Joined 5628 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 25 of 48
12 October 2010 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
This is certainly the Danish soft "d" and and the glottal stop in Danish. What is also difficult to proncounce for me is the E-uropo, E-uropa diphtong in Esperanto and Italian, because Germans speak "eu" as one single phoneme.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 12 October 2010 at 7:41pm

1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5705 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 26 of 48
12 October 2010 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
I have had struggles with the "tr" consonant cluster in English, the hard "g" in Afrikaans and Dutch, the Swedish "sj", though I hope I am getting better at pronouncing these sounds. I occasionally mispronounce Spanish vowels by making them into diphthongs even though I know better.

I can't consistently pronounce the "r" sound in French and yes this is a major reason I am not learning French.
feanarosurion wrote:
The Finnish "Y" and "Ö" both gave me a fair bit of trouble in the beginning. They're both sounds that are actually present in English now that I have thought about it, but it took me a while to train myself to say those sounds properly. Also, saying the "k, p, and t" without aspiration still gives me a lot of trouble. K and T aren't so bad for me anymore, but I still usually mess up the P.
I can pronounce "y" or "ö" separately but when I encounter them together such as in the words "yö"(night) or "löyly"(I think it means steam from a sauna) I sometimes mix the sounds up. I have troubles with k/p/t as well, especially "k" which I aspirate most of the time.

Edited by mick33 on 12 October 2010 at 10:12pm

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5547 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 27 of 48
12 October 2010 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
doviende wrote:
Ya, I thought the German ch was easy until I learned there were two. I'd been saying the "ich" sound for "ach" in all cases, apparently.

But that's a non-phonemic difference, so you'll be understood and you'll understand other people. It's only when two phonemes "fall together" in your speech that you start to have problems.

Using [x] for [ç] works (it's that way in some dialects) but the other way around, no.

Korean tense consonants. They clean my sinuses in unexpected ways.
I haven't given up, but accepted proceeding only at snail pace.
Oh, and I have this wild dream that tells me once I'm comfortable in all of my current language I'll pick up one with an even more alien phonology.
2 persons have voted this message useful

John Smith
Bilingual Triglot
Australia
Joined 5823 days ago

396 posts - 542 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech*, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 28 of 48
14 October 2010 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
doviende wrote:
   I've been told that one of my "e" sounds in German is off too, but I find it hard to perceive and produce the difference.

If it's the e in the word nehmen then the sound you want is a mix of i: and e:

sounds like the e in der and the i in dir being pronounced at the same time.

Préposition
Diglot
France
aspectualpairs.wordp
Joined 4895 days ago

186 posts - 283 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC1
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 29 of 48
02 December 2010 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
The Arabic saad ص and daad ض really do my head in. The rest of the sounds are alright, although I sometimes get lazy on the haa ح and the Taa ط. The Russian sound Ы was slightly strange at first, but like Х, it's alright now.

nebojats
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4977 days ago

89 posts - 120 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Thai
Studies: French, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Italian

Message 30 of 48
13 December 2010 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
Thai has two b sounds:

บ and ป

The first sounds pretty much like "b" in "bear." The second sounds like the noise you make when releasing the second "p" in "apple." Similar to "b," but more explosive... kind of like a cross between "b" and "p."

ด and ต

The same situation, only with a "d" sound. The second letter is a more explosive "d" sound that's sort of a cross between "d" and "t."

Difficult to master the sounds in isolation, although manageable with practice. Once the ability to pronounce is achieved, it's not too difficult with concentration. But being able to separate the two sounds consistently while speaking or reading though... cripes! I have almost smacked my language instructor so many times because I swear to God I'm saying the sentence correctly. She repeats the sentence back correctly, it sounds identical to what I just said, I try again, and she shakes her head... the frustration!

Edited by nebojats on 13 December 2010 at 2:22pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5705 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 31 of 48
15 December 2010 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
In the last month I have discovered a few more troublesome phonemes, and all of them come from Polish. My tongue, and vocal chords, cannot currently pronounce cz, dż, rz, sz, and ż as different sounds, even though they clearly are different sounds. I like listening to spoken Polish, so hopefully I will eventually work out how to pronounce these sounds.

Edited by mick33 on 16 December 2010 at 2:26am

slhdn
Diglot
Turkey
Joined 5512 days ago

20 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: Turkish*, English
Studies: French, Arabic (classical)

Message 32 of 48
15 December 2010 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
Georgian ejective consonants. Especially /q'/.

This discussion contains 48 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version