9 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
COF
United States
Joined 5591 days ago

262 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 9
26 September 2010 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
I am wondering if anyone could suggest a good, comprehensive course for Portuguese. Preferably Brazilian Portuguese, but I would consider European Portuguese if there is a particularly good course for it.

Thanks
1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5022 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 2 of 9
26 September 2010 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
Hmmm, I'm probably not a good person to advise you since I am studying Portuguese after having learned Spanish and using advanced materials. The default source is the free FSI PortugueseThere are also websites where you can order the whole thing with all of the audio downloaded for you already for about $20 on a dvd. Some people find the course to be too tedious.

"Ponto de Encontro" is available from Amazon and E-bay. It is a comprehensive course with audio, video and workbooks available. Of course, you'll have to pay somewhere around $200 for all of this.

Do a "G search" on this site for opinions on the common learning programs.

Free resources for Portuguese are difficult to come across. Instead of buying "Pimsleur", I would do a youtube search where you can find (and download and also convert the files to mp3 with the right web-programs) videos that teach vocabulary and basic beginner lessons.

Edited by iguanamon on 26 September 2010 at 8:07pm

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5058 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 3 of 9
26 September 2010 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
COF wrote:
I am wondering if anyone could suggest a good, comprehensive course for Portuguese. Preferably Brazilian Portuguese, but I would consider European Portuguese if there is a particularly good course for it.Thanks

Have a look at BrazilianPodClass by Marina Gomes, it is one of the best pod-casts I know and I have downloaded plenty of the material there for my own use. The price for supporting written documents or complete packages is very fair, while the audio is available free of charge, so you risk nothing by testing it. (Maybe site map is an easier place to start from.)

Edited by lingoleng on 26 September 2010 at 7:14pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

scootermclean
Diglot
Groupie
United States
scottmclean.net
Joined 6238 days ago

69 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), Basque

Message 4 of 9
02 October 2010 at 9:24am | IP Logged 
If you already speak Spanish, Assimil has a Portuguese course in the Spanish language. I
am currently using it and it is not bad.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6669 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 9
02 October 2010 at 11:39am | IP Logged 
The material used in the university course I'm taking right now is "Portugues XXI" by Ana Tavares, volume 1 consists of a textbook+CD (approximately 1 hour) and a book filled with exercises (each book can be bought separately). ISBN 978-972-757-541-1.

It's my first serious attempt at Portuguese and so far, I really like the material. Everything is in Portuguese. Instructions, grammar explanations etc. There is a multilingual dictionary at the end of the textbook (Portuguese->German/English/Spanish/French), which I however haven't been using that much (since I know Spanish).

Oops, I almost forgot to mention that I think it's European Portuguese.

http://www.fca.pt/cgi-bin/lidel_main.cgi/?op=3&mnu=10&edicao =1&isbn=978-972-757-541-1&novidade=0

It should be available through Amazon as well.

When I'm finished with this, I might have a look at FSI.

mcjon77
United States
Joined 6371 days ago

193 posts - 248 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Egyptian), French

Message 6 of 9
02 October 2010 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
scootermclean wrote:
If you already speak Spanish, Assimil has a Portuguese course in the Spanish language. I
am currently using it and it is not bad.

Is the Assimil course Brazilian Portuguese or European Portuguese?

tracker465
United States
Joined 5112 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 7 of 9
02 October 2010 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
Living Language has a Brazilian Portuguese course

delta910
Diglot
United States
Joined 5635 days ago

267 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, German

Message 8 of 9
02 October 2010 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
The Teach Yourself series has both Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese. I would also look into the free FSI course
online. As stated above, since you speak Spanish, go pick up the Assimil Portuguese course. I do believe that the
Living Language series has an Ultimate Portuguese course, too. Shouldn't be hard to find these resources.

I would also find some online Portuguese newspaper sites for more content. It may be more advanced to what you
are used to but I have found doing tons of reading helps me out building my vocabulary.

On another note, I would also look into Steve Kaufmann's website called Lingq.com. It offers Portuguese and they
have tons of content with text and audio. It is free to sign up. I am using it for my Spanish and German and I love it.
Steve has a youtube channel: lingosteve If you want to know a bit more about the site.

A few good G-searches on this site and some Google searches would help you for anything else you may want.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version