CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5097 days ago

215 posts - 252 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 1 of 5
04 October 2010 at 3:05am | IP Logged 
Hello,

I seem to have difficulty grasping how to analyse some sentences in Russian.

For what I understand, we use Normative case when we just give more information about the subject. It's like a complement.

The Accusative case is used:
1- when we specify a destination (i go to the market). Not to confond with the position of a object, the latter one is in the prepositional.
2- The subject is doing somethings (there is an action) on the object (a word or group of words that complement the subject).

Thank

PS:I will try to print out a Russian keyboard key sheet because right now, I can't really give exemple in Russian as it will take hours to right 4-5 sentences.   

1 person has voted this message useful

OlafP
Triglot
Germany
Joined 5230 days ago

261 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English

Message 2 of 5
04 October 2010 at 9:35am | IP Logged 
The first case is called nominative, because it comes from the Latin "casus nominativus" (case for names). The fourth case, accusative, is used for direct objects. Since your native language is French, you must know the difference between direct and indirect objects anyway, otherwise you cannot write it correctly. If you're dealing with an indirect object you use the third case, dative. Think of object pronouns in French: lui is for indirect objects, le and la are for direct objects.

Cases are triggered by prepositions or verbs, which is called government. (That is at least true for the dative and accusative cases we're dealing with here.) You need to learn which cases are required by every preposition and every verb. Some Russian prepositions can be followed by different cases, and they change their meaning that way.

The preposition в can be followed by the prepositional to indicate places or by the accusative to indicate directions. The preposition с can be followed by instrumental to indicate with what something is done or by the genitive to indicate from where.

As for the government of verbs, there are no reliable rules in any language. You just need to learn it by heart. If you have no clue and no chance to look it up, use the accusative, because that way you will get it right most often. Dictionaries usually show which case(s) a verb requires. Cases can look like a can of worms, but there are fixed rules and you only need to learn them. Aspects of verbs are a lot harder to grasp, because there the rules are comparatively vague.

Edited by OlafP on 04 October 2010 at 10:07am

6 persons have voted this message useful

grunts67
Diglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5097 days ago

215 posts - 252 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 3 of 5
05 October 2010 at 4:44am | IP Logged 
I think I understand the general idea.

We use the accusatif
1-if there is a preposition that change the meaning (ex: Ha, B)
2-if the group of word is a direct object of the verb.

For exemple: Я очень люблю смотреть фильмы.

фильмы = Accusatif plurial. Direct object of the verb люблю.

Still, a particular word, who's function is a verb, ectb (there is (il y a)) give me trouble. Each times I have encountered that verb, the words or groups
words following is put into Nominative instead of Accusative (even if the question who/what seem to find a direct object).

EX: Но у нас есть дискотека.

Hac = genetif because of y
дискотека = nominative because ?

My hypothesis about that particular verb is that the object isn't definite but indefinite. For exemple, instead of the phone (that particular one (definite)), the use of ectb imnplicate a phone (unspecific). In French we would use Le téléphone vs un téléphone (article dfini vs indéfini). Those my explanation seem right ?

Thank you

gdoyle1990
Groupie
United States
Joined 5415 days ago

52 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Estonian

Message 4 of 5
05 October 2010 at 6:07am | IP Logged 
The reason that nouns are in the nominative case after "У кого-то есть" is because this phrase translates to "By someone there is". This construction requires the nominative because the what comes after "есть" is actually the subject of the sentence.
    Example: У меня "есть" кошка. I have a cat (Literally: There is a cat by me) *Есть is optional, but I tend to include it.*
    "Но у нас есть дискотека." Just as in my example, "дискотека" is in the nominative because it is the subject of the sentence in Russian.

Russian does have a verb which means "to have", *Иметь*, but it is usually reserved for abstract ideas or emotions. The "By someone there is" construction is more commonly used for corporeal nouns.

If the "By someone there is" phrase were to be negated (e.g., У кого-то нет.) then the word following "нет" would be in the genitive case, but the reasons for that are strange and confusing.

Good Luck
2 persons have voted this message useful

translator2
United States
Joined 6714 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 5 of 5
05 October 2010 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
Honest wrote:
I have difficulty in distinguishing between these verbs: invoke, evoke, provoke.

For example, I usually write sentences like: This book invokes my interest to do a research about....

Do you think these verbs are synonyms; if not, can you please write each in a short, straightforward sentence to show their meanings? I truly appreciate any help.

Click Here for Answers

Edited by translator2 on 05 October 2010 at 6:38pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version