Tags: India | Urdu | Alphabets | Hindi
 Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5007 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 1 of 6
26 October 2010 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
I am hoping there are a few Hindi speakers out there. One of my winter projects is to improve my Hindi/Urdu as at the moment I have basic spoken Hindi/Urdu (A1.5 -ish level). I can read Arabic abjad so I thought that I ought to learn the negari script.

So.... If there are any members who have learned the nagari script I would like some pointers to a successful approach - pretty please!

1 person has voted this message useful

Gigantic
United States
Joined 5262 days ago

1 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Sanskrit, French

Message 2 of 6
29 October 2010 at 4:26am | IP Logged 
I don't know if this is going to be helpful since it's pretty specific to the materials I used, but this is how I learned Devanagari. When I took a course in Sanskrit, my teacher told us we had to learn the script for the next class (two days away!). So I did... kind of. I used this pack of flash cards and drilled constantly for 48 hours:

http://www.amazon.com/Sanskrit-Flash-Cards-Nicolai-Bachman/d p/188372502X/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1288316887&sr=8-2- fkmr0

(They're out of it at Amazon, but they're available all over the place. Make your own if you can. Although they do have examples of Sanskrit on them, they're really just helpful for learning the script.)

So I familiarized myself with the characters, but still had to think about them and couldn't read smoothly.

Over the next year or so, this is what I did:

We used a text which was in Roman script, but we had a companion book with all of the same exercises in Devanagari. Every night before I did translation, I began by reading the Devanagari in the companion out loud (disregarding the meaning). Then I would write it out in Roman and compare it to the textbook. After that I would take the Roman script in the textbook and write it out in Devanagari to compare to the companion. Then I would proceed to translation.

After a few months I could read pretty well without thinking about it, and after a year it felt very natural to read and write in Devanagari.

Best of luck!
2 persons have voted this message useful

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5007 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 3 of 6
29 October 2010 at 11:15am | IP Logged 
Great thanks. I think I've got a good start going, nowhere near a fluent reader yet

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4966 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 4 of 6
31 October 2010 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
I have been learning it... but I don't know it yet.
Well, Try some website teaching it, I have found one, http://www.avashy.com/hindiscripttutor.htm

Shantaram
Diglot
United States
Joined 5038 days ago

19 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Hindi, German

Message 5 of 6
24 April 2011 at 10:31am | IP Logged 
Hey I'm new to the stie so I realize this is quite an old post so I take it you no longer need any advice here. but for those who read this in the future, I would like to offer some advice:

I purchased the Teach Yourself Beginner's Hindi set by Rupert Snell. at first i wrote each letter out in a row only a few times. the book has a standard transliteration..whatever..so what i did was look at the roman script of a phrase, take "aapkaa naam kyaa hai," and i would then write out the phrase in devanagari..

you will be surprised how easily it comes if you just go over a few random texts in the book and do this.

goodluck

Gareth
Groupie
United States
Joined 5246 days ago

51 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Cherokee, French

Message 6 of 6
25 April 2011 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
Are you looking for something like this?
http://www.ukindia.com/zhin001.htm

I hope this helps.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version