United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5181 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 5
01 October 2010 at 2:13am | IP Logged 

Has anyone used this course? I was looking at it and it looks good (I've used a few of the other "Ultimate" courses), but it doesn't really address writing until later in the book, and then almost as an afterthought.

Has anyone used this? Would it be better to start (or use something else WITH) it that focuses on the writing systems?
1 person has voted this message useful

budonoseito
Pro Member
United States
budobeyondtechnRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5591 days ago

261 posts - 344 votes 
Studies: French, Japanese
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 5
01 October 2010 at 2:50am | IP Logged 
I have used it. It is more grammar based with example sentences. There are dialogs at the
beginning of each section. The CDs are good to review the lesson in the car. But, as you
noticed already, it does not do anything for reading and writing for a long time.

Chris
Heptaglot
Japan
Joined 6907 days ago

287 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Indonesian, French, Malay, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Korean, Mongolian

Message 3 of 5
01 October 2010 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
It is a very good course, but it focuses on speaking, first and foremnost.

If you want something that goes more into the writing, have a look at 'Genki' or 'Minna No Nihongo' or the kana/kanji versions of 'Japanese For Busy People.'

It depends what your goals are. If you can be more specific, so can we, in our recommendations.

Would it be better to start off with the writing systems? Oh, heck YES! I have lived in Japan since 1998, and I started out with romaji texts. Big mistake, because I had an aversion to reading Japanese properly for a long time. If you have the time, I would recommend starting out by hauling yourself over learning the kana (at least) from the outset (look up mnemonics books by Rowley - they make it really easy) to begin with. It will slow you down slightly at the outset, but it will pay dividends later.

Edited by Chris on 01 October 2010 at 3:12pm

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5181 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 5
03 October 2010 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
It's one of the languages I plan to study more seriously down the line, but I like to expose myself to the sights and sounds of the (more exotic) languages before I really delve into them. (Plus, I've got a few others I'm focusing on.)

I was thinking about learning the kana first. I don't really believe in learning a language using the "wrong" alphabet - I'd much rather learn it the right way the first time. I will have to see if I can get ahold of Genki and see if I like it.

sheetz
United States
Joined 6163 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 
Studies: Japanese, French, Mandarin

Message 5 of 5
03 October 2010 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
I only have the advanced set and I wouldn't particularly recommend that one unless you're going to Japan on business. When they say "advanced" they don't mean that it will help prepare you for the higher levels of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test. In fact I don't think any advanced grammar is taught. Instead what it does do is prepare foreign businessmen for a greater variety of situations they may encounter on their visits to Japan (interviews, presentations, appointments, golf, etc.) The audio CDs are good quality, however, and the speed of the dialog is quite a bit faster than in Assimil.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version