leosmith
United States
Joined 6336 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 9 of 48
10 October 2010 at 3:55am | IP Logged 
The Thai อื and the Mandarin x both gave me trouble. I overcame both of them with practice. I learned a lesson with
the อื just to let go and allow myself to make noises that sound silly and illogical to me, like cartoon noises I used to
make when I was a kid. Very quickly I'll be producing that difficult sound, and then it's just a matter of practice.
2 persons have voted this message useful

thephantomgoat
Groupie
United States
Joined 5257 days ago

52 posts - 103 votes 

Message 10 of 48
11 October 2010 at 2:22am | IP Logged 
To date, Vietnamese is the hardest language to speak of any I've studied. Six tones.
Distinguishing t (voiceless) from th (aspirated) in listening and in pronunciation.
Pronouncing ng/ngh (same sound, just spelled differently depending on the vowel that
follows) at the beginning of a word. And the VOWELS. Single vowels, diphthongs,
triphthongs, long vowels, short vowels, vowels with horns and vowels with circumflexes: ư,
ơ, â, ê, ô, to start. It's a beautiful language, but producing anything close to a native
speaker's speech is...well, quite the challenge for the adult learner, to put it mildly.
6 persons have voted this message useful

thephantomgoat
Groupie
United States
Joined 5257 days ago

52 posts - 103 votes 

Message 11 of 48
11 October 2010 at 4:53am | IP Logged 
Oops, forgot the answer the latter part(s) of the question...yes, the difficulty I've
had in speaking Vietnamese has hindered my progress. I can produce a semblance of
decent speech when reading out loud, but it's much harder for me to improv (i.e. to
hold an actual conversation). Even when I think I've got a good rhythm going, the
heritage speakers among my friends have commented on the robotic quality of my speech,
the greatly exaggerated tones and long pauses between words.

For the time being, I've discontinued my study of Vietnamese, choosing instead to focus
my energies on Mandarin. I'll return to Viet at some point; just not sure when.

As for whether a language's phonology has ever discouraged me from learning it...the
consonants in Hindi and in Arabic seem formidable, but if I decide to learn either or
both, a matter of consonants won't be what stops me. :D

And I second Lindsay19's response about the ch sound in German. I had no idea there
were *two* of them (ich-Laut and ach-Laut) until I took a German linguistics course.
Blew my mind to find out I'd been saying them wrong these past few years.
1 person has voted this message useful

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5772 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 12 of 48
11 October 2010 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
Ya, I thought the German ch was easy until I learned there were two. I'd been saying the "ich" sound for "ach" in all cases, apparently. I've been told that one of my "e" sounds in German is off too, but I find it hard to perceive and produce the difference.

In Punjabi, the difference between all the similar consonants (especially the different Rs) is hard for me to perceive, although when I read the description I'm able to produce them. I can do the retroflex flap R, but when I hear it, there's another one that I have trouble differentiating it from. Aspiration is difficult for me to perceive in a number of languages, including Punjabi.

I guess the number one difficulty in German used to be the R as well. That back-of-the-throat R from German and French took me weeks and weeks of practice to be able to do half-ass, and it still throws me off sometimes when it's combined with certain other consonants. The front-of-the-tongue trilling R from Bulgarian and Spanish was much easier to master, although it still took me a lot of practice.

Strangely, I found mandarin quite easy to pronounce (both tones and consonants), although I noticed that my classmates didn't. Maybe it was the extra listening I did, who knows.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5797 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 13 of 48
11 October 2010 at 12:41pm | IP Logged 
doviende wrote:
Ya, I thought the German ch was easy until I learned there were two. I'd been saying the "ich" sound for "ach" in all cases, apparently.

But that's a non-phonemic difference, so you'll be understood and you'll understand other people. It's only when two phonemes "fall together" in your speech that you start to have problems.

Scratch
Groupie
United States
Joined 5021 days ago

45 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 14 of 48
11 October 2010 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
feanarosurion wrote:
The Finnish "Y" and "Ö" both gave me a fair bit of trouble in the beginning. They're both sounds that are actually present in English now that I have thought about it, but it took me a while to train myself to say those sounds properly. Also, saying the "k, p, and t" without aspiration still gives me a lot of trouble. K and T aren't so bad for me anymore, but I still usually mess up the P.

Yeah, I've been sometimes browsing the material I've assembled to begin studying Finnish next year and I've been amazed by that. I'm so used to aspirating k, p, and t that it feels absolutely weird to say them without aspiration. That's got a big giveaway for accent, because it's probably always creeping in for native English speakers learning to speak Finnish. And especially P, English aspirates that strongly -- that's why we have the word puff, I bet.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6368 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 15 of 48
11 October 2010 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
Cantonese is tripping me up by not differentiating between sounds I'm used to differentiate between, namely dz-dj and ts-tch. They occur in complimentary distribution and I always hesitate on which one to use when speaking.

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5353 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 16 of 48
11 October 2010 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
Scratch wrote:
Yeah, I've been sometimes browsing the material I've assembled to begin studying Finnish next year and I've been amazed by that. I'm so used to aspirating k, p, and t that it feels absolutely weird to say them without aspiration. That's got a big giveaway for accent, because it's probably always creeping in for native English speakers learning to speak Finnish. And especially P, English aspirates that strongly -- that's why we have the word puff, I bet.

Just so you know, p/t/k are also (usually) unaspirated in French (I often hear some aspiration before "i" and "u").

Edited by Levi on 11 October 2010 at 5:16pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 48 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version