Ertan
Turkey
Joined 4996 days ago

15 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: Turkish*
Studies: English

Message 1 of 58
02 October 2010 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
In this topic we will write our name and it's English meaning.
we may find synonym of our names.

Let's start
my name is Ertan Andaç

Ertan;means dawn, daybreak
Andaç;means memento.

1 person has voted this message useful

Old Chemist
United Kingdom
Joined 4932 days ago

227 posts - 285 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 2 of 58
02 October 2010 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
Very poetic. My name comes from Anglo-Saxon, Old English, Henry Kemp and means "home-ruling warrior," which makes me sound a lot more fearsome and frightening than I actually am! It corresponds to the German words Heim (home), Reich (rule), and Kampf, a struggle (as in Mein Kampf!). The Kemp part, my family name, meant a champion and later a soldier.

Ertan
Turkey
Joined 4996 days ago

15 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: Turkish*
Studies: English

Message 3 of 58
03 October 2010 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
Old Chemist wrote:
Very poetic. My name comes from Anglo-Saxon, Old English, Henry Kemp and means "home-ruling warrior," which makes me sound a lot more fearsome and frightening than I actually am! It corresponds to the German words Heim (home), Reich (rule), and Kampf, a struggle (as in Mein Kampf!). The Kemp part, my family name, meant a champion and later a soldier.

Hail for the warrior:D
At first thank you for your reply.I have been interesting in personal names for a long time.Because I think they are the most important pieces of world's cultures.
For example names like yours show us the interaction between different societies.
And I hope that more people will support us to expand our knowledge about our own names.

Roloman4
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 4867 days ago

11 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish*
Studies: Portuguese, French

Message 4 of 58
30 November 2010 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
My name is Juan Anhalzer, and doesn't particularly mean anything, well, of course, Juan
has a biblical meaning, bu that's far too common.

getreallanguage
Diglot
Argentina
youtube.com/getreall
Joined 5230 days ago

240 posts - 371 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Italian, Dutch

Message 5 of 58
30 November 2010 at 3:03am | IP Logged 
My first name (Ignacio) is a Spanish name. It comes from the Latin name Ignatius, which in turn comes from the Latin adjective 'igneus', which means 'fiery'. In short, the name, at least in Latin, gave off the idea of a hot tempered individual. I don't know about that. I'm not particularly prone to anger, in fact I'm kind of easygoing. I am passionate, however, about certain things in life, like music, language and languages.

Edited by getreallanguage on 30 November 2010 at 3:04am

Roloman4
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 4867 days ago

11 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish*
Studies: Portuguese, French

Message 6 of 58
30 November 2010 at 3:05am | IP Logged 
Oye, getreal... y que tal con el Balompié, eres apasionado con eso?

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5326 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 7 of 58
01 December 2010 at 9:56am | IP Logged 
My name is Levi Tooker. Levi (לוי) is a character in the Old Testament. The origins of the name are uncertain:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levi#Origins
Quote:
The text of the Torah argues that the name of Levi refers to Leah's hope for Jacob to join with her, implying a derivation from yillaweh, meaning he will join, but Biblical scholars have proposed quite different origins of the name. Many scholars suspect that it simply means priest, either by being a loan word originating from the Minaean word lawi'u, meaning priest, or by referring to those people who were joined to the ark of the covenant. Some scholars believe that the Levites were not originally Israelite, instead originating as migrants, and consequently consider the name to refer to the Levites joining with either the Israelites in general, or the earlier Israelite priesthood in particular.

My last name, Tooker, is an old variant of Tucker, which derives from the verb tuck, 'to full cloth'.
Quote:
Middle English tuken, touken "to torment, stretch [cloth]" from Old English tūcian "to torment, vex" and Middle Dutch tucken "to tuck", both from Proto-Germanic *teuh-, *teug- (“to draw, pull”) from Proto-Indo-European *deuk- (“to pull”). Akin to Old High German zucchen "to snatch, tug", zuchôn "to jerk", Old English tēon "to draw, pull, train".
(http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/tuck)

Edited by Levi on 01 December 2010 at 10:01am

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5280 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 8 of 58
01 December 2010 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
Roloman4 wrote:
My name is Juan Anhalzer, and doesn't particularly mean anything, well, of course, Juan has a biblical meaning, bu that's far too common.

So Anhalzer is just a random collection of letters, with no inherent meaning? Are you sure that's how they came up with it?

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version