58 messages over 8 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 68 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4466 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 49 of 58
30 March 2015 at 5:33am | IP Logged 
To which variant of Greek? English phonology isn't really similar to either Greek
variant, but in terms of the consonants, the Greek system underwent a lot of changes (a
lot of fricatives appeared, and aspirated stops fell out of use), and the vowel system of
Greek has been much simplified over the years. The transliteration of a name into Greek
depends firstly on the accepted standard of Greek we are talking about (which should
probably be Modern, since Ancient Greek isn't effectively in use anymore, and there are
many constructed variants for pronunciation depending on dialect and era).

You're not talking about writing but about transliterating other names into English
according to Greek phonological rules. Greek (the language) is simply written with the
Greek alphabet which for the most part accurately represents its phonology, dialectical
variation notwithstanding.
1 person has voted this message useful

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4531 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 50 of 58
30 March 2015 at 7:21am | IP Logged 
Yeah, I should have probably made it more clear that my "Ancient Greek" transliteration was meant to be purely hypothetical. I think it's safe to say that aside from classicists having a bit of fun no one actually transliterates modern names into Greek using the Classical Attic, or any non-modern pronunciation scheme.

schmoo
United States
Joined 3310 days ago

13 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 51 of 58
22 April 2015 at 3:25am | IP Logged 
My name is Derek
Old German for Thiudoreiks
Thiuda meaing: (folk, people)
Reiks (ruler, leader, king)

schmoo
United States
Joined 3310 days ago

13 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 52 of 58
22 April 2015 at 3:30am | IP Logged 
IlonaS wrote:
My second name is Eleonora.
Is this Nora in German and Norwegian?
And Elli in English?

Here's a link that might help: http://www.babynamewizard.com/baby-
name/girl/eleanora. Your name has many variants. the origin is
Greek. Hopes this helps.   

Edited by schmoo on 22 April 2015 at 3:37am

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4894 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 53 of 58
05 June 2015 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
Thanks all for the informations about writing in Greek alphabets. Now I am curious about how to write my name (Faizal Yunus Ibrahim) in Hangeul or Cyrilic. For Hangeul, I can only write the "rahim" part and for Cyrilic, is it Фаижал Ьунуш Ибрахим? (Damn, that looks like "Qanxan Byhyw Ngpaxnm)

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Joined 4531 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 

Message 54 of 58
05 June 2015 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
Modern Russian Cyrilic - Файзал Юнус Ибрахим. Although that's only for Russian (and, I guess, Bulgarian and Kyrgyz), since some of the characters used here are pronounced differently or aren't used in other languages using Cyrillic. For example, for Belarusian and Ukrainian you need to replace и with і and х with г (Файзал Юнус Ібрагім), for Serbian and Macedonian - replace й with ј and ю with ју (Фајзал Јунус Ибрахим), while in Kazakh һ will fit better than х (Файзал Юнус Ибраһим), although there isn't anything particularly wrong with the latter either. And those are just the ones I'm more or less familiar with - I have no idea what would be correct in Tajik or Mongolian, not to mention the scores of smaller languages of the former Soviet Union.

As for hangul, I think it should be 파이잘 유누스 이브라힘.

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4894 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 55 of 58
06 June 2015 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
Isn't there any diphtong for "ai"? Also, why the "s" isn't under 누 and the "b" isn't under 이?

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Joined 4531 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 

Message 56 of 58
06 June 2015 at 10:32am | IP Logged 
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
Isn't there any diphtong for "ai"?

As a single character? No, there isn't. The character ㅐ (ae) is apparently derived from ㅏ (a) + ㅣ (i) and it corresponds to "ai" in pre-modern Chinese loanwords, but its actual (modern?) pronunciation is a single vowel, and in younger people's speech it's become indistinguishable from ㅔ (e).
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
Also, why the "s" isn't under 누 and the "b" isn't under 이?
Because at the end of a syllable ᄉ is pronounced [t̚] and ᄇ gets devoiced to [p̚]. In transliterations to Korean this problem is dealt with by adding an extra syllable with the vowel ㅡ (eu; [ ɯ ]).

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version