45 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 3 4 5
NeedArabicHelp
NewbieRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5966 days ago

11 posts - 5 votes
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 41 of 45
28 March 2008 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for taking your time and putting the msa online, I plan to use it. Thanks (:
1 person has voted this message useful

Woodpecker
Triglot
United States
Joined 5622 days ago

351 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 42 of 45
18 April 2009 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
I hate to resurrect an ancient thread, but I'd really like to know if anyone ever received the files Braveb digitized. They've never been posted to either FSI language course website. I sent a message to Malcolm a month ago asking him if he still had the files, but he hasn't replied yet.
2 persons have voted this message useful

JasonBourne
Groupie
United States
Joined 5563 days ago

65 posts - 111 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Arabic (Written), Turkish

Message 43 of 45
09 August 2009 at 5:54am | IP Logged 
Also, interested in the modern written arabic tapes or MP3s!!! Someone help
1 person has voted this message useful

portunhol
Triglot
United States
thelinguistblogger.w
Joined 6063 days ago

198 posts - 299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (classical)

Message 44 of 45
17 April 2012 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
I know it seems strange to resurrect this thread after several years but I would really appreciate some help. I have LOVED these FSI courses. The German course helped me to get past a plateau I had hit in German. The Russian course's attention to word-stress can't be found anywhere else. Right now I am using the Mandarin course and it is really helping me a lot with connecting the tones in a natural way.

My plea is that whoever has access to the old Egyptian Arabic course and tapes: PLEASE put them up on the web. I can't find ANY good resources out there to learn the Egyptian dialect at home. The Saudi course book looks great. The problem is I have no desire to learn the Saudi dialect whatsoever. I would really appreciate any information anyone has about the FSI Egyptian Arabic course.
2 persons have voted this message useful

daristani
United States
Joined 6955 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 45 of 45
17 April 2012 at 2:00pm | IP Logged 
portunhol, I'm not aware that FSI ever produced an actual Egyptian Arabic course. I think the "Levantine and Egyptian Comparative Study" they produced was just the book.

But have you looked at the DLI Egyptian Arabic course?:

http://jlu.wbtrain.com/sumtotal/language/DLI%20basic%20cours es/Egyptian%20Arabic/

I haven't used it, and it seems to assume at least some familiarity with standard Arabic, but since your profile lists you as studying standard Arabic, I suspect you have sufficient background and thus might find it pretty useful. And given the volume of text, audio, and drills it provides, if you do find it a good fit for you, it could keep you busy for a while...

You might also download this short book:

http://www.danielpipes.org/books/an-arabists-guide-to-egypti an-colloquial.pdf

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 45 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version