Joined 5046 days ago

45 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 17 of 18
14 December 2010 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
magister wrote:
Scratch wrote:
Je suis un diabétique depuis vingt-cinq ans. Les fins de mes doigts sont souvent pénibles.

Je suis diabétique de type 2 depuis seulement quatre mois. :-( Bien qu'elle soit une maladie génétique dans ma famille, c'était un vrai choc pour moi quand même.

Bon courage avec le français.

Oui, c'est un grand choc pour quelqu'un. On ne regarde jamais á la nourriture la même voie.

So lesson 100 in Assimil New French saw a couple of changes. The prior lessons all had very close or near literal translations of the French dialogues into English. But the last 2 weeks of lessons will not be so word-for-word, more like the translations you would see made by people who know both languages well and understand how languages aren't simply word-for-word translations of each other. Still, that means I will have a much more serious active phase translation challenge ahead of me in 7 weeks if I stay on schedule. There are also now going to be fewer pronunciation aids, the book says I should know enough now to do okay on my own, especially if I listen carefully to the audio.

I think I've already got a fairly good grasp on how to pronounce words based upon the spelling, but have to be mindful of how there are many ways in which the French will squish words together. I sometimes think the ultimate end purpose of French is to see if language can be squished down into as few of syllables as possible. You can observe it a lot. Je ne often squishes down to je'n. I noticed in Pimsleur that with saying time like cinq heures et demi, it often comes out like cinq heures et'd-mi. Or I remember when I was working some on Spanish, just as comparison to another Romance language, the Spanish word for to drink is beber, in French it's boire. I suspect that resulted from that middle consonant sound disappearing in the French.

I wonder how and why that all got started.
1 person has voted this message useful

Scratch
Groupie
United States
Joined 5046 days ago

45 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 18 of 18
22 December 2010 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
In Assimil, I've gone to alternating listening to a lesson passively one day and the next doing the active lesson. The last 2 weeks of passive listening has much longer lessons and what feels like more stuff to absorb.

I polished off Pimsleur French 3 lesson 12 this morning. I'm happy to note that with speech production, I instinctively elide now with il, elle, and on when they follow est-ce que. And I'm becoming more comfortable and instinctive with the position of direct and indirect object pronouns -- they're making sense without so much the sensation that I have to reconstruct them into English word order.

Just have to keep plugging away. I hope to get a good enough grasp on everything that next year I will order Le Finnois sans peine and use it to begin studying the language of my ancestors.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version