United States
Joined 5185 days ago

141 posts - 209 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, FrenchC2, SpanishC2
Studies: GermanB1

Message 49 of 58
23 February 2011 at 4:14am | IP Logged 
Wait... what?

I've seen the videos of Mr. Fazah on YouTube (including the recording from the "Viva el Lunes" show), and while I'm
tempted to agree that he's probably a little bit over in his head by claiming to speak 58/59 languages fluently when
he's demonstrated that he has a rudimentary knowledge of some of them at best, I wouldn't go so far as to call him
an alcoholic or mentally disabled. I just think he's a gifted person who unfortunately does not have a good grasp on
where he really is in terms of language ability.

P.S. I'm a native Mandarin speaker, and I could *barely* understand the video on his channel where he spoke in
Mandarin...
2 persons have voted this message useful

janababe
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5273 days ago

102 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German

Message 50 of 58
23 February 2011 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

And to be quite frank I did see Cesare not taking the heat. I agree with you that he was attacked quite severely, which is why I in a later thread asked "Are we being too hard on the pologlots". I did however also see him take positive criticism quite badly.

Yeah, he wasn't taking the harsh criticism well but the nobody would when attacked that way. If people had advised him calmly it might have been different. Again, Cesare openly said he was autistic. Can't we make some allowances, or does that go against how people here like to view this language learning business?

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
And no, I do not think it is disrespectful to call anyone anything, that they quite obviously are. I have respect for any sort of disability, but few of us like to be defined as something we are not.

What I am trying to get through, and obviously failing, is that I do not think it is more respectful to call someone insane than to call them arrogant.

Agree with the first comment, but where are we (or I) trying to define someone as something they're not?

Second comment, yeah, the 59 languages divine gift guy could be arrogant but in my books it sounds more delusional. Arrogance is more like something within normal limits, delusion is when it's out of all proportion or unreal. And yeah, I agree, it's more respectful to say arrogant than insane. But hey, I never said that about anyone.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Why do you keep trying to attribute to me negative attitudes that I do not have?

Didn't know I was. I think we agree on most of this actually.
1 person has voted this message useful

janababe
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5273 days ago

102 posts - 115 votes 

Message 51 of 58
23 February 2011 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
yawn wrote:
Wait... what?

I've seen the videos of Mr. Fazah on YouTube (including the recording from the "Viva el Lunes" show), and while I'm
tempted to agree that he's probably a little bit over in his head by claiming to speak 58/59 languages fluently when
he's demonstrated that he has a rudimentary knowledge of some of them at best, I wouldn't go so far as to call him
an alcoholic or mentally disabled. I just think he's a gifted person who unfortunately does not have a good grasp on
where he really is in terms of language ability.

P.S. I'm a native Mandarin speaker, and I could *barely* understand the video on his channel where he spoke in
Mandarin...

I don't think anyone is saying that guy is alcoholic or mentally disabled...

Cesare is mentally disabled with autism, the other guy who knows, but I sure don't think he's a "gifted person" although he certainly is in self-marketing! What makes you think he's gifted?

It comes down to where the line is between when you "don't have a good grasp" to "arrogant" or then "delusion".

Yawn, your opinion is extreeeemly politically correct ;)

janababe
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5273 days ago

102 posts - 115 votes 

Message 52 of 58
23 February 2011 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
Journeyer wrote:

Perhaps it would be better to just accept these incidences as part of life and move on accordingly and peacefully.

Yep, I agree. So accept that some folks are autistic or "don't grasp something" or whatever, and if you wanna criticise them at least do it with respect and calmly.

On this forum the people attack people like those guys in such a vicious way it's just not right.

Peace ;-)

portunhol
Triglot
United States
thelinguistblogger.w
Joined 6011 days ago

198 posts - 299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (classical)

Message 53 of 58
23 February 2011 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
janababe wrote:

On this forum the people attack people like those guys in such a vicious way it's just not right.

This is what I'm talking about! There is obviously nothing wrong with challenging Ziad's claims but there is sort of a negative "one-up-man's-ship" that is too present in these forums.

I think so and so might not be as good as he thinks he is.

Next person to comment
I think so and so isn't good at all.

One thread later
I am offended by so and so's existence and wish he were in jail.

No one thinks you are cool or more confident for saying the nastiest things.

Returning to the issue at hand, I for one hope that Ziad step's things up. I've been telling him to make videos and post them on youtube for years and he's finally done it. Hopefully he will start making longer videos in the languages he knows best and admit that, while he has studied certain languages, he is not fluent in them.
2 persons have voted this message useful

yawn
Bilingual Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5185 days ago

141 posts - 209 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, FrenchC2, SpanishC2
Studies: GermanB1

Message 54 of 58
23 February 2011 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
janababe wrote:

I don't think anyone is saying that guy is alcoholic or mentally disabled...

Oh, I merely skimmed over the previous page of comments and saw a few responses that mentioned alcoholism and mental disabilities, and (perhaps wrongly) assumed that they were referring to Mr. Fazah.

janababe wrote:
]Cesare is mentally disabled with autism, the other guy who knows, but I sure don't think he's a "gifted person" although he certainly is in self-marketing! What makes you think he's gifted?

It comes down to where the line is between when you "don't have a good grasp" to "arrogant" or then "delusion".

Yawn, your opinion is extreeeemly politically correct ;)

Well, just the fact that he's even attempted to learn 58/59 languages is something. I know many people who are struggling their hardest just to be able to say simple phrases in a second language (especially many of my Chinese and Taiwanese relatives)...

translator2
United States
Joined 6678 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 55 of 58
23 February 2011 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
It is probably just a cultural thing, but it is his odd body language and intonation patterns that strike me as extremely off-putting and make the videos totally unwatchable for me. I have never met anyone who speaks like that. Even when he speaks a language I do not fully understand (including his native language), the body language and speech reads to me like something isn't quite right. If not narcissism, Asperger's or other psychological disorder, there is clearly, at least for me, something wrong and I cannot get past that. However, kudos to him for being brave enough to post videos. I hope others will enjoy them.

Edited by translator2 on 23 February 2011 at 8:44pm

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version