95 messages over 12 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12
Faraday
United States
Joined 5913 days ago

129 posts - 256 votes 
Speaks: German*

Message 89 of 95
25 January 2011 at 6:10am | IP Logged 
Can you say a little more about this system? For example, what is PVO?
1 person has voted this message useful

uuuuaaaa
Poland
Joined 5151 days ago

5 posts - 12 votes
Studies: Finnish

Message 90 of 95
04 March 2011 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 
If I remember correctly, some people from the forum were trying to experiment with text memorization. How did it worked out?

Here are two other articles on the subject:

"Repetition and learning by heart: an aspect of intimate discourse, and its implications" by Guy Cook

"Rediscovering recitation" by JI Meng-yue

Josh Cohen
United States
mnemotechnics.org/
Joined 4671 days ago

35 posts - 63 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Portuguese, Esperanto

Message 91 of 95
31 October 2011 at 7:07am | IP Logged 
Faraday wrote:
Can you say a little more about this system? For example, what is PVO?

I just stumbled across this thread in Google. PVO means Person-Verb-Object. It's also called PAO, or Person, Action, Object.

It's a way to encode information (typically numbers) so that they can be memorized.

Example PAO system:

number = person | action | object

16 = Arnold Schwarzenegger | lifting | barbell
22 = a chef | dicing | onion
81 = a giant | smashing | club

Chunk large numbers in 6 digits, and then in twos. The first 2 digits are a person, the second two are an action, and the third two are an object. Examples:

16-22-81 = Arnold dicing a club
22-16-81 = a chef lifting a club
81-16-22 = a giant lifting an onion

Visual memory is incredibly powerful, and by placing those images in a memory palace, one can memorize thousands of digits at at time.

Giordano Bruno had a similar, but more complex, system for languages, which is described here:
http://warburg.sas.ac.uk/index.php?id=446

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4660 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 92 of 95
01 November 2011 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
This may be an old thread, but it's new to me and I'm finding a lot of interesting information here.

For my target language, Spanish, I am going to try some of these videos. They have the advantage that the transcript is displayed below the video in real time and the playback can be slowed down for initial practice.

http://lomastv.com/

Go down a little ways and click on "El Aula Azul" for a sample of how it works.

--gary

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6067 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 93 of 95
26 December 2012 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
I think some measure of text memorisation is not only beneficial but practically unavoidable, if you want to get somewhere with foreign language study.

I have recently begun using mnemonics to learn groups of ten L2 vocabulary items. The method itself is fairly well known - you attach the words to memory hook words, like 1. TEA 2. NOAH 3. MAY, 4. RAY and so on.

Edited by William Camden on 26 December 2012 at 3:45pm

ericblair
United States
Joined 4506 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 
Studies: French

Message 94 of 95
11 January 2014 at 5:40am | IP Logged 
I came across this interesting discussion on memorization of text and wanted to bump it
in case anyone else might find it useful! Any recent experiences with memorization anyone
wishes to share?

Sterogyl
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4162 days ago

152 posts - 263 votes 
Studies: German*, French, EnglishC2
Studies: Japanese, Norwegian

Message 95 of 95
14 January 2014 at 7:37am | IP Logged 
If you like it, do it. It's not the only way to go, but it can be very helpful and leads to an immediate sense of achievement. I did it with several texts and I do think it is efficacious. Important: Don't make it TOO hard. I recommend the "first letter method". And why not using a translation as an additional hint? For example:

English:
We were in class when the head-master came in, followed by a "new fellow," not wearing the school uniform, and a school servant carrying a large desk.

French:
N é à l'É, q l P e, s d'u n h e b e d g d c q p u g p.

(=Nous étions à l'Étude, quand le Proviseur entra, suivi d'un nouveau habillé en bourgeois et d'un garçon de classe qui portait un grand pupitre.)

This discussion contains 95 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version