William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6062 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 9 of 20
03 October 2010 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
Dictionaries, if they mention swear words and so on at all, don't always give clear guidance to their use. It is probably a good idea to be able to recognise such words but to avoid using them.
1 person has voted this message useful

Old Chemist
United Kingdom
Joined 4963 days ago

227 posts - 285 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 10 of 20
03 October 2010 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
William Camden wrote:
Dictionaries, if they mention swear words and so on at all, don't always give clear guidance to their use. It is probably a good idea to be able to recognise such words but to avoid using them.

Absolutely. I have said elsewhere that I used various words I considered only rough slang - though swear words - and it got me into trouble. On a trivial point, I notice you speak Turkish. Is it true that "Erm," as pronounced in English as a hesitation has a rather personal meaning in Turkish?!

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6062 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 11 of 20
05 October 2010 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
Old Chemist wrote:
William Camden wrote:

Absolutely. I have said elsewhere that I used various words I considered only rough slang - though swear words - and it got me into trouble. On a trivial point, I notice you speak Turkish. Is it true that "Erm," as pronounced in English as a hesitation has a rather personal meaning in Turkish?!

Yes, that is an obscenity, though I have never heard it actually used by Turkish speakers. I think if you throw such words about, your prestige is likely to plummet.

In Midnight Express, Billy Hayes gives phonetically spelled versions of Turkish phrases he heard during five years of incarceration, some of them obscene. One he spells as omine koydum. Of course, Hayes was hanging out with mafiosi, as opposed to the Turkish Language Association.

vilas
Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 6750 days ago

531 posts - 722 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Italian*, English, French, Portuguese

Message 12 of 20
05 October 2010 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
In Italian when we say that somebody something is "Figa" or "Figo" if is masculine means somebody is nice , attractive, excellent and "figa" means pussy, c**t...
In UK "c**t" is somebody not very nice.

At the opposite everything that comes from "cazzo" (prick) is a bad thing or a bad person like "cazzata" or "cazzone" etc .
the only exception is "cazzuto" that means a strong willed man

getreallanguage
Diglot
Argentina
youtube.com/getreall
Joined 5261 days ago

240 posts - 371 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Italian, Dutch

Message 13 of 20
09 October 2010 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
Old Chemist wrote:
Can anyone tell me about the Spanish word "bendigo?" I have heard it in a lot of films - if I have spelt it correctly - but I have not been able to find out exactly what the English equivalent is.

You might have misheard 'bendito', which is the masculine for the adjective for 'blessed'. 'Bendito' is sometimes used in Spanish as an ironic, tongue-in-cheek or mild form of 'maldito' (damned), which is basically like using 'f*cking' as an adjective in English. For example, 'el bendito ingeniero ya me tiene harto' (roughly 'the good engineer is driving me up the wall'), where the real meaning of 'bendito' is exactly the opposite.

fireflies
Joined 4971 days ago

172 posts - 234 votes 

Message 14 of 20
12 October 2010 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
getreallanguage wrote:
Old Chemist wrote:
Can anyone tell me about the Spanish word "bendigo?" I have heard it in a lot of films - if I have spelt it correctly - but I have not been able to find out exactly what the English equivalent is.

You might have misheard 'bendito', which is the masculine for the adjective for 'blessed'. 'Bendito' is sometimes used in Spanish as an ironic, tongue-in-cheek or mild form of 'maldito' (damned), which is basically like using 'f*cking' as an adjective in English. For example, 'el bendito ingeniero ya me tiene harto' (roughly 'the good engineer is driving me up the wall'), where the real meaning of 'bendito' is exactly the opposite.

Pendejo sort of sounds like bendigo too but that seems less likely to be mistaken for bendigo.

Deji
Diglot
United States
Joined 5230 days ago

116 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Hindi, Bengali

Message 15 of 20
12 October 2010 at 5:55am | IP Logged 
In Hindi or Bengali DON'T call someone a "sala". Literally it means "brother-in-law". In common street use it is a lot
worse than "god-damned son of a bitch". Now how this got the meaning that it has--as a videshi, I leave it to a
deshi to explain-- or theorize about.

One of my favorites (basically because I like owls) is "Ullu ka bachha"--"son of an owl". That means a very
stupid person.

Interesting that we assume owls are wise and they assume they are stupid.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Old Chemist
United Kingdom
Joined 4963 days ago

227 posts - 285 votes 
Studies: German

Message 16 of 20
12 October 2010 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
Thanks for all your fascinating and informative posts! The remark about the Turkish obscenity comes from a BBC documentary where an English teacher caused howls of laughter everytime he hesitated using that sound. I thought, from what was said, it was a fairly inocuous word. The BBC obviously got it wrong.

Edited by Old Chemist on 12 October 2010 at 9:56am

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version