Australia
Joined 5001 days ago

70 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 1 of 12
02 October 2010 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
Hi,

Just wondering what people think are the best methods for learning to basic fluency spoken Japanese?
Is it achievable in a few months, or is Japanese still difficult to learn spoken?

The methods I know of that appear to be good are Michel Thomas and Assimil (reading the Romanji). What are
the ones any of you found were the best? What order should I do them in and any techniques/resources for
starting that may help?

Thank you,

Divexo

PS: Sorry to make another thread about languages, but I absolutely adore Japan, and may be going there
sometime in the future to study on exchange. So I'd love to be able to get fluent at spoken and then once spoken
is mastered focus on getting written down, no need for this anytime soon though. I still want to learn Italian, but
Latin is my first priority and perhaps two romantic languages are too much to start with - Italian will come later.

Edited by divexo on 02 October 2010 at 4:20pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Chris
Heptaglot
Japan
Joined 6931 days ago

287 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Indonesian, French, Malay, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Korean, Mongolian

Message 2 of 12
02 October 2010 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
I don't know the Japanese MT, but of it's done by native speakers it could be a great asset. I'm not that big on Assimil either. But here are my Romaji recommendations:

(1) Hugo's 'Japanese In Three Months', formerly 'Japanese Simplified'

(2) Living Language Ultimate Japanese - two level course of you want it.

And...

Get yourself a copy of 'Real Life Japanese' by Unicom.

Get audio with all of these and study like there's no tomorrow!

Japan is wonderful! I hope you make it here soon. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Lexii
United States
Joined 5032 days ago

162 posts - 194 votes 
Studies: Japanese

Message 3 of 12
02 October 2010 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
I just purchased a 2-CD set called Listen & Learn Japanese and I love it! It is probably one of the most no-frills, bare-boned study-aids I own but I think it's going to do exactly what it sets out to do. That is, it will help me practice speaking Japanese.

Here's the format: Sentence, phrase or word spoken in English. Exact same sentence, phrase or word spoken in Japanese (slightly slower than normal speed). A little space for you to repeat.

That's it. No explanations, no introductions, no grammar instruction, nothing. Just listen and repeat (or shadow, if you can). There are over 50 tracks (examples: Social Conversation, Personal Matters, Making Yourself Understood, Hotel, Cafe, etc.) and none of them build on the others, so you can listen in any order that pleases you.

The set claims to contain 700 elements (sentences, phrases, words). It also includes a little booklet with all the elements written in English, Japanese (kanji and kana, handwritten font) and romaji. The book *does* contain a few pages of intro, including pronunciation help. I think the booklet will be helpful for cross-checking to make sure I heard properly.

At first, I was skeptical about not having any real "instruction" but once I realized what the goal was, it seemed brilliant. And, at $12USD, it was quite reasonable. Coupled with other texts to learn grammar and increase vocab, I think this is a valuable addition to my study collection. Perhaps it will help you, too!

Thuan
Triglot
GermanyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6740 days ago

133 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese, German*, English
Studies: French, Japanese, Romanian, Swedish, Mandarin

Message 4 of 12
02 October 2010 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
I began my Japanese studies with "Japanese for Busy People", which I can hardly recommend. I moved on to the "Genki"-Series, which are actually good books but lack in content (not enough texts for me to practice and half of the vocabulary you learn isn't even used in the texts!).

Thanks to this forum I made the decision to use the Assimil books. Within half a year I was able to hold a conversation in Japanese about various topics. It took me a few more years to reach a level where I could comfortably hold a conversation on most topics you could come across. I doubt that I would have reached this level without Assimil (I was seriously considering giving up Japanese altogether!).

If you like the FSI method, you should take a look at "Beginning Japanese" by Eleanor Harz Jorden. No kanji, no reading - the whole is focussed on teaching you to speak without having to think. "Japanese - The Spoken Language" seems to be based on the same material. I haven't used that one, so I can't if it's better or worse - or the same.

divexo
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5001 days ago

70 posts - 74 votes 

Message 5 of 12
03 October 2010 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
Thank you all! So many resources to choose now, not exactly sure which ones to use.. ><

May try and find some snippets from each of them to trial and then select my favourites when I'm ready to start in a
couple of months -exciting. Hopefully I will be studying Japanese next year at university, and then doing a huge
exchange in the future, Japan is awesome.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5191 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 6 of 12
04 October 2010 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
divexo wrote:
[...] when I'm ready to start in a
couple of months [...]

Why can't you start now? That's not a very encouraging comment, to be honest -- if you can't find the time to start now, you will inevitably find it hard to make time later.

Lexii
United States
Joined 5032 days ago

162 posts - 194 votes 
Studies: Japanese

Message 7 of 12
04 October 2010 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
divexo wrote:
[...] when I'm ready to start in a
couple of months [...]

Why can't you start now? That's not a very encouraging comment, to be honest -- if you can't find the time to start now, you will inevitably find it hard to make time later.

If Divexo is a high school senior, perhaps s/he has a full load right now just finishing up classes and doing all the things necessary to prepare for graduation and the eventual move to college (or university). There could be all sorts of reasons why s/he might not want to/be able to start right now. I can certainly understand wanting to wait until things calm down a bit, or until other projects get cleared/completed, before starting on a new adventure.

divexo
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5001 days ago

70 posts - 74 votes 

Message 8 of 12
04 October 2010 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
^ Yes to what Lexii said - I have my final examinations beginning in a month. They are extremely important and we
are expected to be studying quite a lot as well as attending school for the next few weeks.. So not really time to do
anything else..
But definitely starting at the end of year when I have time :)

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version