Language Learning Forum : Cultural Experiences in Foreign Languages Post Reply
34 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Next >>
maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5028 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 1 of 34
22 October 2010 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
I realise that not all parts of the world celebrate the same 'Christmas' as we do in the UK but most celebrate something once per year, so please use your own local/cultural celebration to list what language related materials you would request from 'Santa' - I would also find it interesting if you could summarise the background to the festivities, dates etc.

I understand that in Spain the 25th December is a religious festival and gifts are given on the 6th January. How does it work where you are?

I have asked 'Santa' for a Persian language course, as everything else is coming along nicely, thank you.

I was prompted to ask the question as the local shops have distressingly just started stocking up with seasonal 'stuff' and we are a long way from that day.
1 person has voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5016 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 34
22 October 2010 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
I'm still considering a Kindle or similar device, after reading the discussion about it on here. It would certainly get me reading more.

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5843 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 3 of 34
22 October 2010 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
I will ask Santa for an anatomically correct plaster skull (preferably human, not elven).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5656 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 34
22 October 2010 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
In Germany Christmas presents are given on 24th of December, this day is called "Heiligabend" (= Holy Evening).

I will probably receive some money for Christmas and with this I will like to buy the next textbook "Günaydin" Book 2 (I am now learning with "Günaydin" Book 1) together with the answer key.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 22 October 2010 at 5:51pm

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6391 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 5 of 34
22 October 2010 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
maydayayday wrote:
I realise that not all parts of the world celebrate the same 'Christmas' as we do in the UK but most celebrate something once per year, so please use your own local/cultural celebration to list what language related materials you would request from 'Santa' - I would also find it interesting if you could summarise the background to the festivities, dates etc.

No gift-giving holiday in China, I think. On holidays where gifts would be given in the West (weddings, Spring Festival) people give each other money instead.

I can't think of much materials I'd want for language learning. The Internet has pretty much all I need. But the collected works of Stephen Chow would certainly be welcome and also useful for my Cantonese.

budonoseito
Pro Member
United States
budobeyondtechnRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5614 days ago

261 posts - 344 votes 
Studies: French, Japanese
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 34
22 October 2010 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
My birthday is also in December. That makes it even harder for my family. I either want a
book or expensive gadget or sports equipment. I always end up with a book or Amazon gift
card.

I have been thinking about the kindle and also a netbook. The netbook would offer more
options and versatility. I am hoping to get a new laptop through work and then that would
take care of that need. :)

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6512 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 34
22 October 2010 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
Maybe no Christmas this year? That would be a nice present.
3 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6718 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 34
23 October 2010 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
It's not on my wish list, but language learning would be a lot easier if I had even just a 1/10 of Luca's/Torbyrne's/[other polyglot's] skill/aptitude/talent. :)

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version