1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 41 of 48
01 March 2012 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
Zireael wrote:
mick33 wrote:
In the last month I have discovered a few more troublesome phonemes, and all of them come from Polish. My tongue, and vocal chords, cannot currently pronounce cz, dż, rz, sz, and ż as different sounds, even though they clearly are different sounds. I like listening to spoken Polish, so hopefully I will eventually work out how to pronounce these sounds.

Actually, rz and ż represent the same sound. Unless you meant ź.
You're right, I did mean ź.
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4838 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 42 of 48
01 March 2012 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
Patchy wrote:
Tenerife, Spain.

The Russian ы was and still is a bit of a struggle for me, in that I'm never completely
sure that I'm saying it right each time, although it's not a big deal to comprehension.

The good thing about all the difficult phonemes discussed here is that at least the
learners are aware of them.
If only this were true of Irish Gaelic, in which at least 90% of the learners are never
informed or never find out about a bunch of "difficult" consonant sounds, so that any
revival in the language is actually not really a revival at all in that many of the key
consonantal phonemes are not being learned, while the learners (being nearly all native
speakers of English) assume that the actual distinguishing features are in the
adjoining vowels.
An example:
The distinguishing phonetic feature between 'gabhar' ('goat') and 'gabhair' ('goats')
is only in which type of R is used, there being two completely different R-phonemes in
the language.
The adjoining written vowels are simply markers for this consonant change, but
learners; being unaware of this; try to differentiate in the vowel sounds, which is not
really possible as they lie (or should lie) in an unstressed and therefore neutral
(schwa) position.
The same goes with the two sounds represented by the letters L, M, N, B, C, D, F, G, P,
and T.
Most learners and self-proclaimed speakers do not pronounce both the velarised and
palatised ('broad' and 'narrow') phonemes of each of most of these dual-value letters.
Some of these sounds are quite a challenge to learners, but are actually even more
important to pronunciation distinctions than the very similar 'dark' and 'light'
duality of most Russian consonants.
But at least the learners of Russian are aware of them, and so can put in the time and
effort to get it right.
For some mysterious reason most learners and "teachers" of Gaelic seem unaware of their
existence.
Therefore, I reckon that for many people some of these sounds; for example the broad
Gaelic L; are doubly difficult.
Does the same situation of difficulty combined with ignorance happen with the learning
of any other minority languages out there?

'Just a thought,
Patchy.

Where are you from? From Ireland? I had the same impression and it shocked me. Wrong
pronunciation makes their speech ungrammatical.

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6441 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 43 of 48
03 March 2012 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
slhdn wrote:
Georgian ejective consonants. Especially /q'/.

Though I don't learn Georgian I find ejective consonants kind of hard to make. They either sound like I try to hard
and am I about to trow up, or not at all. my /k'/ sounds like /q/ and my /t'/ ends up like a retroflex for some
reason.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4626 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 44 of 48
22 April 2012 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
I have a list of favourite sounds in different languages:

Czech:
the famous and dreaded ř.

Polish:
ć, ś, ź as opposed to cz, sz, and ż.

Swedish:
the sje-sound [ɧ], though I mastered this one after some practice (I think...)

Icelandic:
voiceless l, m, n, and r, and especially ll, which is pronounced [tl̥] with a voiceless plosive sound - really took some practice to get that right. O yes, nearly forgot pre-aspiration of consonant clusters! Combine these two and you get words like 'vatn' ('water'), which is pronounced [vaʰtn̥] - with a voiceless 'n' at the end. I'm still not sure if I'm doing it right...

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4773 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 45 of 48
22 April 2012 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
I don't have trouble pronouncing háčeks, but I do have trouble trying to generate the click consonants of Xhosa!

LaughingChimp
Czech Republic
Joined 4481 days ago

346 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: Czech*

Message 46 of 48
22 April 2012 at 11:49pm | IP Logged 
Definitely /ŋ/, especially between vowels.

Majka wrote:
As already mentioned here - the Czech ř.

I am native speaker and despite 3 different speech therapists (at preschool, at primary school and before starting university) couldn't master it 100%. I got very close but in some words one can still hear the difference.

Which one are you trying to learn? The trilled one or the fricative one? AFAIK therapists usually try to teach you the trilled one even though it's not how most people pronounce it today and it's more difficult than the untrilled one.

Sebed
United Kingdom
Joined 4521 days ago

12 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Korean, Esperanto

Message 47 of 48
03 May 2012 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
The first foreign language I tried to self-teach was Russian when I was 12 or so. I gave up when I realised that I wasn't trilling the front of my tongue, I'd just adapted the French r sound (which I've always managed without a problem) to make it more 'trilly'. Even now, I can't roll my r's, and it's stopped me from seriously considering studying Swedish as a result.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4912 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 48 of 48
03 May 2012 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
slhdn wrote:
Georgian ejective consonants. Especially /q'/.

That's been that hardest I've come up against too ("ყ"). It's difficult for me to produce without sounding like I'm stuttering.

R.
==

This discussion contains 48 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version