Triglot
United States
Joined 5195 days ago

11 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: French, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 25 of 58
14 March 2012 at 3:30am | IP Logged 
Garret - comes from Old French word 'garite', meaning "watchtower".

Satterthwaite - thwaite coming from the Old Norse word 'thveit', meaning a "clearing" or "piece of land"; Satter possibly being a variation of "setter", found pretty consistently in heaps of Indo-European languages.

So, Garret Satterthwaite = a tower in a field? Haha. It is curious, though, that my last name more or less means "land developer", being that I come from a ranching/business family.

Anyway, this is fascinating!
1 person has voted this message useful

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4531 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 26 of 58
14 March 2012 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
Vadim - a Russian given name of indeterminate etymology. Its earliest attestation is in the Primary Chronicle as the name of the Novgorod rebel leader who led an uprising against Prince Rurik and his Norsemen. In the era of Romantic nationalism he was used by the Slavophiles as a symbol of Russia's resistance to Western European influence. Possible etymologies include "ruler, posessor", "attractive, enticing", "accuser, slanderer, instigator of turmoil", or merely a contraction of "Vladimir".

Yevgenyevich - a patronymic derived from my father's name Yevgeny, the Russian variant of Eugene (from Greek εὐγενής - "noble", literally "well-born").

Dominov - according to our traditional family explanation it derives from the Russian "домна, доменная печь" or "blast furnace". Our ancestors lived in the Urals and worked in the Demidov iron mills for several generations, so it sounds somewhat likely, and their poor literacy probably explains the spelling mistake (if it were derived from "доменная" it should have been "Domenov").

There are two other plausible explanations. Many Russians who see my surname for the first time pronounce it with the wrong stress, Dominov, which makes it sound like a Russified Muslim Turkic name (for example, there is an artist in Saint Petersburg whose name is Rashid Dominov). Given the proximity of Tatarstan, Bashkortostan and Kazakhstan to our ancestral hometown in South Urals, Turkic descent isn't unlikely, Another theory is that the name is derived from the Latin "dominus". Aside from immigrants from Romance countries (who were unlikely to be found in a small town in the Urals) the group that was most likely to have Latin-derived surnames were seminary students (an oft cited example is the poet Nikolay Gumilev, whose seminary student ancestor adopted that name from the Latin "humilis"). My great-grandfather did study at a seminary before dropping out to join the Bolsheviks during the Russian Civil War. My pet theory is that he adopted the surname when he began studying at the seminary, but then came up with an alternative etymology in order to boost his proletarian cred, since in the early Soviet period there was a lot of affirmative action for people of "proletarian descent".

Edited by vonPeterhof on 14 March 2012 at 8:51am

Rosen93
Diglot
Denmark
Joined 4159 days ago

34 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 27 of 58
04 January 2013 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
This thread is a little old, but I think the subject is pretty cool, so I'll post a replay anyway.

I used to write stories as a child, and my favorite part was naming the characters. I used to visit websites with baby names in search of names with meanings that was suitable for each character's personality.

My first name is Louise which is of German/French origin. It’s the feminine version of the name Louis which means something like “famous warrior” or "famous in battle".
At school I go by my middle name, Rose, since we are four girls in my class with the first name, Louise. The meaning of Rose is pretty obvious, it's the flower.
My last name is Jensen which means “son of Jens”. It’s the most common surname in Denmark with almost 300.000 people having Jensen as their surname.

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4632 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 28 of 58
04 January 2013 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
First: Stian - From Norse: Stigandr - wanderer
Last: Aune - A "farm name" used by those who took over empty farms after the Black
Death.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think this is right. My middle name is "Fredrik" and I have no
idea what kind of meaning it bears...

sammymcgoff
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4122 days ago

40 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 29 of 58
06 January 2013 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
My first name Samantha, is the feminine version of Samuel, which is a biblical name. Louise is of French origin and is the feminine version of Louis. My surname is of Irish origin and means son of Goff

Duke100782
Bilingual Diglot
Philippines
https://talktagalog.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4247 days ago

172 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Tagalog*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 30 of 58
02 February 2013 at 7:26pm | IP Logged 
Duke came from Dux which in Latin was a top military leader.

abSeiter_
Diglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4241 days ago

19 posts - 25 votes
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak
Studies: French, English, German, Norwegian, Mandarin, Polish

Message 31 of 58
26 February 2013 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
Daniel - it comes from Hebrew, its meaning is ,,God is my Judge"

and

Němec -   simply the German =)

Romanzo
Diglot
United States
Joined 4063 days ago

15 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: Italian, English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, French

Message 32 of 58
26 February 2013 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
My name is Giovanni Antonio Gabriele

Giovanni is the same as the English John and comes from the Hebrew 'Yochanan'
which means God is Gracious.

Antonio comes from the Latin Antonius which is has unknown Etruscan origin.

Gabriele is from the Hebrew Gavriel which means 'God has given me strength'

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version