Names And Their Meanings

Language Learning Forum : Multilingual Lounge Post Reply
58 messages over 8 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 8 Next >>
Konanen
Heptaglot
GermanyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4044 days ago

11 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: German, Turkish*, English, French, Serbo-Croatian, Latin, Arabic (Egyptian)
Studies: Arabic (Gulf), Italian, Russian

Message 33 of 58
12 May 2013 at 8:43pm | IP Logged 
Selçuk, which is my first name, comes from (Proto-)Turkic and has alledgedly the meaning "eloquent", or "silver-tongued" or "golden-mouthed".
1 person has voted this message useful

cacue23
Triglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4084 days ago

89 posts - 122 votes 
Speaks: Shanghainese, Mandarin*, English
Studies: Cantonese

Message 34 of 58
16 September 2013 at 9:14am | IP Logged 
My surname is 高, meaning high or in high altitudes, and my given name is 凌, meaning icicles. So my name technically means icicles high up in the sky.

I also have an English name, Linda, which my Dad gave to me when I was 4 or 5. I heard that it means "beautiful" in some Romance languages. I'll try to live up to my name.

IlonaS
Bilingual Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3708 days ago

25 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: Russian*, Estonian*
Studies: Dutch, Norwegian, French, English

Message 35 of 58
03 March 2014 at 7:59am | IP Logged 
My second name is Eleonora.
Is this Nora in German and Norwegian?
And Elli in English?

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4920 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 36 of 58
11 March 2015 at 5:16am | IP Logged 
My name is Faizal Yunus Ibrahim. The middle and last name "Yunus Ibrahim" are taken from prophet's name, so they will be "Eunuch" and "Abraham". I don't know what's the English equivalent of "Faizal", though. Once I looked it up in a book about the meaning of Arabic names and found that "Faizal" means "the one who distinguishes good and evil".

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5105 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 37 of 58
11 March 2015 at 8:16am | IP Logged 
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
My name is Faizal Yunus Ibrahim. The middle and last name "Yunus Ibrahim" are taken from prophet's name, so they will be "Eunuch" and "Abraham".

You probably mixed up "Eunuch" with "Enoch." AFAIK, Yūnus/Yūnis (يونس) is the Arabic equivalent of Jonah.

Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
I don't know what's the English equivalent of "Faizal", though.

AFAIK, "Faizal" is the SE Asian pronounciation of the Arabic name Faiṣal (فيصل) = arbiter/judge.

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4920 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 38 of 58
11 March 2015 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
You probably mixed up "Eunuch" with "Enoch." AFAIK, Yūnus/Yūnis (يونس) is the Arabic equivalent of Jonah.

Oh, I thought the equivalent of Yunus (the one who got swallowed by a whale) was Eunuch, since they must have similar pronounciation.

Doitsujin wrote:
AFAIK, "Faizal" is the SE Asian pronounciation of the Arabic name Faiṣal (فيصل) = arbiter/judge.

The irony that I often think of myself as an anti-hero instead.

nikolic993
Diglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 3565 days ago

106 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, English
Studies: Italian, Mandarin, Romanian, Persian

Message 39 of 58
11 March 2015 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
My first name is Aleksandar,(English=Alexander):

Quote:
Latinized form of the Greek name Αλεξανδρος (Alexandros), which meant "defending men" from Greek αλεξω (alexo) "to defend, help" and ανηρ (aner) "man" (genitive ανδρος). In Greek mythology this was another name of the hero Paris, and it also belongs to several characters in the New Testament. However, the most famous bearer was Alexander the Great, King of Macedon. In the 4th century BC he built a huge empire out of Greece, Egypt, Persia, and parts of India. Due to his fame, and later medieval tales involving him, use of his name spread throughout Europe.

The name has been used by kings of Scotland, Poland and Yugoslavia, emperors of Russia, and eight popes. Other notable bearers include English poet Alexander Pope (1688-1744), American statesman Alexander Hamilton (1755-1804), Scottish-Canadian explorer Sir Alexander MacKenzie (1764-1820), Russian poet Alexander Pushkin (1799-1837), and Alexander Graham Bell (1847-1922), the Scottish-Canadian-American inventor of the telephone.

Last name: Nikolić
A last name speculated to have originated in the south of Serbia. Most people with this last name celebrate the "Sveti Aranđelovdan" slava.

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5105 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 40 of 58
11 March 2015 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
Oh, I thought the equivalent of Yunus (the one who got swallowed by a whale) was Eunuch, since they must have similar pronounciation.

Yūnus (AKA Dhū An-Nūn) is also mentioned in the Qur'ān as a prophet swallowed by a whale. However, a eunuch is a castrated male slave.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version