Bill_Sage667
Groupie
United States
Joined 5015 days ago

62 posts - 71 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 8
30 September 2010 at 8:30am | IP Logged 
Luca says it took him 2 years to attain a very high level of fluency in German. How long
would you reckon would it take to attain a very high level fluency in the same language,
but this time, without having to worry about the active aspects of the language? Would it
take only half of the time or much less?
1 person has voted this message useful

Britomartis
Groupie
United States
Joined 5619 days ago

67 posts - 74 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 2 of 8
30 September 2010 at 8:44am | IP Logged 
I think there are far too many variables to give any semi-accurate estimate. However, I do not think it will be much less than what is needed for complete fluency because the active side of a language reinforces the passive.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jae
Triglot
United States
Joined 5474 days ago

206 posts - 239 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Latin
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, French

Message 3 of 8
14 October 2010 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
I'm not quite sure what you mean to learn a language passively.
Do you just mean living in the country without actively pursuing knowledge of the language (i.e. not through books, a class, etc.)? By watching movies until the language starts to sink in without formal training?
If this is what you mean, then I think it takes much longer to learn this way than to study actively with books, the internet, a class, etc.
However, if you just mean, how long you have to study a language until you can understand it completely (even if you cannot personally speak/write fluently), then this is probably shorter, since I assume you are pursuing study of the language actively. In this case, I have known people to live in the country of the language they were learning for a year, and they have been able to speak only conversationally/with basic fluency, but they could understand more than they could speak. I think, however, this is the same for every level of active (verbal) fluency - your passive understanding is higher...in this case, you probably still need to be pretty good actively to be passively "fluent."
Sorry if that was a pretty vague answer; I was just trying to explain my thought process behind it...I think the actual time depends on the person, their previous knowledge, their ability, etc. Good luck!

BiaHuda
Triglot
Groupie
Vietnam
Joined 5173 days ago

97 posts - 127 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Vietnamese
Studies: Cantonese

Message 4 of 8
14 October 2010 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
jae wrote:
I'm not quite sure what you mean to learn a language passively.
Do you just mean living in the country without actively pursuing knowledge of the language (i.e. not through books, a class, etc.)? By watching movies until the language starts to sink in without formal training?
If this is what you mean, then I think it takes much longer to learn this way than to study actively with books, the internet, a class, etc.

If this kind of learning is what you are talking about, the learning through osmosis type of thing, there is a good chance that it may never happen. I have seen alot of expats living here in Vịệt Nam that have been here as long as 22 years without being able to utter the most rudimentary of phrases. Mostly related to food, drink or shopping. Not much different from the tourist who can order "dos cerveza por favor" on a Spanish or Mexican holiday.

Maybe there is a thread on this somewhere on the site. I've heard of proponents for this type of learning, like an infant or whatever, but I don't see much evidence to support it.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5191 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 5 of 8
14 October 2010 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
Whatever are the "active aspects" of a language?

B-Tina
Tetraglot
Germany
dragonsallaroun
Joined 5337 days ago

123 posts - 218 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Polish

Message 6 of 8
14 October 2010 at 7:27pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu: output-related activities, I guess - i.e. writing and speaking.

delta910
Diglot
United States
Joined 5685 days ago

267 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, German

Message 7 of 8
14 October 2010 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
I think what is meant by passively learn a language is to be able to read and hear the language. Actively would
probably mean along the lines of being able to speak and to write.

In my opinion, to learn a language to a passive like stage, to read a book with ease and say watch the news or a film
with the same fluidity, shouldn't take you that long depending on the language. Just work hard and you'll get there.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6360 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 8 of 8
15 October 2010 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
German is probably do-able. Maybe 5 times as long?

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version