Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 17 of 30
07 October 2010 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
"Dreams of Valhalla", Day 7
(An experiment in learning Swedish)

Study-and-click: 3 hours (32 total)
New passive words: 239 (2544 total)
Today's reading score: 90% (-1%, "Män som hatar kvinnor", Kapitel 8, 100 words)

You might be thinking what I'm thinking now. Was yesterday a fluke...just a lucky touchdown early on in the game? Well I'm not absolutely sure, to tell you the truth, but all these test passages do seem quite hard and somehow once again it looks like I've fallen into Lady Luck's pocket and scored 90% at the end of the day. This is really encouraging.

I also had a little look in the "Skandinavisk & Nordisk" section of the forum this afternoon, and was pleasantly surprised how I could get the gist of several posts in other Scandinavian languages too. The rewards from learning Swedish are just getting better and better! Time for some Gille Double Chocolate Crisps... :P

1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5353 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 18 of 30
08 October 2010 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
"Dreams of Valhalla", Day 8

Study-and-click: 1 hour (33 total)
New passive words: 110 (2654 total)
Today's reading score: 92% (+2%, "Män som hatar kvinnor", Kapitel 9, 100 words)

My girlfriend and I have been knee-deep in paperwork for moving back to UK, as well as having several potential tenants drop by to view the flat. And we're following this by treating our landlord and his wife out to a meal in an Austrian restaurant tonight, so there's really no chance of squeezing in any real time today.

Yet amidst all this, I've somehow managed to align several more chapters of Harry Potter, keep pace, and chalk up 92%. Having scored in the 90s for 3 consecutive reading tests is a reassuring green light that I'm probably doing something right and heading in a good direction after all.

So now begins the steeper, rockier climb to reach my extended goal of 95% (which I position around C1 level in reading). This will mean finding more hours in my currently topsy-turvy schedule somehow, and not getting discouraged if reading scores fluctuate wildly or plateau for a while.

Not an easy trek ahead really, when I come to think about it, especially given the diminishing returns of learning new vocabulary from this point onwards and a fair amount of contextual variance between novels anyway. However, I'm really enjoying learning Swedish so far and am going to give it a shot all the same. If I can achieve this additional goal over the next couple of weeks, then I'm definitely planting a flag at the summit and celebrating with a bottle of Rewe's or Tesco's finest (depending on where I'm living)!

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6154 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 19 of 30
08 October 2010 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
Not an easy trek ahead really, when I come to think about it, especially given the diminishing returns of learning new vocabulary from this point onwards

But I believe you can look forward to a major vocabulary boost when you reach the magical point where the German and Swedish etymologies meet! Now, I don't know German, but very often when I hear a German word I don't understand, I can figure it out from context using some imagination.

The latest one was when a German friend didn't know the English word for "Kanonenfutter". I didn't know the English term by then (cannon fodder), but was still able to track the meaning to the Swedish equivalent word "Kanonmat". There are tons of expressions that are based upon similar foundations (but hidden in a German disguise).

That's an exciting aspect of German/Swedish, that sometimes triggers my wanderlust. -You lucky boy ;D ;D

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5353 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 20 of 30
09 October 2010 at 8:43pm | IP Logged 
"Dreams of Valhalla", Day 9

Study-and-click: 5 hours (38 total)
New passive words: 360 (3014 total)
Today's reading score: 91% (-1%, "Män som hatar kvinnor", Kapitel 10, 100 words)

I'm fast becoming a life-long fan of Swedish words and expressions. They translate across exceptionally well to older poetic and idiomatic forms of English, and offer a vivid descriptiveness that's often missing in contemporary English which helps make paragraphs come alive. It's something I really look forward to with each turn of the page.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5353 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 21 of 30
10 October 2010 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
"Dreams of Valhalla", Day 10

Study-and-click: 2 hours (40 total)
New passive words: 104 (3118 total)
Today's reading score: 93% (+2%, "Män som hatar kvinnor", Kapitel 11, 100 words)

The tenth of the tenth of the tenth, and a pleasant sunny Sunday on the whole! I was simply exhausted by the end of this week, so I'm really glad I took some quality time out to relax and go for a wander in the countryside today. Carpets of rustling, crunchy leaves, and a shedding tapestry of beautiful autumn hues. I'm now wondering what it's like in Sweden this time of year too? :)

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5353 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 22 of 30
11 October 2010 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
"Dreams of Valhalla", Day 11

Study-and-click: 1 hour (41 total)
New passive words: 59 (3177 total)
Today's reading score: 89% (-4%, "Män som hatar kvinnor", Kapitel 12, 100 words)

It was hard to get back on track this Monday with so many goodbyes to say before I leave. So I just ended up putting in an hour of study after I returned from an evening out with friends at a Vietnamese restaurant. This, and a few glasses of japanischer Pflaumenwein, no doubt reflect in my reading score tonight. ;)

Edited by Teango on 11 October 2010 at 10:55pm

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6154 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 23 of 30
12 October 2010 at 10:27am | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
Carpets of rustling, crunchy leaves, and a shedding tapestry of beautiful autumn hues. I'm now wondering what it's like in Sweden this time of year too? :)

Yes! Sweden is beautiful right now!

-Njuter av de sprakande färgerna och den krispiga höstluften!

-Immensely enjoying the sparkling colors and the crispy autumn air!

(describing air as "krispig" is not common in Sweden, but I think it captures the feeling perfectly).

It's so nice following your log. Your enthusiasm makes me wish I also could dive into some passionate Swedish LR.   ;D
2 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5353 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 24 of 30
13 October 2010 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
"Dreams of Valhalla", Day 12

It was business more than usual today, so I just had time to listen to some Harry Potter whilst in transit. I've only now got in the door and it's early morning, so to be honest, I'm shattered.

I'll try and make up the study hours later this week. I hope I don't plummet too far down with my vocabulary for missing out a day or so, but with things as chaotic as they are this week, it can't really be helped. [edit]

Edited by Teango on 13 October 2010 at 5:23pm

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version