BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5026 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 1 of 25
30 October 2010 at 6:07am | IP Logged 
I decided to start this log because I am doing the Platiquemos program of Spanish, and
in my experience the user irrationale's log of his experience with the program has
really helped and inspired me. I hope to maybe do this for somebody else.
Interestingly enough, I am also following irrationale's footsteps and will take on
Mandarin when I feel my Spanish is solid.

My exercise in Spanish thus far has consisted of:

Pimsleur I, and only the first 2-3 lessons from Pimsleur II.
Platiquemos Units 1-6.
Speaking with native speakers at work.

It's taken me about 2 months to complete these 6 units of Platiquemos. I think I can
pick up the pace and maybe do one unit every two or three days from now on though, we
will see.

Edited by BobbyE on 18 July 2012 at 6:35am

1 person has voted this message useful

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5026 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 3 of 25
30 October 2010 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
Thanks Paranday. I feel the drive to learn both Mandarin and Cantonese. Besides language study, there are only two major focuses in my life. One is women, and the other is kungfu. The art is very close to my heart, and I know that learning these languages will open me up to other opportunities of deepening my knowledge of it. Also, I wish to someday develop connections in China in order to hopefully witness a teacher that I would willfully call "a master", so far I've only seen one, and to develop those connections, I figure my Mandarin AND Cantonese both better be pretty damn good. Besides that, the writing, aesthetics, and cultures of the languages are amazing in and of themselves.

I can't wait, but first, Spanish.

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5026 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 4 of 25
31 October 2010 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
Finished Unit 7 today. I probably worked on the conversation stimulus for an hour to an hour and a half, and still wasn't 100% on the ball. I best move forward though.

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5026 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 5 of 25
03 November 2010 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
I started unit 9 yesterday. I'm still working on the basic sentences. The conversation stimulus for unit 8 was quite difficult for me, and I think a big part of it is not remembering what was said in English. I decided to move ahead as I was consistently getting most of it correct, although a few minor mistakes here and there. I definitely answered each one correctly multiple times, but never got 100% all the way through.

I hope proceeding with less than a perfect 100% will not ruin my final ability to speak Spanish, we will find out.

Also, I think the units are starting to get a little bit easier, besides the conv. stimulus.

Edited by BobbyE on 03 November 2010 at 8:28pm

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5026 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 6 of 25
06 November 2010 at 8:11am | IP Logged 
Still on unit 9, just real happy that I've finally reached the present perfect tense, it was just barely touched on at the end of Pimsleur I. Just one tiny step, but actually widens the questions and statements I can make quite dramatically.

I also like that Platiquemos actually names the grammar principals being taught. The understanding gained because of this I think will help me with my future language learning.

I should finish Unit 9 tomorrow or on Sunday. Which means I'm doing two units a week, which is not bad.

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5026 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 7 of 25
15 November 2010 at 8:27am | IP Logged 
Damn did unit 9 take me longer than I had planned. Almost two weeks. I missed a day or two of study too.   Listening to the song at the end of it now. I feel good, Level I is complete. I'm trottin' along.

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5026 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 8 of 25
12 December 2010 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Just finished Unit 10. The last two weeks have been all about doing this term's worth of homework I procrastinated on. So really, Unit 10 was about two weeks of work.

I've decided not to try and cram the Spanish. I am just going to work steadily through Platiquemos.

On each lesson I allow a buffer zone of about 2 or 3 mistakes, which are usually caused not by my error in Spanish but in my attention drifting away from the ever so boring FSI exercises. I figure that stressing on the 100% is not worth it.

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version