15 messages over 2 pages: 1
daveyboy
Spain
Joined 5077 days ago

33 posts - 46 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 15
23 September 2010 at 10:09am | IP Logged 

Bcurtis, the pronouns can be difficult to get your head around, i still struggle some
times.

You could start surfing the net and look for sites that explain in more detail about
these pronouns and the verbs that are used with them. or a grammar book that gives more
detail on them.

Look for explanations on them, then look for these pronouns being used in context with
the English equivalent, it should give you better knowledge on how and when to use
them.

1 person has voted this message useful

psy88
United States
Joined 5386 days ago

469 posts - 882 votes 
Studies: Spanish*, Japanese, Latin, French

Message 10 of 15
24 September 2010 at 5:19am | IP Logged 
The Practice Makes Perfect series (which I think is a great value for the money) has a book on Spanish pronouns. Why not give it a look?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Merv
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5068 days ago

414 posts - 749 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbo-Croatian*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 11 of 15
24 September 2010 at 6:02am | IP Logged 
If you are thinking he and has are pronouns at this point, rather than conjugations of haber, it means that Rosetta
Stone is not teaching you effectively anything.

You need to get a real program with complete sentences and translations, so you can understand what is going on.
I use Assimil Spanish and if you were to do so you would see within maybe 5 or 10 lessons what haber is all about.

Trust me, drop the RS as soon as possible. It is just a massive waste of your time.
2 persons have voted this message useful

daveyboy
Spain
Joined 5077 days ago

33 posts - 46 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 12 of 15
24 September 2010 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
Bcurtis, Merv is absolutely right about ditching the RS, it mite give you the basics
but that's it.!

Change your method and buy an Assimal Spanish with ease book with audio, it will fast
forward your learning like crazy..!!

Most of the Spanish learners on this site use the Assimil books, and the learners of
other languages use them as well.

Also look for the Topic / debate on here about Rosetta Stone [big thread] there are not
many who will use it, and think it is a total waste of money and time.!

I actually used RS when I first started to learn Spanish in England and thought it was
great..haha.. then when I moved to Spain, I realized how useless it was.

Happy Learning mate.

Gray
United States
Joined 5831 days ago

32 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 13 of 15
17 October 2010 at 4:24am | IP Logged 
Here is a good free Spanish grammar resource. Honestly, if you've already purchased Rosetta Stone, probably the last thing you want to do now is spend more money :)

Here is the lesson on the present perfect (he, has, ha, hemos, han + past participle)

Reflexive verbs are in Unit Five. (Me, Te, Se)

Direct object pronouns are in Unit Four (Me, Te, lo, la, los, las, nos, etc.)

And the indirect object pronouns are also in Unit Four (Me, Te, Le, Les, etc.)

And yes, using the perfect constructions (haber+past participle) is a universal thing in Spanish, so you do have to learn it. And the various pronouns and reflexive verbs are likewise used throughout the Spanish speaking world. These are not strange regionalisms, they're completely standard Spanish.
4 persons have voted this message useful

tibbles
Diglot
United States
Joined 4986 days ago

245 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean

Message 14 of 15
24 October 2010 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
Bcurtis, since you (or your parents?) may have spent hundreds of dollars on Rosetta Stone, it may still be possible to salvage some usefulness from it. What I recommend is that you obtain the Michel Thomas Spanish course (purchase, borrow, download, whatever) and listen to it. That course will provide you with enough of the ground rules of Spanish to enable you to distinguish verbs from pronouns. This is one of my peeves about Rosetta Stone: it is quite possible and logical for a learner to infer some pattern that is completely contrary to its meaning within the language because RS provides no explanation.

Sandman
Diglot
United States
Joined 5203 days ago

168 posts - 389 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 15 of 15
26 October 2010 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
Hi bcurtis.

Don't take it personal, but in here you're going to get a bit of grief over the RS use. I've used RS a bit and I don't think it's toooo bad as long as you understand its limitations and are basically using it just to learn vocabulary (although there are much cheaper and in some ways better methods for doing this). Supplementing it with some more formal grammar work (as well as something like the Michel Thomas suggestion above) will go a LONG way to making it a more useful program since in RS you spend way too much time staring at grammar that frankly may NEVER make sense unless you look it up elsewhere.

Also, whatever stage you're on in RS, don't buy any more. If you have money to burn like that, you can just send it to me instead :)

Edited by Sandman on 26 October 2010 at 10:14am

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version