Norway
Joined 4825 days ago

173 posts - 229 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, German, Spanish, Indonesian
Studies: Russian

Message 42 of 58
21 February 2011 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

What I was trying to point out, was that the internet, and for that matter youtube, are
places with no mercy. It is not how I would like them to be, it is simply how they are.
"If you can't take the heat, then get out of the kitchen."

Exactly why I have never made any videos of myself! I'm far too self concious.

2 persons have voted this message useful

janababe
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5273 days ago

102 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German

Message 44 of 58
22 February 2011 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

I'll try to go through this nice and slowly for you.

yeah, you're more intelligent than me what with you being Head of International Affairs and me a part-time model and karaoke singer, but hey, but don't you think that put down's a bit rude and disrespectful considering the topic of our discussion is mental disability?

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
What I was trying to point out, was that the internet, and for that matter youtube, are places with no mercy. It is not how I would like them to be, it is simply how they are. "If you can't take the heat, then get out of the kitchen."

I would agree with you on that, but I don't see those guys complaining about not taking the heat, I only see some of the folks here giving them a hard time. Some people really had it in for Cesare. The guy clearly said he was autistic but there were some people here who were out to get him (no, not you SC). The way h got picked on was LOW coz it just is.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Having grown up next door to a home for physically disabled people ,

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Otherwise my main point, which evidently I did not explain clearly enough for you, was that I am not sure being called delusional, or mentally disabled is the most respectful way of treating other people.

So in your books it's respectful to call a person physically disabled, but not mentally? How come?

Cesare says he has PDD autism. So I'd have thought that means he's mentally disabled. Should he be ashamed and be disrespected? NO! I respect the mentally disabled people like I respect the physically disabled people like I respect the people who aren't disabled..... unless they're @ssholes of course ;)

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
But hey, I am Norwegian. It may be different in Sweden.

I was talking for myself actually, not for a few million people who I mostly haven't met.

But yeah, I guess it's different in Sweden coz folks can be mentally disabled and go out into the real world here. Respect!

They get assistance to do that too, like with the Handi system. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih1HYJn-wgM

Peace on earth ;)

Edited by janababe on 22 February 2011 at 4:18pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5093 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian

Message 45 of 58
22 February 2011 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
janababe wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

I'll try to go through this nice and slowly for you.

yeah, you're more intelligent than me what with you being Head of International Affairs and me a part-time model and karaoke singer, but hey, but don't you think that put down's a bit rude and disrespectful considering the topic of our discussion is mental disability?

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
What I was trying to point out, was that the internet, and for that matter youtube, are places with no mercy. It is not how I would like them to be, it is simply how they are. "If you can't take the heat, then get out of the kitchen."

I would agree with you on that, but I don't see those guys complaining about not taking the heat, I only see some of the folks here giving them a hard time. Some people really had it in for Cesare. The guy clearly said he was autistic but there were some people here who were out to get him (no, not you SC). The way h got picked on was LOW coz it just is.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Having grown up next door to a home for physically disabled people ,

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Otherwise my main point, which evidently I did not explain clearly enough for you, was that I am not sure being called delusional, or mentally disabled is the most respectful way of treating other people.

So in your books it's respectful to call a person physically disabled, but not mentally? How come?

Cesare says he has PDD autism. So I'd have thought that means he's mentally disabled. Should he be ashamed and be disrespected? NO! I respect the mentally disabled people like I respect the physically disabled people like I respect the people who aren't disabled..... unless they're @ssholes of course ;)

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
But hey, I am Norwegian. It may be different in Sweden.

I was talking for myself actually, not for a few million people who I mostly haven't met.

But yeah, I guess it's different in Sweden coz folks can be mentally disabled and go out into the real world here. Respect!

They get assistance to do that too, like with the Handi system. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih1HYJn-wgM

Peace on earth ;)

The thing about internet, is that you get judged from what you say, and not for who you are. I did not know that you knew my occupation, nor do I think it has anything to do with the discussion at hand, and I most certainly had no idea of what your occupation was. Though having once made a total a** of myself trying to sing karaoke, I would tend to have the utmost respect for those who do that well.

The reason why I said I would do this nice and slowly was that you attributed to me a whole lot of negative opinions I do not have. Hence the obvious need for being clearer.

And to be quite frank I did see Cesare not taking the heat. I agree with you that he was attacked quite severely, which is why I in a later thread asked "Are we being too hard on the pologlots". I did however also see him take positive criticism quite badly.

And no, I do not think it is disrespectful to call anyone anything, that they quite obviously are. I have respect for any sort of disability, but few of us like to be defined as something we are not.

What I am trying to get through, and obviously failing, is that I do not think it is more respectful to call someone insane than to call them arrogant.

Why do you keep trying to attribute to me negative attitudes that I do not have?

4 persons have voted this message useful

polyglHot
Pentaglot
Norway
Joined 4825 days ago

173 posts - 229 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, German, Spanish, Indonesian

Message 46 of 58
22 February 2011 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
Let's use a real life example here;

The other day I went to my local bakery here in St. Petersburg, and the woman behind
the counter asked me; (In Russian) What's wrong with your hand? Why is it shaking so
badly?
I was trying to hand her the money but had too much stuff in my hands so it was taking
forever, of course I had to use cash, and the correct amount too. My left hand shakes
very badly every day, and I had to explain to her that I was sick "but not an
alcoholic" She just looked at me like "Yeah right..."

I have a left hand that shakes very badly every day. When people comment on it as being
a physical disability I am not offended by it, as this is, in fact, a physical
disability.
However when they ask if I am an alcoholic that offends me, as that is far from the
truth and my shaky hands stem from completely different reasons.

I don't care if people call me physically disabled, but when they say that I am
mentally ill, mentally disabled etc. or an alcoholic that's pretty bad. According to
some doctors I am mentally ill and/or mentally disabled (They couldn't quite make up
their minds) but I don't belive in that kind of classification anymore.

1 person has voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6627 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 47 of 58
22 February 2011 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
Leave it to language lovers to get stuck on words and labels. :-P

And that's what is happening here, I think, when you get down to it. People have a hard time seeing past themselves. I mean that as an insult to on one; indeed it happens to me, so I'm not innocent. Someone makes a remark, and it's taken the wrong way, and suddenly people have honor to protect instead of letting it go and getting on with life. This is happening amongst this thread, and it is also pertinent to Mr. Fazah himself, I think, since he keeps saying what he sees as true, but what apparently isn't true.

Everyone has some physical or mental flaw or disability. Or perhaps I out to clarify by saying I have never met anyone who was flawless in every regard. I understand people getting upset at being accused of something that isn't true, like being called negative or an alcoholic, but there comes a point I think when the best way to respond is just let the other party speak their piece, becomes sometimes no middle ground can be found.

Perhaps it would be better to just accept these incidences as part of life and move on accordingly and peacefully.

Edited by Journeyer on 22 February 2011 at 7:48pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version