United States
thelinguistblogger.w
Joined 6012 days ago

198 posts - 299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (classical)

Message 33 of 58
20 February 2011 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
Videos in Hebrew, Classical and Colloquial Arabic, French, German, Spanish, Swedish and a new Vietnamese presentation.

http://www.youtube.com/user/srcforeignlanguages#p/u
1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5607 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 34 of 58
20 February 2011 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
Ziad Fazah says literally in his German video:

"Das ist eine göttliche Begabung, mit der ich die ganzen Sprachen der Welt gelernt habe."

= That is a divine talent with which I have learned all the languages of the world.

Fasulye

djc463
Heptaglot
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5561 days ago

51 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Russian, Portuguese, German, Italian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 35 of 58
20 February 2011 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye, he says that in every one of his new videos (I didn't check every one exactly, but he did say it in 4
languages).

When I heard him say that I looked forward to coming back here and seeing the responses. In all honesty, people
should calm about him and other people that aren't 100% right in the head. Clearly there is some slight mental
issue. And earlier this year you all picked on a guy (Cesare) who has Autism, which is pretty low by my standards.

That being said, I do enjoy reading other people's reactions to these guys. They are to HTLAL what Kanye West is to
MTV :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5094 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 36 of 58
20 February 2011 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
djc463 wrote:

When I heard him say that I looked forward to coming back here and seeing the responses. In all honesty, people
should calm about him and other people that aren't 100% right in the head. Clearly there is some slight mental
issue. And earlier this year you all picked on a guy (Cesare) who has Autism, which is pretty low by my standards.

I pondered a bit on what you are saying here, and if I were Ziad, I am not so sure I would like to have you as my advocate.

A claim to have learned all the languages in the world in three years, and to have a Devine gift is certainly arrogant, and possibly not quite credible, but I would not be prepared to assert that a person has to have mental issues in order to say it. As someone said earlier, there is also a cultural issue here.

Since I am one of those who answered in detail to some of Cesare's posts, I will definitely not accept to be accused of picking on him. What I, and several others suggested, was that he focus a bit more on each language, while acknowledging that he did have a gift for learning parts of languages quickly. I do not think that equals picking on someone. If you have a condition, and you only relate to close family and friends, you can hope for unfailing support. If you throw yourself into the real world you must expect a reality check.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 20 February 2011 at 7:58pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

janababe
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5274 days ago

102 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German

Message 37 of 58
21 February 2011 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
   If you have a condition, and you only relate to close family and friends, you can hope for unfailing support. If you throw yourself into the real world you must expect a reality check.

Whoa!!! That's hard.

Do you apply that to people with a physical disability or just the mentally disabled? Would you say to a wheelchair user "sorry mate, you're in the real world now, you can't access the shops without walking. If you've got a condition you should stay out of sight of the public, with your family and friends nice and comfy at home. As for internet forums that's only for the normal folk".

Would you like that limit? Nope, I didn't think so.

My boyfriend's a doc and he works with people with mental disabilities. Some of those guys are cool. Makes you think a lot about it ;-)

Oh and yeah, that guy who says he can learn a language in an hour, or the other one who says he has divine talent and can speak 59 languages, it sure sounds delusional to me, doesn't mean we have the right to knock 'em or be rude. Respect.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Lucas
Pentaglot
Groupie
Switzerland
Joined 4927 days ago

85 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, German, Italian, Russian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 38 of 58
21 February 2011 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
Since when "recite a text in a language in front of a camera" means "speak this
language"?
For me those videos are an additional proof that he does not speak these languages.

I'm glad to be in China (a "youtube-free country ")... so I don't have to see this
certainly pathetic video!

According some of your comments, even his English is weird... and some people here are
still discussing the question "is this guy a real polyglot"!?!?!?

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5094 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 39 of 58
21 February 2011 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
janababe wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
   If you have a condition, and you only relate to close family and friends, you can hope for unfailing support. If you throw yourself into the real world you must expect a reality check.

Whoa!!! That's hard.

Do you apply that to people with a physical disability or just the mentally disabled? Would you say to a wheelchair user "sorry mate, you're in the real world now, you can't access the shops without walking. If you've got a condition you should stay out of sight of the public, with your family and friends nice and comfy at home. As for internet forums that's only for the normal folk".

Would you like that limit? Nope, I didn't think so.

My boyfriend's a doc and he works with people with mental disabilities. Some of those guys are cool. Makes you think a lot about it ;-)

Oh and yeah, that guy who says he can learn a language in an hour, or the other one who says he has divine talent and can speak 59 languages, it sure sounds delusional to me, doesn't mean we have the right to knock 'em or be rude. Respect.

I can't say I much appreciate being attributed opinions I do not have, but I'll try to go through this nice and slowly for you.

Having grown up next door to a home for physically disabled people, with whom I played daily, I have been to the disco, in the woods, and all sorts of places they did not normally go, and was very happy to be with them. If one of them had said, "I have just been able to roll up the hill on my own for the first time", I would have cheered for him. Had he said" And next week I will take on Mount Everest", I might have suggested that he set himself more realistic targets, at least for the near future. If you feel that is hard, well then you are entitled to your opinion.

As for mental conditions, I have enough life experience to know that most of us will at some point in our life struggle, and I have the same respect for those who struggle for a short period, due to a life crisis, as I have for those who struggle their whole life due to a permanent condition. I have also tried to be supportive to people who struggle on this forum, exactly for that reason. Feel free to look at some of my other posts.

What I was trying to point out, was that the internet, and for that matter youtube, are places with no mercy. It is not how I would like them to be, it is simply how they are. "If you can't take the heat, then get out of the kitchen."

Otherwise my main point, which evidently I did not explain clearly enough for you, was that I am not sure being called delusional, or mentally disabled is the most respectful way of treating other people. But hey, I am Norwegian. It may be different in Sweden.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 21 February 2011 at 11:16pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version