I doing wasting my time reading grammars and complicated news articles that discourage me -- I should be watching TV dramas, taking notes and looking words up in a good dictionary!

And that's just what I'll do.

Now, if only I could have access to Japanese shows with Japanese subtitles, or if I could find a site similar to Yabla that offers Japanese...

Can you order TV dramas online? There should some places that have reasonable prices, like maybe Ebay. I personally heavily use TV programs and movies...it's probably 80-90% of my work.

Edited by Snowflake on 19 October 2010 at 5:51pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 36 of 407
19 October 2010 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
Snowflake wrote:
Can you order TV dramas online? There should some places that have reasonable prices, like maybe Ebay. I personally heavily use TV programs and movies...it's probably 80-90% of my work.

Finding TV dramas for free is not a problem, but they have no subtitles. Proper Japanese DVDs would, but that option is infinitely more costly. Buying a 2-hour DVD and having it shipped to Canada is more expensive than paying a tutor for 2 hours.

I'm not mentioning that it would require a Japanese DVD player since I bought one the last time I went ;)

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5718 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 37 of 407
19 October 2010 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Finding TV dramas for free is not a problem, but they have no subtitles. Proper Japanese DVDs would, but that option is infinitely more costly. Buying a 2-hour DVD and having it shipped to Canada is more expensive than paying a tutor for 2 hours.

I'm not mentioning that it would require a Japanese DVD player since I bought one the last time I went ;)

Ah, but one really good DVD with Japanese subtitles would go a very long way. I consider that to be much better than several hours of tutoring.

Edited by Snowflake on 19 October 2010 at 7:46pm

loveroflanguage
Groupie
United States
Joined 5125 days ago

57 posts - 83 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 38 of 407
20 October 2010 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
I think your log is cool! I can understand about the stalling...my Arabic is sadly lacking as of this week and my motivation is also waning. so keep plugging, you give me encouragement to continue.

About the DVDs...do they have a Amazon Canada? I am looking now at all kinds of Japanese movies, sitcoms and karate movies with subs in English, Chinese and the like; and they are pretty cheap--and all region so your DVD player will play them. :o) One I am looking at now, with Jackie Chan called the drunk mantis is about 1.95. Would that be too much in shipping to Canada? I don't know what the rate of exchange is there and how much more it would be if you just bought it from US Amazon site.

Anyway, please keep studying! I have been looking at how I study and I think that it is boredom that is making my motivation and studying wane off. Maybe that is yours, too. Good luck!

Chill
Diglot
Groupie
Japan
Joined 4924 days ago

68 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French

Message 39 of 407
20 October 2010 at 6:44am | IP Logged 
If you are going to order DVDs of Japanese movies, be careful to make sure them come with Japanese subtitles. Unfortunately this is very rare. The hearing impaired in Japan don't seem to get the degree of consideration in Japan they do in other countries.

Another idea is to get a recording of the standard variety type tv programs. They all have extensive subtitling, a practice which started over 10 years ago and has greatly increased since then. It is not all subtitled but a lot is.

Another potential source is NHK news broadcasts for the deaf. They are completely subtitled, and if I remember correctly there is furigana as well.

Good luck!

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 40 of 407
20 October 2010 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
@loveroflanguage Thanks for the kind words ;)

As for subtitles on Japanese DVDs, I was just reading a post on AJATT about how most DVDs do not present accurate captions, and that it's kind of a hit and miss...

---------

Went back to watching dramas yesterday, flanked by my trustworthy Ex-Word dictionary, and I had lots of fun. My brain was buzzing with Japanese expressions afterwards, so this is certainly what I'll be doing for a while. For the record, the show I'm currently watching has no subtitles at all and I'm concentrating on parsing the words I don't know and looking them up.

This discussion contains 407 messages over 51 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version