Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5023 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 1 of 10
27 October 2010 at 8:11am | IP Logged 
I've been in touch with David Freedel (author of the famous PRC) for a couple of years now, and although his course is simply great, it could use some improvements to its current form, to which David agrees if someone else does the work. That would be me and any volunteers we can find :)

The content of the course would remain largely untouched, but it would be completely cleaned up and optimized in the following ways:

-All audio duplicates would be replaced with appropriate 'chopped up' versions; so instead of having "dialog X" and "dialog X with pauses and repetitions" we'd have "dialog X" parts 1 to n, a "silence" file and two playlists for every dialog (or listening r whatever): "normal" and "dialog plus pauses and repetitions". This alone would reduce the overall size of the course to roughly 50% or maybe even 33% (allowing the whole course to fit in a single data CD).
-All text documents would be moved to a single folder tree, and properly indexed. As David finds the original Word documents, they'll be converted to HTML and properly cleaned and linked and to one another and their corresponding audio files (no more looking for the right files). Answer keys can be integrated into each lesson so the exercises can be made interactive with a pinch of JavaScript. This would allow for the whole course to be displayed, navigated and used effortlessly on nearly every modern device (such as non-smart cell phones).

For the PDF fanboys out there, these files could easily be re-created in a single pass after all the cleanup is done, with interactive exercises and audio all embedded in them = no more looking for the right files that go with lesson X.

I have already converted a few lessons and I'll be more than happy to show the results to any volunteers that want to collaborate with this project (a lot to discuss yet). So... who's first? :)
5 persons have voted this message useful

hobbitofny
United States
Joined 6030 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 10
27 October 2010 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
I like the project, but I do not like using html files. I prefer either word or pdf.
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5023 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 3 of 10
28 October 2010 at 4:28am | IP Logged 
I won't argue about platform-specific data formats; as said, any of those can be easily generated afterwards.

Texas42
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 5273 days ago

13 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, Spanish, English

Message 4 of 10
22 November 2010 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
That would be great. It's one of the best Russian courses available online.

What I miss in this course is the absence of answers to the exercises. I believe that if someone could provide them, it would become much more useful to study Russian from scratch.

Edited by Texas42 on 22 November 2010 at 2:15pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Ericounet
France
yojik.euRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5232 days ago

157 posts - 414 votes 
Studies: English, German, Russian

Message 5 of 10
25 November 2010 at 8:29am | IP Logged 
Hi,

10 days ago, I wrote to David Freedel : exactly what I wanted to do, with translation of the course in French (I'm French). He wrote that he'll send to me the documents in .doc format, when he'll get some time. Maybe I could suggest to use the docbook format: it's an xml format that can be processed with numerous tools to extract vocabulary, make the translations etc ...the docbook can generate html, pdf, text or any other format (just a suggestion :) ). Html will be fine if you prefer.

We could join the efforts.

Strange to have the same idea in the same time. (my wife is from Kazakhstan and speaks nativelly Russian, and I thought to do some recordings: she allready recorded vocabulary for the shtooka project (see http://shtooka.net). There is also available there a tool dedicated to record list of words/phrases (shtooka recorder). I wrote one for Linux 3 years ago (http://www.yojik.eu ), but I'm writing a new version at the moment (will be finished for Christmas)

At the moment, I'm converting the FSI course (Russian) in docbook format (big job ..), for translation, re-recording of vocabulary, phrases, and to provide the answers of the exercices (easier when you study alone).

best regards

Eric!
-----

ps: openoffice can work with the docbook format.
see: docbook.org for docbook use and documentation, http://www.lisa.org/Translation-Memory-e.34.0.html#c33 for xliff and TMX format.

ps2: all our work is GPL and free (recordings, programs ...)

Edited by Ericounet on 25 November 2010 at 12:55pm

Rudy (SWI)
Tetraglot
Switzerland
prokom.ch/Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4843 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: German*, Italian, French, English

Message 6 of 10
31 January 2011 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
Hi,

I've been learning Russian at a school for adults, for four years. And I do use Mr. Freedels Princton course with
great pleasure – it e.g. helps learning an every day spoken language.

In the course of using the Princton files, I found quite a number of mistakes in the pdf files, and also in some
mp3's (e.g. lesson SLA101/73); sometimes things are left out.

I tried to correct mistakes in the pdfs with Acrobat Pro but couldn't manage because of font incompatibilities. So I
already twice wrote to Mr. Freedel to send me the fonts used, but didn't get an answer.

Well, if the whole stuff was created in MS Word, and if you are in possession of the files, it would be great if
you could send me the plain Word files.
. I would gradually return them to you with my suggestions for
corrections.

Basic suggestions:
1. In the grammatical parts, Mr. Freedel mostly offers the verbs' stems, but not the infinitives which isn't very
helpful - my opinion
2. There are no solutions to the written homework pages, unfortunately, but I guess the answers could only be
given by a native speaker - or a teacher.

Looking forward to your reply, yours
Rudy

Normunds
Pentaglot
Groupie
Switzerland
Joined 5761 days ago

86 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, French, English, Russian, German
Studies: Mandarin, Indonesian

Message 7 of 10
31 January 2011 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
-All audio duplicates would be replaced with appropriate 'chopped up' versions; so instead of having "dialog X" and "dialog X with pauses and repetitions" we'd have "dialog X" parts 1 to n, a "silence" file and two playlists for every dialog (or listening r whatever): "normal" and "dialog plus pauses and repetitions". This alone would reduce the overall size of the course to roughly 50% or maybe even 33% (allowing the whole course to fit in a single data CD).

would not it be quite a bother as there are many devices that do not support playlists? Today making it one CD more or less is of little importance. Well on a phone with little memory, that still has a player that supports playlists... maybe. And for the rest still provide the "uncut" version?

On the other hand you plan support text for different other devices that possibly are not able to play the lists:
mrwarper wrote:
This would allow for the whole course to be displayed, navigated and used effortlessly on nearly every modern device (such as non-smart cell phones).

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5023 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 8 of 10
03 February 2011 at 4:07am | IP Logged 
Sorry everybody, I had replying here pending but I got distracted all the time...

@Ericounet: I'm not really interested in translations of the course as such; if I ever produce a Spanish version of the PRC I'll rewrite quite a good deal of it. Anyway, it is always a good idea to join efforts when possible. WRT docbook vs HTML, I have no experience or knowledge of docbook, but I think we should have no problems converting back and forth.

I think the most important requirement to join efforts is to precise as much as possible our goals and see what things we can work on together. WRT that I got in touch with Anton, the guy at myrussianteacher.org, too; he said he'd announce we're looking for more volunteers but never heard back from him.

@Rudy: D. Freedel said he was thinking about adding an answer key to the course but I never heard back of him again either. Meanwhile I started one on my won with a little help from my friends, but we didn't get too far. WRT to the word files, I think I scrapped them as soon as I got clean HTML because it's so much easier to work with. I can look for them just in case, though. Anyway, meanwhile you can send me your corrections. The special fonts are not needed anymore, because the cleaned up version of the course is fully UTFized, so diacritic marks upon Cyrillic vowels and such pose no problems.

@Normunds:
1) An 'uncut' version can be easily generated form a chopped one, either on demand or as a permanent part of the revamped course. The chopped versions of dialogs etc. are very interesting to produce, however, because they provide 'natural' points to stop, advance to, and the like during a lesson (no need to 'rewind' or 'fast forward').
2) I have an old (one of my students dixit) Sony Z750 phone that has a fairy decent HTML browser and supports m3u playlists. I expect everyone else to have more advanced gadgets than me. Am I very unrealistic? Nonetheless, once we finish cleaning up the course, support for any other kind of devices (f.e. generation of continuous audio, text format conversion,... ) will be fairly easy to add.

Then again, the 'old' version will still be floating around for a while for those who prefer it, so that shouldn't be a problem either.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version