18 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5109 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 9 of 18
17 October 2010 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
Kounotori wrote:

I think they take it for granted that you are going to listen to the dialogues again to try to see if you understand them. At least that's what common sense would dictate.

I agree. Someone who thinks he can learn a language by reading the book once and never ever looking or leafing back must be quite a remarkable genius, or think he is ...
(But some hint in the introduction - for learners without experience - would not hurt.)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5376 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 10 of 18
17 October 2010 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
I personally find the old yellow and blue TY books very useful, if, albeit less interesting, than the modern ones - the constructions in the old books may be artificial but the new ones are equally artificial and have an annoying habit of being 'relevant' and superficial. Its like the authors are told they have to cover a certain set of topics and to do so at break neck speed, and once only.

I should say, however, that I never use the old TY books until I already have a grasp of the language from more friendly sources such as MT, Hugo, the 1970s Linguaphone series, LL and Assimil (normally in that order). I find that the emphasis in the old TY books on grammar and thinking through the grammatical rules to create a sentence (i.e. the apparently outmoded grammar translation method) is an invaluable tool in helping me internalise the language once I have already obtained a basic grasp of it.

Edited by Elexi on 17 October 2010 at 1:12pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5822 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 11 of 18
17 October 2010 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
lingoleng wrote:
I agree. Someone who thinks he can learn a language by reading the book once and never ever looking or leafing back must be quite a remarkable genius, or think he is ...
(But some hint in the introduction - for learners without experience - would not hurt.)

I think most people will go back, but it should be part of the method. When, what, where, how often? These are important enough questions that TY's failure to provide instruction doesn't deserve to be bracketed off at the end of your post....

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5109 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 12 of 18
17 October 2010 at 2:53pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
[QUOTE=lingoleng] When, what, where, how often?

Whenever needed, everything, everywhere, as often as needed.
If they write: "Repeat every dialog three times!", there will be people who are just beginning to understand some words and have no clue yet.
If they write: "Repeat every dialog 30 times!", there will be people who know everything by heart (what won't hurt) and are terribly bored by the method (what could hurt).

1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5822 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 13 of 18
18 October 2010 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
lingoleng wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
[QUOTE=lingoleng] When, what, where, how often?

Whenever needed, everything, everywhere, as often as needed.
If they write: "Repeat every dialog three times!", there will be people who are just beginning to understand some words and have no clue yet.
If they write: "Repeat every dialog 30 times!", there will be people who know everything by heart (what won't hurt) and are terribly bored by the method (what could hurt).

Then they should write instructions that work.

If they don't know how their course works, how is someone off the street supposed to?

Old Chemist
United Kingdom
Joined 4984 days ago

227 posts - 285 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 14 of 18
18 October 2010 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:

Then they should write instructions that work.

If they don't know how their course works, how is someone off the street supposed to?

I agree with you. But if you have ever found a course that works for you exactly as they say it does, according to the instructions they have given I would be really grateful! I have never found a course which I have used in the way they advise. Michel Thomas, for example, perplexes me - I understood it and thought it was a clever method but I had to go through it again and again to get it in my head.

As for going over books repeatedly, I think there is no shame in that - the Arab genius of the Middle Ages, Avicenna, was supposed to have read favourite books many times so that he knew them by heart.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Afgjasmine16
Triglot
United States
Joined 5817 days ago

29 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: Pashto*, English, Hindi
Studies: Bengali, Tamil, Indonesian, Turkish

Message 15 of 18
21 October 2010 at 2:28am | IP Logged 
I have used Teach Yourself and I find that works very very well. But mostly because most of my languages have nothing else avaible. My main example is Bengali. However, I have no tried any of the more common languages. Except Arabic Teach Yourself was absoutle crap, so was Persian. However I found that Hindi,Turkish, Bengali, Nepali,Urdu and Panjabi all to be very very good. I find this course works if used the right way. I use it like a college textbook, go threw and take notes. I make a practice test and then go over it again. The best way that wored for me is using teach Yourself with Rosetta Stone. I have learnt Hindi this way. My method is too do a Chapter a day (or a couple days-depending). I write down the dialouge, take notes on the grammar and write down vocabulary. Then I use Rosetta Stone as a review. Rosetta Stone teaches you phareses that most people would not find usefull, so most of them don't appear in TY. But when doing rosetta Stone after doing TY it does give good head way into tenses and other things that come up in TY in later chapters. Sowhile you have the "hello's" and "how are yous?" you are begging to get the less needed stuff from RS. However I can not use this method for Bengali or Panjabi. I only use it for Turkish now. Turkish TY is absoutly amazing! I had immediate results with that course. However I would not recomend for Arabic and Persian. These two versions are very bad. OTher then that I love TY and will continue to use it. I really wish there was a TY Tamil though :D I want that soo bad!

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5371 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 16 of 18
29 November 2010 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
Slightly old thread, but I saw your link on another thread, so came to have a look at it. Funnily enough, I had also completely disregarded TY some time ago, until I decided to have another look after reading about Moses McCormick.

I think though that MM is a simply good language learner, and basically could use any language source for his studies. I need something that helps me along a bit, and especially somrething with more interesting dialogues. I have found them a bit more interesting this time around though.

To me they look like they would be quite interesting to read through and learn a bit "about" the language, but not to actually learn the language.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version